Author Topic: Smog Question  (Read 4684 times)

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Smog Question
« on: Jun 29, 2010, 09:05:03 PM »
So I went to smog my '87 2wd Toy today and it didn't pass on the 15mph test.  The NO levels were too high.  The max allowable is 789 PPM and mine was 1204 PPM.  Two years and 508 miles ago (yes you read that right - it sits a lot) my NO level on the 15 mph test was 1119 PPM and the max allowable then was 1128 PPM at the same smog station with the same smog tech.  

The only thing that was different with this smog test is that it has some older gas in it now and the Max allowable NO levels dropped 339 PPM.

Now my question is why did the max NO levels drop so severely?  The motor in this truck is a 22re and is pretty well hopped up with a TRD midrange cam, 12.4:1 compression (probably why the NO is high), header, intake, bigger racing valves...yadayadayada.....and it runs great, but I don't think it will ever pass smog with this high of NO unless I through in a stock motor.  Does anyone have a clue what to do?
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2010, 09:51:28 PM by BUDDERS »
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

88yota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 83
  • Member since Apr '10
    • View Profile
Re: Smog Question
« Reply #1 on: Jun 29, 2010, 09:29:37 PM »
I had very high nox levels....a new cat fixed it down to nothing

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #2 on: Jun 29, 2010, 09:40:33 PM »
Add a restricter after the cat to add backpressure...    (about 3/4" hole).

The backpressure will help with EGR which will reduce NOX

Take out after test.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

BUDDERS [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 29, 2010, 09:50:02 PM »
Add a restricter after the cat to add backpressure...    (about 3/4" hole).

The backpressure will help with EGR which will reduce NOX

Take out after test.

Really?  Will that drop it 400 PPM?  Are you talking about a plate with a 3/4" hole bolted between the flanges or a smaller diameter section of pipe?

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #4 on: Jun 29, 2010, 09:58:11 PM »
Holes add up to about 3/4" hole.

The EGR valve needs some backpressure to work.    It might just do it............

Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

BUDDERS [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 29, 2010, 10:21:02 PM »
Hmmmm....now you got me thinking.

8D3TOY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 30, 2010, 08:01:44 AM »
I just failed due to high No (see my post in how to pass smog)  I added some RPX gas kicker, recomended in the thread went back the next day and passed with flying coclors.  There were some other factors so there is no hard proof the RXP wroked but it didnt hurt.  $6 at AutoZone is easier than a new cat.

yotarunner85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 166
  • Member since Nov '09
  • San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 30, 2010, 08:54:54 AM »
Have the same problem with my 85 22RE (cam, big valves, higher compression, & header) every smog. My NOX were at 1200. So what I did is tee into the vacuum line that goes to the EGR valve then tee in to the ported vacuum line off the throttle body & hide the vacuum line under the intake plenum. What this does is at part throttle the ported vacuum source applies more vacuum to the EGR valve than normal causing the EGR vavle to open more & that = less NOX. After the smog I take the vacuum line off and throw it in my glove box for next time. Been doing this for the last 8 years. Also what helps is making sure that the cat is real hot. I sit outside the smog shop & run the engine at 2000 RPMs untill he is ready to smog it. Good luck.
1985 Toyota 4Runner, BFG 35" MTs, 4" lift, Detroits lockers front & rear,5.29, V6 rear, rebuilt 22RE.

BUDDERS [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 30, 2010, 10:35:23 AM »
Have the same problem with my 85 22RE (cam, big valves, higher compression, & header) every smog. My NOX were at 1200. So what I did is tee into the vacuum line that goes to the EGR valve then tee in to the ported vacuum line off the throttle body & hide the vacuum line under the intake plenum. What this does is at part throttle the ported vacuum source applies more vacuum to the EGR valve than normal causing the EGR vavle to open more & that = less NOX. After the smog I take the vacuum line off and throw it in my glove box for next time. Been doing this for the last 8 years. Also what helps is making sure that the cat is real hot. I sit outside the smog shop & run the engine at 2000 RPMs untill he is ready to smog it. Good luck.

So what exactly are you bypassing? The modulator, the VSV or both?  I understand that your trying to open the EGR earlier which makes sense although I don't know if it will help that much.

yotarunner85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '09
  • San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 30, 2010, 01:32:08 PM »
Not really bypassing anything just adding more vacuum. The modulator applies vacuum to the Egr and I tee into the line that goes to the Egr. The other end of the line gets teed into the ported vacuum line off of the throttlebody so it only applies the vacuum to the Egr at part throttle. Runs crappy but thats what I do to get it to pass. Oh I also back the timing off to 3 or 4 degrees from the stock setting.
1985 Toyota 4Runner, BFG 35" MTs, 4" lift, Detroits lockers front & rear,5.29, V6 rear, rebuilt 22RE.

8D3TOY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 30, 2010, 10:53:01 PM »
I read on a smog site that high NOX is a product of high combustion chamber temps, instead of getting it really hot just get to normal operating temp.  I went from 1276 down to 62 with no mods other than normal operating temp and RXP gas kicker in the tank.

yotarunner85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '09
  • San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 01, 2010, 09:06:25 AM »
Yes, NOX emission are a product of high combustion chamber temps, not to be confused with engine temps. Raising the compression on an engine will raise combustion temps. NOX emissions are produced when the combustion temps are above 2500 degrees. What the EGR does is let a controlled amount of exhaust gas into the combustion chamber, which is inert and doesn't burn. This inert gas takes up space in the combustion chamber so less of a air fuel mixture will enter the combustion chamber, effectively lowering the compression, combustion chamber temps & NOX emissions.  The reason I run the engine at 2000 RPMs before the smog is to make sure the Cat is at operating temp. Catalytic converters are more efficient when at operating temp. allowing them to burn off more pollutants (CO, HC, & NOX).
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2010, 09:17:29 AM by yotarunner85 »

gtoyonrocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 977
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 01, 2010, 09:17:46 AM »
There is a entire section on the forum on how to pass smog, just do a quick search.
1985 toy, Hybrid 20r/22r on propane, 30splines, custom built leaf packs, welded front and rear diffs, dual ultimate crawler, full hydro, full exo, flat bed, 37' mtrs

BUDDERS [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 01, 2010, 11:14:27 AM »
Yes, NOX emission are a product of high combustion chamber temps, not to be confused with engine temps. Raising the compression on an engine will raise combustion temps. NOX emissions are produced when the combustion temps are above 2500 degrees. What the EGR does is let a controlled amount of exhaust gas into the combustion chamber, which is inert and doesn't burn. This inert gas takes up space in the combustion chamber so less of a air fuel mixture will enter the combustion chamber, effectively lowering the compression, combustion chamber temps & NOX emissions.  The reason I run the engine at 2000 RPMs before the smog is to make sure the Cat is at operating temp. Catalytic converters are more efficient when at operating temp. allowing them to burn off more pollutants (CO, HC, & NOX).

Thanks for the education.  I took all of the Toyota classes through T-ten except for the smog class so smog no-how is definately my downfall.  I think I'm going to try a combination of replys above.

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 01, 2010, 12:10:51 PM »
Thanks for the education.  I took all of the Toyota classes through T-ten except for the smog class so smog no-how is definately my downfall.  I think I'm going to try a combination of replys above.

I graduated from the 1st T-TEN class program in AZ 22 yrs ago. In fact Iyogo Togo(toyota's president) came for the ribbon cutting ceremonies. Some of my old instructors are still there(GateWay College, Phx, Az) Yeah, they didn't cover carburated smog stuff, only efi. From what I can remember anyway.
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

gtoyonrocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 977
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 01, 2010, 02:03:12 PM »
Check out this post by Mike. There is a lot of good info in there. I hope this helps. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=1119.0;highlight=how+to+pass+smog
1985 toy, Hybrid 20r/22r on propane, 30splines, custom built leaf packs, welded front and rear diffs, dual ultimate crawler, full hydro, full exo, flat bed, 37' mtrs

yotarunner85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '09
  • San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sep 16, 2010, 08:48:18 AM »
Just got my 1985 Toyota 4Runner smogged (in San Diego county) and passed. I backed the timing down 3 degrees from stock and ran a vacuum line from the ported vacuum on the throttlebody and teed in to the EGR line.(I do this to keep my NOX down due to my engine mods.) Also got the cat hot before the test.
 Here are my results:

15 mph / 1815 rpms / 14.17 co2 / 1.42 o2 / 113 hc / 0.03 co / 570 nox /
25 mph / 1848 rpms / 14.65 co2 / 0.64 o2 /  73 hc / 0.01 co / 299 nox /

Good for another 2 years.

BUDDERS [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 09:08:14 PM »
OK, so I finally got around to smog this truck again after failing back in October.

All I did was get my EGR valve to open up earlier by adding a small vacuum line and a couple T's under hidden under the throttle body and add the RXP additive to the gas tank.  I ran a full tank of gas with the additive through the motor until the fuel tank was dry (I'm glad I was there to turn it off before the fuel pump burned up) and then topped it off with a new tank of '91 octane and ran it over to the smog shop.

My NO levels went from the low 1200 PPM to 289 PPM!!!!!!!!  This was on low speed idle which I failed before.

I passed with flying colors!!!!!! 

The smog print out sheet had the state average at 450 and something PPM.  Mine was well below average.

Thanks guys for the help.  I guess you gotta be smarter than the smog machine with these old trucks......

yotarunner85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '09
  • San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 02:12:05 PM »
Right on :thumbs: Good for 2 more years  :beerchug:

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2011, 02:16:59 PM »
i am interested if your few hidden vacumum lines were what did it or not?

are you going to leave them in, or take them out? out of pure curiosity, i'm not trying to bust you ;) lol

was there a vacuum deficiency you had before?

:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BUDDERS [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 04:30:59 PM »
Nah, I bet the vacuum lines for the EGR had nothing to do with it.  I think it opened up about 300 rpms lower.

yotarunner85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '09
  • San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 05:24:25 PM »
Take the vacuum lines out and retest, then you'll know the difference. That's what I did, but I have access to a smog machine.

BUDDERS [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2011, 06:54:37 PM »
I don't have access to a smog machine anymore.  I have to pay to get it smogged and I wanted to do everything as much as possible to get it to pass without taking it in for a 3rd time.

yotarunner85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '09
  • San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2011, 07:49:30 PM »
I know what you mean it's a pain in the  :moon: