Author Topic: 87 4runner 22re feels like timing is not advancing when cold  (Read 1243 times)

Aaronm

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 164
  • Male Posts: 404
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
My 87 4runner with 22re has an issue when it is cold and it doesn't do this when warmed up unless it sits for around 30 minutes. It feels like the timing doesn't advance for just a few seconds and then takes off @2nd to 3rd gear. I do get code 7 that says the TPS has a short or problem or that it could be a ECU problem. I have replaced both the TPS with a brand new one and the ECU and the problem has not changed at all and I still have the code. It doesn't affect the performance of the truck when warmed up at all and I don't want to throw any more parts at this. TPS was set up according to the directions in the tech book. Also changed out the temp sending unit below the thermostat housing and have not affected the problem at all. Thanks for the help!
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point, in your rambling incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -369
  • Male Posts: 1,418
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
Is it hard to start ?

The code 7 is a very broad error code.  It says its tps but if you follow the electrical tree you will see other sensors and what not are in line.  Which means it can be a few other things. 
I would check your o2 sensor 1st.  Without seeing it in person its hard to walk ya thru it.

Aaronm [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
I'll start with O2 sensor tomorrow and let you know, the one I have is a kragen special so who knows if it is working or what.
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point, in your rambling incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Aaronm [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
Changed 02 sensor and cleared codes. Same stumble but it changed also code 7 is still there. It has never been hard to start, this is my 6th toy and it seems to start the same as any other.