Author Topic: God aweful gas mileage (22R)  (Read 7092 times)

Zs Confederate Toy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,146
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
God aweful gas mileage (22R)
« on: Mar 08, 2012, 12:22:11 AM »
I have the worst gas mileage I have ever heard of on a yota. I clocked it out to around 10ish. Its a 22r bored 40 over with about 6k on a new rebuild. I rebuilt the carb around the same time. It has gotten progressively worse over the last month or so and is starting to really piss me off. I can't seem to get a grasp on it. I know it HAS something to do with the carb. It runs rich no matter how I adjust it and has had a mean as hell backfire ever since I bought the damn thing. I figured rebuilding it would help, I was wrong. I figured that adjusting the air/fuel mixture would help, wrong again. I played with the timing and nothing really changed. I am almost at my wits end lol I don't wanna buy a new carb because I am switching to a Weber when my buddy gets around to puttin the EFI :pokinit: on his. I just don't wanna spend a whole $20 to go to work and back. Anyone have any ideas?
ZACH
87 Rock Rat X
80 SR5 The Shady Lady
Trail Junky

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
Re: God aweful gas mileage (22R)
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2012, 08:59:53 AM »
thats a toyota carb for ya, all I can say is get a good carb on it asap.
or do a efi swap

skin6061

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2012, 06:49:47 PM »
I had some similiar issues with my truck lately and chased my issues to the vacuum advance -distributor.  The last thing i tested after months of dealing/ tinkering with it.   i tested mine like the my manual says and it failed.  Luckily i had a spare that tested fine.  since replacing it with a good one, my gas mileage is better, no back fire and smoother throttle acceleration.   I'm running a weber instead of the stock carb though.

Zs Confederate Toy [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2012, 01:02:17 AM »
After tossing it around on the other forums and lookin into other threads/compilations of carb crap, I found that my AAP is leaking (fuel in vac lines) and I have a few minor vac leaks.
thats a toyota carb for ya, all I can say is get a good carb on it asap.
or do a efi swap
I am hopefully gettin my buddies weber sooner than later. EFI would be nice but I can't really afford gettin the swap stuff right now.
ZACH
87 Rock Rat X
80 SR5 The Shady Lady
Trail Junky

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2012, 02:35:12 AM »
Once upon a time when I rebuilt a carb, I had switched the primary and secondary jets.....................

:smack:

It ran really really rich.......

:yupyup: :yupyup:
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2012, 06:47:10 PM »
dude, get all those vacuum lines replaced and in the correct position. being in the wrong position can cause your fuel consumption problems
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Mad Dog

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -11
  • Member since Apr '12
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 02, 2012, 09:23:56 AM »
That is just plain nuts. !!

10 MPG on a little 4cly. Now I was going to start a complete new thread but If I may Just Hijack this one. I am Researching and developing a intake and carb system that could potentially get 40 mpg, on a similiar displacement engine,

Or When Wheeling and off roading I like to go by amount per hour,

Now I have in years past Taken this intake system and retro fit a passenger car and increased the fuel mileage by 10 MPG, With a few re designs I hope to fair better this go around

Now From Talking with the folks running propane that seems to be the way to go as well. Unless it is exagerrated sounds like propane systems on these little 4 banngers is quite a improvement in fuel consumption.

So Stay tuned for pictures, I have almost completed the task of obtaining all the parts and have the Vehicle stripped down and ready for the installation

I have named this Project "Nadir" the lowest possible point, opposite of Zenith, the type of updraft carb I like to work with.

But 10 MPG in a 4 Cly is disgustingly pathetic

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 05, 2012, 06:42:11 AM »
I have the worst gas mileage I have ever heard of on a yota. I clocked it out to around 10ish. Its a 22r bored 40 over with about 6k on a new rebuild. I rebuilt the carb around the same time. It has gotten progressively worse over the last month or so and is starting to really piss me off. I can't seem to get a grasp on it. I know it HAS something to do with the carb. It runs rich no matter how I adjust it and has had a mean as hell backfire ever since I bought the damn thing. I figured rebuilding it would help, I was wrong. I figured that adjusting the air/fuel mixture would help, wrong again. I played with the timing and nothing really changed. I am almost at my wits end lol I don't wanna buy a new carb because I am switching to a Weber when my buddy gets around to puttin the EFI :pokinit: on his. I just don't wanna spend a whole $20 to go to work and back. Anyone have any ideas?
search puregas.org and find some gas without ethanol in it.
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Toyospearo

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 05, 2012, 08:44:02 AM »
Check your float level.   The gas in the window should be halfway.

Zs Confederate Toy [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #9 on: Apr 05, 2012, 10:42:42 AM »
Float level is good. I ended up re doing all of the vac lines and followed the diagram from the bluebass desgin site. I also replaced the accelerator pump diaphragm with a OEM Toyota one. Cost me $50 but it helped out a lot. I also re-timed it back down to about 8 deg. I am getting about 20 mpg now. But there are a few bugs to work out still. After I get a little over half pedal it bogs down and sputters, and I think the choke is sticking. When I pull up to a stop light the idle jumps up to about a grand and I have to tap the pedal to bring the idle back down to 800 or so. Its a work in progress but I am gettin there
ZACH
87 Rock Rat X
80 SR5 The Shady Lady
Trail Junky

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 10, 2012, 05:48:28 PM »
sounds good

Toyospearo

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 10, 2012, 06:33:46 PM »
Check your fuel cutoff solenoid.  Make sure you have a good ground (Battery).  Apply power to the + and you should hear a little "click."  Thats how you know it is working.  I would wire the negative wire directly to the battery.  That way you know its grounded good.