Author Topic: cross over steering...  (Read 5222 times)

militarymudder

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 73
  • Member since Dec '04
  • if my tires are higher than my cab..... HELP!!!!!
    • View Profile
cross over steering...
« on: Dec 03, 2004, 10:01:17 PM »
 ??? is there any "safe" or "appropriate" way to fab x-over steering?.... i know marlin sells the steering arm, and the rest seems fairly simple to fab with the right tools.... i was  just curious on everyone opinion on this... i am a poor military boy, and parting with the $ is sometimes hard.... tell me im dumb or help me out... either way ill get the hint.... thanks..... :help:  :hammer:
84 toy, bobbed, chevy rears, rear toy fronts, locked f/r, 5 in of lift, 5:29s, rebuilt 20 r, 34 in swampers, 8000 lb ramsey to take me where the lead foot is to heavy!!!...
future mods... crossover steering, and dual ultimate crawler !!!
 this is the KRITT'R GITT'R express... so get in, sit down, shut up, and HANG ON

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: cross over steering...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2004, 11:55:23 PM »
i thought the same thing but it really is just cheaper to buy the whole kit. besides they stand mye there product
Im an OG

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2004, 06:03:04 AM »
Ive built 2 different crossover setups for my rigs and I havent spent $400 on both of them combined including steering boxes.  So it can be done for really cheap.  Granted Marlins hi steer is on the to buy list to replace the all-crap crossover thats on my 83.....
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

militarymudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2004, 05:28:43 PM »
is it something that is too greatly difficult or would you just say bite the bullet and spend the dough?....
84 toy, bobbed, chevy rears, rear toy fronts, locked f/r, 5 in of lift, 5:29s, rebuilt 20 r, 34 in swampers, 8000 lb ramsey to take me where the lead foot is to heavy!!!...

militarymudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2004, 05:31:42 PM »
and if it is something i can build is there any way i could get specks on the lenths and poisition of all the good stuff?... and also if it is possible  to due could i get a few picks to help me out?.....
bye the way i love that black yota.... its pretty twisted...!

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2004, 07:13:04 PM »
I think there are pics of how I did it on the 90 in my $300 thread.  Here is the arm from the 84, the gusset is 1/2" plate.

89 toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1198
  • Male Posts: 383
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2004, 08:12:20 PM »
did mine the same way and it has not broke yet
89 ext cab sas with diamond +4 1/2" housing 30 spline longs and hub gears, hp elocker, six studs, arp studs in everything, taco rear with elocker. swaped out 22re for 3.4l supercharged, urd 2.0" pulley, urd fuel management, downey headers, flowmaster, cold air intake, marlin clutch that is straining to hold up

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2004, 09:26:02 PM »
Nice beefy weldin WT, very nice.  They keep throwin away chunks of steel like that at work, guess I should snag em next time.  If you can dig up any more pics and help a po boy out it'd be appreciated,   Nate
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

militarymudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2004, 10:43:28 PM »
kneedown read my mind with the pics there WT.  and despite how many times i have looked, i cannot find the 300$ thread..... i cant really tell what u did there... i can see that u welded a pitmen arm, but i cant really see if u cut it or bent it or anything.... i know im a pain in the ass, but if you could  give me more picks it be much appreciated... or even some diagrams or measurements... anything to help me out ...
thanks and sorry for bein a pain....

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2004, 01:21:11 AM »
Its an extra passengerside steering arm with the knuckle mount cut off and flipped over, thus welded on upside down.
Heres the link to the thread.  Its pretty long but I trimmed a lot of bs so its down to only 25 pages. :smack:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=2547.0

militarymudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2004, 11:23:09 AM »
thats a help, but my printers a bag of ass! so ill use it as a reference..... :) thanks a ton.....

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Apr '04
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2004, 11:55:05 AM »
remeber though this is booty fab and not the safest way to do it. but it works...to a point
Im an OG

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2004, 11:57:15 AM »
I have yet to find that point.  If toyota used cast iron for the steering parts then it would be dangerous.  But seeing as they are cast steel there is not really any problem with fabbing your own.  Hell I know all-poo sold fabbed arms and I *think* Marlin did for a short while as well.

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Apr '04
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2004, 12:02:53 PM »
I have yet to find that point.  If toyota used cast iron for the steering parts then it would be dangerous.  But seeing as they are cast steel there is not really any problem with fabbing your own.  Hell I know all-poo sold fabbed arms and I *think* Marlin did for a short while as well.

im sure it does work and i have seen the all poo arms. i was referring to when i had posted on this subject sometime ago and i was told i would still be snapping that arm from overflexing. i guess the main concern are the wleds gonna hold?
Im an OG

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2004, 12:05:45 PM »
I know those will hold, my certified buddy did that arm.  I welded the arm on the 90.  Even though all my welds arent perfect looking Ive welded for enough years to know when Im laying down a strong bead or chicken scratch, so I trust myself to do that.  I wont build one for someone else just for the liability factor but I have no problem running it.

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Apr '04
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2004, 12:07:44 PM »
works for me. but u would have to say , best bet would just be cash out for marlins?
Im an OG

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2004, 12:44:13 PM »
I was figurin on goin Marlin or Sky, just sold some parts so I have the cash, then same day my roommate tells me he asked his new girlfriend to move in with him, so after two years in a nice house I guess it's back to the ghetto............Nate
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

militarymudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Dec 05, 2004, 08:39:57 PM »
so white trash.... all i need is a pass side steering arm ... (any specific year?)... the ifs box and pitment arm and the molly tubing and ball joint ends and i have bootyfab?.... also on the steering arm, did u just lay the extra arm flat on top of the other steering arm, or did you u due some voodoo stuff to er? and i asume u measured the distance for the tie rods aloowed room for the ball ends.....
anyrate so far i have a way better understanding on how to due this mod... if you could clear those few things up id be much abliged...
ps what part of wa are u in?.... im stationed in spokane and constantly travel back and forth to kelso (bout 45 min from vancouver)..... id love to some day maybe get to seea reall crawler in action..... mines progressing slowly, but i need to get the rears on the front and before that i need to due x over... ( different shocks would be a big help....:)
thanks a ton!!!

militarymudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Dec 05, 2004, 10:16:17 PM »
another question... if i got a second tie rod, would that work with the one on my truck for the bars on the x over steering or would i have to spend the $ on the bars from a steel shop..?

militarymudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2004, 10:22:37 PM »
one last thing.. will a two wheel drive ifs box work? cause i just scored 3!!!:):):):)

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Apr '04
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #20 on: Dec 05, 2004, 10:38:18 PM »
yes just not as strong is all. i would say they make good spares
Im an OG

MidgetMike

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 55
  • Male Posts: 668
  • Member since Sep '04
  • My 83 soon to be the sh%*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Dec 05, 2004, 10:50:30 PM »
My booty fab steering arm like whitetrashes was strong enough to break off three of the four studs holding it on coming down old sluice on the con, I hit every hard line I can except for little sluice cause I only have 1 birfield I don't know how many runs it took to break the studs but if you doun't know how to weld don't be a dumbass and think you do and in support of whitetrash I've seen a hole lot scarier booty fab suspension than steering I seen a drop box today on an 87 that might as well been tack welded and paint doesn't hide a shitty weld  :twocents:   :usa: 
Sounds like more tree huggin hippie bull :pokinit:

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Dec 06, 2004, 12:46:22 AM »
Id assume you take 395 down to 84 and cross the bottom of the state to get to Kelso, or do you hit 18 (?) to I-5 and drop there?  Im in Prosser about 45 min NE of Tri cities up I-82.  If you get time around Christmas Im sure we'll be out wheeling a lot on snow runs and I usually have an empty seat.

It sounds like you have a decent grasp on the setup and you have most of the parts required as well.  I use a spare tierod as the new draglink and I cut and sleeve it to shorten it to the correct length.  For the steering box Ive thought about using a 2x box before but never tried it.  Id think it'd work fine but may be weaker.  One good thing is the pitman arm is a perfect match to a 4x box on the splines and it has the correct tierod taper for 4x tierodends.  Its about 3/4" shorter so you can move your axle farther forward without issues and its got about 3/4" less drop to it as well.

militarymudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Dec 06, 2004, 12:58:15 PM »
AWESOME!!!!... as for going home, i go 18 to the 5.... im getting leave to go home and fab away!!! on the 17th through the 1st maybe ill hit ya up on the way if you/i have time.. if not, ill be back and forth a miilion more times....  on the 3rd ill be disapearing for  6 months :( so no fabbing or wheeling, but around june ill be getting a lot more time so if i dont hit ya up soon ill deffinatly hit ya up then!!
thanks for the tips yall make life way easier!!!
P.S. i have a buddie who used to own a welding shop doing the tricky stuff, but thanks for encouraging me not to join the dumbass club!! its much abliged!:)

militarymudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Dec 06, 2004, 08:36:05 PM »
ill try and get some picks out to yall.... then ill try not to put her on her top:)

militarymudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Dec 06, 2004, 08:57:36 PM »
got another question for ya....
will a ifs steering arm work the same as a straight axle arm?...

militarymudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Dec 06, 2004, 08:58:24 PM »
if not, is there such a difference that u cannot compinsate for?

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Dec 07, 2004, 06:18:26 AM »
Ifs bolts in place very differently from what I remember.  Also the 2x steering arms are weak as all hell.

militarymudder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Dec 07, 2004, 10:56:21 AM »
gotchya... ill hafta get a new one then! its all good though i think i got one pegged !  :gap: well... ill try and get some pics and keep ya posted on how it turns out.. after its all done i think ill go beat on it for a while to make sure it holds together before i even think about putting on a paved road... thanks..