Author Topic: electrical issues with 2006 Dodge 3500  (Read 3737 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
electrical issues with 2006 Dodge 3500
« on: Nov 14, 2009, 10:14:04 PM »
Thought I had a short somewhere, but I'm not so sure now. 

Initially, I went out to start my truck, when I started it the door ajar light stayed on, and so did the dome and cargo lights.  The only way I got the dome light off was by turning the dimmer switch all the way down, to the level just above the dash lights being off. The cargo light would not turn off, and neither would the door ajar light (yes, all the doors were closed)

After pulling the fuses to get them to go off, they stayed off when the fuses were put back in. 
The next morning, my radio came on when I turned the truck on, but once I started it, it wouldn't work.  It was still getting power, as the clock would still display when the button was pushed.  That is now an intermittent problem.

Just tonight I noticed the headlights dimming a bit, then coming back up, as well as the heater fan (simultaneous.)

Any thoughts?  Haven't checked it out thoroughly yet, voltmeter in the dash shows just over 14.  There's no fluctuation in the meter when I turn on or off any electrical equipment.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 296
  • Male Posts: 2,526
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
Re: electrical issues with 2006 Dodge 3500
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2009, 10:57:22 PM »
he's the problem.
i love oregon wheelin.

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2009, 11:28:14 PM »
yeah, I figured :down:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -52
  • Male Posts: 2,300
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
    • Right Now Racing and Fabrication
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2009, 08:51:34 AM »
sell the truck buy a toyota.............problem solved!!!!!!!!!!
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2009, 09:23:19 AM »
sell the truck buy a toyota.............problem solved!!!!!!!!!!

Already got two.

Thanks.

-Ronald Reagan

83yota

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 372
  • Member since Mar '04
  • rollin my nike's
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2009, 04:06:57 PM »
I am assuming your warrenty is gone. That is tuff. I have no idea on this one. I would guess a bad short on the groud side somewhere.
85 toyta 4runner Soon to be full widths... i hope http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=62935.0

90 toyota runner Very sadly gone
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=75563.60

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2009, 05:57:05 PM »
Bought it private party, so I doubt it's still under warranty.  Unless the factory warranty is transferable. Have to check into that

-Ronald Reagan

Blingn

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 155
  • Male Posts: 2,356
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2009, 07:36:07 AM »
see if you can pull codes, the bcm controls alot of that and if so you should have codes stored.  Pm me what they are and I can take care of it for you.

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2009, 01:48:43 PM »
I'll give it a shot. Thanks matt!

-Ronald Reagan

83yota

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 372
  • Member since Mar '04
  • rollin my nike's
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2009, 02:15:17 PM »
www.dodgeownerforums.com they WILL have the answer. One of the guys there is a service rep for dodge. just ask they will help you out
85 toyta 4runner Soon to be full widths... i hope http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=62935.0

90 toyota runner Very sadly gone
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=75563.60

spankyjr

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 05, 2011, 11:51:40 AM »
Thought I had a short somewhere, but I'm not so sure now. 

Initially, I went out to start my truck, when I started it the door ajar light stayed on, and so did the dome and cargo lights.  The only way I got the dome light off was by turning the dimmer switch all the way down, to the level just above the dash lights being off. The cargo light would not turn off, and neither would the door ajar light (yes, all the doors were closed)

After pulling the fuses to get them to go off, they stayed off when the fuses were put back in. 
The next morning, my radio came on when I turned the truck on, but once I started it, it wouldn't work.  It was still getting power, as the clock would still display when the button was pushed.  That is now an intermittent problem.

Just tonight I noticed the headlights dimming a bit, then coming back up, as well as the heater fan (simultaneous.)

Any thoughts?  Haven't checked it out thoroughly yet, voltmeter in the dash shows just over 14.  There's no fluctuation in the meter when I turn on or off any electrical equipment.
Maybe check your batteries if one is starting to take a poop it will mess with other and vice versa, if your volt meter or amp meter is showing 14vdc doesn't mean the battery or batteries are holding the charge and computer doesn't like it.

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 05, 2011, 04:11:35 PM »
Might be good advice  :headscratch:  but the thread was from 2009.... he probably has it fixed by now.  :dunno:
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.