Author Topic: New to Toyota's  (Read 2323 times)

YotaDogBoy

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Member since Oct '11
    • View Profile
New to Toyota's
« on: Oct 19, 2011, 04:36:41 PM »
I am new to the site and I am currently without a ride.  I used to wheel a J**p but life happened and I had to part ways with it a few years ago. :rivers:  I just spent this past weekend on the Rubicon in my friends 4Runner and I am hooked.  I will be buying and building my own ride very soon. :thumbs:
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2011, 05:20:24 PM by YotaDogBoy »

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 1,426
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
Re: New to Toyota's
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2011, 04:38:45 PM »
 :welcome:  to  :turtle:

Your lucky, you get to start from scratch.  Do your research then buy a rig, and start adding parts.

BadnewsBob

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 350
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2011, 06:20:19 PM »
 :welcome:  I have a truck.....Just bought a buggie project......I still want a 85 runner :(
AE2 USN ret
No matter where ya go..... there ya are.
Hillbilly Offroad
84 xtra cab on 63" chevies and RUF 35" KM2s 22R 5 speed DTC 5.29s Locked front and rear.

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -52
  • Male Posts: 2,300
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
    • Right Now Racing and Fabrication
« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2011, 08:05:31 PM »
buy a rig. wheel it bone stock for a bit. get to kno it. then start building youll have a better idea of the durection you want to go.  when you do build get a complete plan before the first bolt is turned.  too many builds go down hill fast bc a plan wasnt made .
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

Dingman.

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2011, 10:08:42 PM »
What are your plans?

truck or runner?

YotaDogBoy [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Member since Oct '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2011, 10:42:13 PM »
leaning towards an xtra cab truck, probably an 85 since it comes already fuel injected and solid front axle.  I agree completely with yotaneck13's advice to wheel it bone stock for a while then build up.  I am not new to wheeling, but I am new to wheeling a yota so I would like to get a feel for it and it looks like a stock 85 is a good start.  Right now I am leaning towards putting a 2nd trans case in, a Detroit in the rear and an E-locker in the front, but that is subject to change after finding the truck and doing a little research.  thanks for the welcome.

Dingman.

• Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 2011, 10:45:07 PM »
Right on!

I think my favorite addition to my 4runner has been the dual cases.
I have said it before, i think if i did it again duals would probably be one of the first things i would do. 

Welcome to marlin

builttoabuse

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -33
  • Male Posts: 498
  • Member since Aug '11
  • toy obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2011, 09:34:23 AM »
Right on!

I think my favorite addition to my 4runner has been the dual cases.
I have said it before, i think if i did it again duals would probably be one of the first things i would do. 

Welcome to marlin

how hard is it to put in a dual?
toy obsessed!

Dingman.

• Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2011, 09:50:00 AM »
Depends one what its going into.  For a v6 you need to buy a v6 to 4cyl adapter, a dual case adapter, obtain two 4cyl gear driven cases, two cases need to be 23 spline, need a icrossmember, and drivelines.

For a 4cyl you just need a dual case adapter, one more tcase, and drivelines. Crossmember would be a good idea too

builttoabuse

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Aug '11
  • toy obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 20, 2011, 09:54:40 AM »
im kind confused i was reading about them so you can buy a dtc yo add on or another opion is to get a couple of 4cyl t cases and rebuild them to dtc?
toy obsessed!

BadnewsBob

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 350
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #10 on: Oct 20, 2011, 10:34:56 AM »
Many ways to do it depending on what you wanna spend.....Easiest is prolly buy your truck, buy a crawl box adapter and another transfer case. Mate the two together. Another is to buy a crawlbox with adapter already installed, mate to your transfer case. Finally you can buy a dual ultimate crawler case set, remove your T case send it back as a core then bolt up the new crawl box t case combo fab Up some stuff and driveline and then go.

Simple ain't it.
AE2 USN ret
No matter where ya go..... there ya are.
Hillbilly Offroad
84 xtra cab on 63" chevies and RUF 35" KM2s 22R 5 speed DTC 5.29s Locked front and rear.

Dingman.

• Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 20, 2011, 12:14:43 PM »
It depends on what you are putting cases in.  You need gear driven cases for dual cases, that is how most people do it anyways.   

See 4cylinder trucks come with gear driven cases already so in that case you just need one more case and an adapter to bolt them together.

If you have a v6, those came with chain driven transfer cases so you have to buy two adapters, two gear driven cases along with everything else.

Basically to sum it up, you want to use gear driven cases.  If you have a 4cylinder then you only have to sorce one additional case.  If you have a v6 you have to ditch your factory chain driven case and sorce two gear driven cases and the adapters to bolt them together.

There is an adaptor to bolt a chain driven case behind a gear driven, but I only know of one person on here who runs one.

Now to top that off, there are two different style of cases as far as how the shifters are found.  There are forward shift cases and top shift cases.  The forward shift cases have the shifter that bolts to the transmission, where a top shift case, the shifter is directly on top of the tcase.    You can buy either style and convert them to top shift, but you will need the rear case as a top shift, and the crawl box will depend on your transmission style.

There are also two types of input gears for a toyota gear driven case.   21 spline inputs and 23 spline input gears.  The 23 spline inputs are stronger/bigger than the 21 spline.  23 spline inputs were found in factory turbo trucks, and 21 spline in the non turbo ones.   If you have a 4cyl you can run 21 spline all the way through.  V6 needs 23

builttoabuse

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Aug '11
  • toy obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 20, 2011, 06:17:58 PM »
okay that makes alot more sence thank you for all ur time in writting that  :bowdown:
toy obsessed!

builttoabuse

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Aug '11
  • toy obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 20, 2011, 06:19:04 PM »
i planned to eventually ditch the chain driven and get gear driven how strong are these stock trans? i hear they are pretty strong?
toy obsessed!

Dingman.

• Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 20, 2011, 06:41:07 PM »
I wouldnt really worry about the trans.  Run it until its a problem.  I am assuming you are talking about the r150 correct?   5-speed not automatic.  No clue about the autos

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Oct 20, 2011, 07:47:24 PM »
yea the r150's a tough but the v6 auto's will take a beating as well had one in my t100.  I used to beat the thingy off that truck reverse to drive never lifting off the gas letting it bounce rev in neutral before shifting.  lasted me a good 95k that way truck had 105k when i bought it and when i parked it it had 203k. getting beat everysingle day.
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

builttoabuse

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Aug '11
  • toy obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Oct 21, 2011, 07:12:18 AM »
yea the r150's a tough but the v6 auto's will take a beating as well had one in my t100.  I used to beat the thingy off that truck reverse to drive never lifting off the gas letting it bounce rev in neutral before shifting.  lasted me a good 95k that way truck had 105k when i bought it and when i parked it it had 203k. getting beat everysingle day.
haha thats funny,but i never beat my truck on the street :)
toy obsessed!

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Oct 21, 2011, 02:12:29 PM »
i did it both on street and in the mud

builttoabuse

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Aug '11
  • toy obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Oct 22, 2011, 09:56:39 AM »
nawi dont mud neither beat my truck :driving:
toy obsessed!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #19 on: Oct 22, 2011, 05:30:47 PM »
now back to our regularly scheduled program
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #20 on: Oct 22, 2011, 05:34:42 PM »
leaning towards an xtra cab truck, probably an 85 since it comes already fuel injected and solid front axle.  I agree completely with yotaneck13's advice to wheel it bone stock for a while then build up.  I am not new to wheeling, but I am new to wheeling a yota so I would like to get a feel for it and it looks like a stock 85 is a good start.  Right now I am leaning towards putting a 2nd trans case in, a Detroit in the rear and an E-locker in the front, but that is subject to change after finding the truck and doing a little research.  thanks for the welcome.
if you want to keep it a highway friendly daily driver weekend warrior I would consider a elocker front and rear or just rear and put a lunchbox locker like the lockright up front.

fwiw, Ive never ran a locker up front
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

yotajohn

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 44
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Oct 22, 2011, 07:34:22 PM »
hey im new to marlin but not to yota's i have a 87 runner spool front with hydro and it does wonderful on and off high way and arb rear.... i love it and 85 is a great choice.. i love 2nd gen yota's welcome to yota's.

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Oct 23, 2011, 07:21:07 AM »
my bad i didnt realize that wasnt the op asking questions :smack: sory bout that

BPINAZ

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -49
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Oct 25, 2011, 09:03:29 AM »
I agree, go with an 85. It'll save you money and time as apposed to doing an SAS. Not that there's anything wrong with an SAS. I wheeled a Jeep for a little while, then I got my 85 Toyota. World of difference.
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough. I've got the scars to prove it