Author Topic: lce 22re power package worth it???  (Read 9596 times)

rmoore

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 44
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
lce 22re power package worth it???
« on: Apr 25, 2010, 11:40:09 AM »
I have been doing some research on headers and came across the LC Engineering 22re power package.  It comes with a cam, header, big bore throttle body, and cold air intake with k/n filter for about a grand.  I was wondering if anyone has used this setup and if its actually worth the money.  If its not, what kind of setups you guys are using for horsepower gains.  Its going on a stock 94 standard cab 4x4 140k.  Its my daily driver and it needs just a little more get up and go.  Hitting fourth gear for a slight hill with 31's is starting to piss me off!!!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: lce 22re power package worth it???
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25, 2010, 12:36:41 PM »
to start with, unless your running 70 on the freeway forget you have a 5th gear.  its an overdrive aka weak and the 22RE likes to run between 2800 and 3200 rpm.
keeping your rpms in the "sweet spot" will actually get you better gas mileage since your not using full throttle to maintain your speed.

Power package??   yes its proven to get you some significant gains. If you use the larger 2 1/4 inch exhaust all the way to the back of the truck you will notice a significant increase :thumbs:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

2manytoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 490
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 25, 2010, 07:55:31 PM »
LCE sells some good stuff but to me $1000 for that is ridiculous. Spend the money on gears to get you back in your power band.

I have an 88 pickup with 31's and 4.56 gears and can run 90 + on the freeway. I only drop out of overdrive on big hills. The engine is tired with over 250k on it but it does have some mods.

They were on it when I bought it from a friend. It has mild porting of the head, a NWOR header and cam, and a 2 1/4" exhaust. I think it was from Downey. It also has a K&N replacement filter and MSD ignition but it just crapped out so stock ignition now.

Just for comparison, I built a fresh 22RE for my son's 91. I used an ENGNBLDR kit and cam. Blended the bowls on the head and gasket matched the ports on the head and intake. K&N replacement filter.

He didn't have a lot of money left so still has stock exhaust and 4.10 gears with 31" tires. He can beat me in a drag race and can get more top speed but can't use 5th gear.

I had a stock 86 4Runner and just put a 2 1/4" exhaust on it and it absolutely killed the low end power. It only helped when reving the heck out of it and during highway passing. I hated it.

So the moral of my long winded story is regear and see what you think about THAT power gain. You may not need to spend a grand on the power package. If you still want more power the proper gears for your tire size will only make it better. It will keep your power band in the "sweet spot" like coyote mentioned.
88 Pickup SAS'd, 3.4 V6, R151F Hybrid, Dual Ultimate, Triple sticks, 35's, 5.29's, HP front, V6 rear, Aussies, 63" Chevs, Anti Wrap Bar, Warn 8274 on Home Built Bumper

4WU linked 86 Xtra Cab build in progress

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2010, 10:00:08 PM »
I've got essentially a new motor (<5k miles) with a Doug Thorley header, but otherwise stock. Running 4.88's with 35's, and have essentially the same issue you do. It's your gearing more than anything I'd guess. It lugs in 1st on any kind of up hill start, and I've got to drop to 3rd if I get below 55 on an uphill slope.

Depending on what tire size you want to go to I'd say 4.88's for up to 33" tires, but anything else bigger, go with 5.29's. If I had it to do over again, I'd go to the 5.29's and maybe get 5th gear back.

These little 4-poppers will never give that many ponies to make up for the gearing. IMHO, spend the money on the gears, not the engine.

Erik
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

DoveGray85

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 27, 2010, 02:12:39 AM »
My 22re is getting tired and I can cruise at 65 in 5th gear (on the level). On any kind of hill, I'll be downshifting. I have 35's and 5.29 gears.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #5 on: Apr 27, 2010, 09:22:54 AM »

I had a stock 86 4Runner and just put a 2 1/4" exhaust on it and it absolutely killed the low end power. It only helped when reving the heck out of it and during highway passing. I hated it.

So the moral of my long winded story is regear and see what you think about THAT power gain. You may not need to spend a grand on the power package. If you still want more power the proper gears for your tire size will only make it better. It will keep your power band in the "sweet spot" like coyote mentioned.
ive never had any problems with having low end power, not by having a practically open exhaust or the stage 2 racing cam
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 28, 2010, 01:49:08 PM »
I put new exhaust and header on mine and today I went well, let's say it got to over 70mph before I realized I was going too fast.  Up hill. 

A Thorley header plus exhaust will add power for a lot less bruised knuckles.  $480 new(less used or new old stock).  Not cheap, but better than $1000+ yanking everything apart to replace that cam and then re-doing the valves and timing.  Really all you need with a 22RE is a better header.  I got my Thorley header here from someone for $300 and spent another $300 on the exhaust.   I figure it gives me 20% more power in the 3-4K rpm range and maybe 5-10% more outside of that sweet spot.

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 28, 2010, 04:51:50 PM »
Money better spent on gears.  Not just my opinion either, based on experience...  I've tried headers, intakes, cams etc and while they do help, nothing compares to having the proper gearing for whatever tire you are running.  If you have the coin do the LC stuff AND gears.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

gtoyonrocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 977
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 28, 2010, 06:59:03 PM »
I fully agree. The gearing is the most important mod after that I would suggest running a nice long tube header, after market exhaust and some good wires. I have tried all sorts of mods on these little 22r's and that is the biggest bang for your buck. Good luck.
1985 toy, Hybrid 20r/22r on propane, 30splines, custom built leaf packs, welded front and rear diffs, dual ultimate crawler, full hydro, full exo, flat bed, 37' mtrs