Author Topic: URGENT!! welder input desperately needed tonight!!  (Read 3980 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
URGENT!! welder input desperately needed tonight!!
« on: Dec 31, 2004, 10:49:49 PM »
  I found an ad in the paper today that looked like someone was selling off everything from a shop, and they had a few welders for sale.  I went to look at a Miller 135 w/bottle, but by the time I got there it sold for $400, but she said she had another one like it.  My eyes lit up as soon as I saw it, it was another Miller, but not a welder by itself, yet the kind you hook up to a bottle and hook a lead to a big arc welder so you can mig weld.  It looks identical to the one we have at work, which we paid $3200 for, and she wants $300 for it.  I've used the one at work and it welds great, but I don't have the big welder to run this one.  I'm seriously thinking of buying this and selling it, turn around and take that money and buy a nice mig welder. 
  My main question is, does anybody know what I'm talking about, and if so would you know an aproximate value for it?  I think it said Millermatic sp32 on the side, but I could be wrong.  I might try and talk her into letting me take it to work and make sure it works since we're already set up for it, but that could be asking too much.  I did score a nice 5" makita grinder, metal jerry can and Lisle compression tester for $40 off her already.
  The reason she's sellin all this stuff is her boyfriend got shot a couple months ago by the PD dept., and she's sellin all his stuff to help their kids.  The amount of stuff that sold before I got there was mind boggling, I missed a nice cherry picker, engine stand, several tool boxes and roll-aways, a couple other welders and a buncha other stuff that was pretty cool.   There's a really cool 72ish cornbinder in there too, but she's keepin it for his oldest boy, and there's an engineless 944 she doesn't know what to do with either.  Anyway, lemme know what y'all think,   Nate
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
DAMN if it comes with the power supply if you dont get it I'll walk my fat ass to you and slap you! lol  But even if it doesnt come with the suply its a helluva deal!
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Just the guy I was hopin would read this too.  Have you ever used one of these WT?   Nate
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
Yes!  They are very nice welders!

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8403
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Na, small picture but didn't look like it.  It kinda looks like an all black plastic little mig, about 1/2 or so the size of a normal 135 welder but same basic shape.  I'll snap a pic of it tomorrow if the deal goes down.  Oh yea, she had a big tank of argon she wanted to get rid of, said it was full too.  She said that about some other stuff and I didn't know if she was trying to give it to me or not, like I maybe just didn't understand, but she did give me a creeper so maybe.......,   Nate
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
WT,  it doesn't come with the power supply, that's set into the box van and she doesn't really wanna seperate it just yet.  It looks like a really nice Miller too, didn't check which one though.  She has another old one for about $1200 though, but that's way outa my league.  I'll hafta call my boss tomorrow and see if he meant the welder and power supply were $3200, or just the box by itself, which is how I took it.  I tried finding a pic of one through google, but I couldn't find anything like it.  I'll snap a pic of it tomorrow if I can.  The only thing that might save me is that I don't think a whole buncha people really know what it is, and if it turns out I'm right on the value it's as good as mine.   Nate
RIP KYOTA

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
Power supply or not its still a good deal.  you can pick up a cheap arc welder and run it off that.

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
sounds like a flux core welder, i remember we had a couple lincoln innershield boxes that hooked into our big DC welders at school.  however i think you need a higher end welder to power them like an inverter?

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
No flux core here,  you hook a line to an argon tank.  But you're right, it does require a good amount of power to run,   Nate
RIP KYOTA

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
well by higher end i think it has to have either CV or CC(cant remember which, one of the two)

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Yknow, I was thinkin about it last night and there's no reason why you couldn't run flux core in it either.  It'd save the hassle and expense of runnin argon, just wouldn't be as pretty of a weld.  I love the way ours at work welds, makes even me look like I know how to weld.  She never called me today, so I guess I'm gonna hafta call her tomorrow and see if she still has it,   Nate
RIP KYOTA

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
I wouldnt run fluxcore in it.  Id just exchange the argon bottle for CO2.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Explain WT........
RIP KYOTA

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
The welder that I built my 90 with was my neighbors.  When he got it he was conned into buying stargon, which is 25% argon 75% CO2.  Its spendy crap!  I was paying $16 for a tiny bottle of stargon.  I got tired of that so I exchanged the bottle at the local welding shop for a 20lb bottle of CO2.  The CO2 is $13 to refill and it lasts for months.

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
I run 75/25 co2 and argon in mine and get purdy welds... but I agree that it is more expensive.  Just depends on how good of a welder you are.  I for one need all the help I can get to keep from getting boogers  :shake_head:

Down here, I just paid $18 to get my 10lb powertank filled  :jawdrop:  and $85 for plasma cutter consumeables  :jawdrop:   Maybe I need to find a different welding shop...

Ryan
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
I called her after work today and she still has it :shocking:  I'm sposta run over after work tomorrow and pick it up,   Nate
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Ohhhhh yeeeaaaaaa, it's mine now!!!!!!!!  Gonna weld some with it tomorrow and make sure it works well.  I called a local shop and they said it's worth atleast $700-800, so if I can sell it for that I can buy a welder that better suits my needs.  Hope this works out in my favor, shouldn't really be taking too many chances right now in my financial state, but I guess you gotta do it sometimes.  Oh, and it's a Millermatic s32-p, if that means anything to anybody.   Nate
RIP KYOTA