Author Topic: diesel conversions  (Read 4639 times)

ironbasher

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
diesel conversions
« on: Aug 27, 2007, 06:49:59 PM »
hi everybody does anybody on this post have any experience with the diesel conversions done by dieseltoyz in texas? the current toyota diesel from japan they are using has numbers like the current six but occur at 1600 to 1800 rpm. and would this be compatible with one of marlins crawlers?I live  in fresno and am getting back into wheeling after a a 25 year hiatus, are there any folks in fresno area doing factory type conversions on 1990 to 2005 toyotas? thanks for any and all help and direction! ironbasher

Willy Mammoth

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Re: diesel conversions
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2007, 06:54:26 PM »
:wave: I have said 1kzte and it is a monster.

125 hp   214 ft lbs
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2007, 09:40:08 PM »
The one person in the fresno area I'd look into helping with this is........ wait for it.......

Bigmike at Marlin Crawler, Inc.  :haha:  Not that he's experienced with it, but he's good at figuring out what needs to be done with the wiring, etc.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Willy Mammoth

• Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 2007, 04:27:33 AM »
We are going to be there at Marlins shop in Sept for the round up, you are welcome to come by and see this engine, maybe even take a ride to feel the power.

Somewhere around the 12th.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Sep 01, 2007, 05:33:46 PM »
i dont know the specifics on the smaller diesels but heres something to think about. if you get a diesel with mechanical injection there is no computer to worry about, very little wiring to take care of (1 wire run to the injection pump shutoff solenoid, wires to the lift pump located along the fuel line, and wires to the starter). if you have an old carb'd truck as your starting platform there are no extra wires you need to run. simply run the wire that went to the distributor to the injection pump shutoff solenoid, the starter wires to the starter, and the fuel pump wires to the lift pump (some people use the original fuel pump as the lift pump).

if you go electronic, well ask mark (willy mammoth) or check out his build thread back around page 90.

some mechanical injection motors to think about are:
-nissan sd22: 2.2L that is not powerfull or quick, but amazing on fuel economy. fairly easy to find as well, but will require a new bellhousing. used in some generators and 2wd nissan pickups from the 80's.

-nissan sd25: 2.5L turbo diesel that is more powerfull with slightly less fuel economy, also requires a new bellhousing. little more difficult to find but is a good option to go with if money is tight. used in the UD trucks and a few other places.

-cummins 4bt: 3.9L turbo diesel that is easily the most powerfull of the 4cyl diesel motors. frame reinforcement, heavier duty front springs, and upgrading your t-case to a 23 spline would be required because this motor is easily tuned to over 400 ft/lbs of torque. weight is similar to a gm 6.2L diesel (roughly 800 pounds dry). great on fuel economy though and easily the strongest 4cyl available. can find this motor in construction equipment and box trucks (UPS trucks for example). baseline for this motor is around 240 ft/lbs of torque.

none of the motors i listed are a direct bolt in, afraid i dont know anything about the toyota diesels.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #5 on: Sep 02, 2007, 07:17:51 AM »
I am still waiting for someone to figure out the best way to do a 5cyl merc diesel swap...theres tons of them around.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Sep 02, 2007, 08:12:29 AM »
i think nobody has done them because of having to get a custom bellhousing made. all the engines i listed have bellhousing adapters already made in the aftermarket from places like advance adapters, but for some reason i've never seen one for a mercedes diesel.

USAF EOD tech

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #7 on: Sep 02, 2007, 05:47:00 PM »
I know the bellhousing is an issue...maybe using the merc transmission and divorcing a toy case would work out best...I don't know, but it is something I have tossed around a bit.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

TacoStewie

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 816
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 02, 2007, 06:31:13 PM »
in septemember DieselPower mag they have a 1st gen bronco with the cummins 4BT in it and looks clean.  but everything is one off and might take some time. 

just have Mr mammoth make a bellhousing
4THEWKN

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #9 on: Sep 02, 2007, 07:36:32 PM »
the cummins 4bt is becomming more and more common in the fullsize rigs, expecially ford and gm because the 4bt comes with either a ford manual tranny bellhousing or a gm automatic bellhousing attached to it. mods for the cummins 6bt (12 valve) work on the 4bt with the exception of needing enough for only 4 cylinders instead of 6. better fuel economy as well. the best that i know of (confirmed) in a lifted 4x4 is 28 mpg at 70 mph (US gallons, not imperial). nv4500 5 speed manual tranny, 4.10 axle gears with 36x12.5" tires, 4" lift on an 80's era chevy blazer. cranking out around 500 ft/lbs of torque when he did the fuel economy testing. last time i checked he was over 900 ft/lbs of torque with that motor (he's trying to find out how much it can take), he's done alot of work to the motor.

USAF EOD tech

LWB_Samurai_Joe

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '02
  • The bigger the tire, the smaller the obsticle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 11, 2011, 09:54:56 AM »
Ive got a Inmotion chipped Jeep Liberty that gets 345 ft pounds at the rear wheel! 

Itll burn both tires on dry pavement.  That and she gets 36 mph on the highway at 60 mph
1988 long wheelbase Samurai

1984 toyota 2.4 liter 2L diesel motor
1984 toyota G52 5 speed tranny
1984 toyota front axle, 5.29 gears, ARB locker and high pinion 3rd member
1984 toyota rear axle, 5.29 gears, ARB locker and V6 3rd member
Marlin 4.70