Author Topic: Sas ? What's the best axle for a 99runner swap  (Read 10972 times)

907yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 153
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
Sas ? What's the best axle for a 99runner swap
« on: Jun 03, 2013, 10:52:38 AM »
I have an 85' axle that I was planning on swapping under my truck but scored a 99 runner for the family...what's the differences between sasing a 99runner than a 95 truck... Been collecting parts to sas the truck(almost complete) and hoping I can use them on the runner instead...
Parts list:
85' front axle
63"rear Chevy springs
Rear axle out of a 86 turbo
Front/rear diffs w/5:29's
 Skye manufacturing sas kit w/5" springs

Will these work on the runner? Or should I just sas the truck?! thanks in advance
P/s this will be my first project ever and don't have much experience if you cant already tell
86 reg cab turbo,99runner,95pickup all 4x4
09 honda rincon 680cc 4x4
2000 yamaha badger 80cc (for the kids)
Chicken nutt bread!!!

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: Sas ? What's the best axle for a 99runner swap
« Reply #1 on: Jun 03, 2013, 12:05:02 PM »
I've never built a 3rd gen 4Runner, but keep in mind that 1996 and newer 4Runners have a wider body than their 1984-1995 counterparts. For reference, your 1986 rear axle measures 58.5" wide compared to the rear axle under the 1999 4Runner which is closer to 60". You'd need to run some wheel spacers just to get back to factory width, and if you want to go even wider, which is important for a full body 4Runner wheeled near trees, you'll be exposing more and more of your drum brakes with increasingly wider wheel spacers.

The issue is even worse for the front end. Two main reasons are 1) the 1979-85 live axle measures 55.5" wide compared to your 4Runner's front IFS width of probably closer to 61", and 2) the wider the wheel spacer you run up front the worse Scrub Radius you'll encounter, amongst other issues.

You can see a small list of front & rear Toyota axle widths here: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=11245

You could try for a FJ62 Land Cruiser front axle, which measures 58.5", or run a FJ80 front axle which measures 63.5". The nice thing about the FJ60 is that you can run all your Hilux steering & brake parts on it (High Steer, Birfields, Knuckle) and get the added strength of a larger and stronger Ring & Pinion. You can run your 8" Hilux diffs in a FJ80 axle, but you'll be stuck finding your own high steer solution of go the expensive route of aftermarket knuckles (Hellfire) or a custom width front Hilux axle (such as a Diamond Axle).

Again, I don't have experience with your 4Runner, but I believe you'll find the Hilux front axle to be too narrow for the newer style body.

As for domestic front ends, where I am certainly no expert, you'll get mixed opinions depending on who you talk to. Personally I like to keep Toyota axles under my Toyota, or as much as possible. My limited experience with a Dana 44 or Dana 60 is that I don't like the reduced ground clearance of both, Dana 44 axles are weaker than Hilux axles, you'll have to change your wheels and then you won't be able to rotate tires with your back Toyota axle (short of unmounting/mounting tires), you cannot carry a spare third member since they do not have a removable pumpkin (unless you get a custom steerable Ford 9" or some other high dollar front end), and you can't run our EcoSeals in the Dana axles like you can Hilux/FJ60/FJ80. The upside is that they are cheap, easier to find, and have great aftermarket support. Because of this many people choose to run them. Incoming Dana 44 posts!

Regards,
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2013, 12:28:30 PM »
I'd personally run a Dana 60 because 1. That 4runner is a heavy rig and 2. Isn't that runner the opposite drop of a mini truck axle?

907yota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 03, 2013, 12:44:51 PM »
Thanks for the information bigmike! I've read your build thread and wwwooowww!!!! W/that sAid,ill stick to the original plan of swapping my hilux, since all the parts are there and I want my truck to go as slow as yours one day ... My wife has been expressing more and more intrest in wheeling hence the ?'s,ill be researching/collecting parts a bit more on the runner.  I live Alaska so sourcing parts is next to impossible here... Thanks  again for the info very helpful!!
Chicken nutt bread!!!

907yota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 03, 2013, 12:58:16 PM »
I'd personally run a Dana 60 because 1. That 4runner is a heavy rig and 2. Isn't that runner the opposite drop of a mini truck axle?
It is opposite side of my 85 axle ,now that won't work! I like the idea of keeping Toyota axles,seems swapping the runner is a lot more technical than the ever popular hilux
Chicken nutt bread!!!

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 03, 2013, 01:21:03 PM »
A Jeep Wagoneer D44 is typically what is used to get it done as cheap as possible.   The diff drop is on the correct side. the width is about the same, and they had the same bolt pattern as the Toyota.    If you were wanting to build something cool I'd get a FJ80 axle donor and have a custom Ruff stuff housing made with the diff on the opposite side. 
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #6 on: Jun 03, 2013, 01:25:36 PM »
:smack: Never mind everything I said about the front axle :smack: I overlooked the simplest fact! :thud:

I also will agree that 4Runners are heavier than pickups. 907: Is this a 4 or 6 cylinder?

A Jeep Wagoneer D44 is typically what is used to get it done as cheap as possible.   The diff drop is on the correct side. the width is about the same, and they had the same bolt pattern as the Toyota.
Very good to know!
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 03, 2013, 01:37:17 PM »
Aswell as a chevy 44 had the 6lug pattern.  My 60 and 14bolt are converted to 6 lug even =) id rather take less ground clearance over weak axles any day of the week
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

cen-cal crawler

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 10
  • Male Posts: 690
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 03, 2013, 01:48:12 PM »
I've never built a 3rd gen 4Runner, but keep in mind that 1996 and newer 4Runners have a wider body than their 1984-1995 counterparts. For reference, your 1986 rear axle measures 58.5" wide compared to the rear axle under the 1999 4Runner which is closer to 60". You'd need to run some wheel spacers just to get back to factory width, and if you want to go even wider, which is important for a full body 4Runner wheeled near trees, you'll be exposing more and more of your drum brakes with increasingly wider wheel spacers.

The issue is even worse for the front end. Two main reasons are 1) the 1979-85 live axle measures 55.5" wide compared to your 4Runner's front IFS width of probably closer to 61", and 2) the wider the wheel spacer you run up front the worse Scrub Radius you'll encounter, amongst other issues.

You can see a small list of front & rear Toyota axle widths here: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=11245

You could try for a FJ62 Land Cruiser front axle, which measures 58.5", or run a FJ80 front axle which measures 63.5". The nice thing about the FJ60 is that you can run all your Hilux steering & brake parts on it (High Steer, Birfields, Knuckle) and get the added strength of a larger and stronger Ring & Pinion. You can run your 8" Hilux diffs in a FJ80 axle, but you'll be stuck finding your own high steer solution of go the expensive route of aftermarket knuckles (Hellfire) or a custom width front Hilux axle (such as a Diamond Axle).

Again, I don't have experience with your 4Runner, but I believe you'll find the Hilux front axle to be too narrow for the newer style body.

As for domestic front ends, where I am certainly no expert, you'll get mixed opinions depending on who you talk to. Personally I like to keep Toyota axles under my Toyota, or as much as possible. My limited experience with a Dana 44 or Dana 60 is that I don't like the reduced ground clearance of both, Dana 44 axles are weaker than Hilux axles, you'll have to change your wheels and then you won't be able to rotate tires with your back Toyota axle (short of unmounting/mounting tires), you cannot carry a spare third member since they do not have a removable pumpkin (unless you get a custom steerable Ford 9" or some other high dollar front end), and you can't run our EcoSeals in the Dana axles like you can Hilux/FJ60/FJ80. The upside is that they are cheap, easier to find, and have great aftermarket support. Because of this many people choose to run them. Incoming Dana 44 posts!

Regards,
BigMike
what mike said!

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

Toy-Cra-Ze

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 164
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 03, 2013, 01:51:54 PM »
I would go dana 60s

907yota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
It is a 4 cylinder... I traded it for services in my hair salon! I get a 4runner she gets free hair for the next three years or however long it take her to use 2500 worth
Chicken nutt bread!!!

907yota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
Thanks for the good info guys keep it coming!!!
Chicken nutt bread!!!