Author Topic: Question about buying a rig  (Read 2011 times)

4Wheelin

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '10
    • View Profile
Question about buying a rig
« on: Mar 26, 2010, 01:03:49 AM »
I am new to the forums and I am looking into buying a rig that I can drive daily yet still tackle some nice trails. I found a local guy here selling an 83 Toyota Pickup that has a Chevy 350 with a heavy duty auto tranny lifted on 35s. Everything looks well done on the rig and the price is right for me. I have yet to see it in person and drive it but I was wondering about smogging it mostly and if there are any cons to having a V8 in it. If anyone can help me out with some advice that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!  :beerchug:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Question about buying a rig
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2010, 09:23:29 AM »
i am not a fan of 350 chevy swaps,  they make the rig very heavy on the front end.

a good running 22R will get you down the road okay, and will do far better on the trail

i'd look for such a rig because if he's swapped to a chevy v8 what else has he "jimmy rigged" ?
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2010, 04:45:37 PM »
Too heavy with the 350, a friend bought one once it was scary to drive on the road. Now a 4.3 is Ok though. If you are looking for a DD stick with a stock drivetrain/engine it will serve you better and any shop will work on it. You become very limited on who may work on it for you when it is all modded.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2010, 04:52:25 PM »
If this is your first 4x4, I would say no.  You should look for something that is stock, so that you can build it as your skills increase and for the the type of wheeling you like to do.  I also wouldn't buy it unless you are well versed in Chevy mechanics, since that is basically what you are buying, and will need to be able to work on both rigs.

I would only buy it if he has upgraded the front a and rear axles as well(or keep that in mind when negotiating on a price), it is a professionally looking/clean install, and he has everything mapped out for you so you have something to follow when hunting down engine issues.  A lot of people install/swap things w/o ever thinking about the next person to come along, making it hard for new owners to hunt down problems, as well as for the original installer when several years have past since the installation.

If you test drive it, make sure to go on a long test drive, combine lots of stop and go traffic, freeway speeds, and run around somewhere in 4 wheel drive. both high and low gears, so you can make sure that everything works, and that the engine and transmission cooling systems work correctly for a the truck both on/off road.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

swapped89

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 270
  • Male Posts: 1,221
  • Member since Aug '09
  • Not all who wander...are lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2010, 04:54:56 PM »
I would not buy a 350 swapped Yota. My friend has had two of them both third gens. One would always twist and poke holes in the radiator and the other had welded on crossmember forthe tranny. Most people probly don't do a swap as well as they hope and usually turns out throwing down a bunch of problems down the line. Besides Yota drivetrains were not built for such a heavy and powerful motor. I would also try to stick with a rig that has stock motor and tranny. Just a safer bet for you down the road.
SAS 89 p/u 3.0 5speed, bobbed, locked, ready to play in the rocks. or wherever the pavement ends :)
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61345.0 

a wise man listens and observes more so than he opens his mouth.. and when he does it is valuable information....   (twistedtoy92)

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 33
  • Male Posts: 719
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2010, 04:57:05 PM »
I agree with the all of they above. A v8 is going to be tougher on your drivetrain, heavier, less fuel mileage, trickier to work on since you cant just go to the parts store and say i need this part for my toyota since its miced and matched. I think part of the reason these trucks are so great is becuase they are so light and nimble with modest power plants. I would hold out for something with a 22r of some sort. But thats just my :twocents:

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 296
  • Male Posts: 2,526
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2010, 05:11:20 PM »
cooling is a pretty big issue to.    large engine and a small space. 
i love oregon wheelin.

4Wheelin [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2010, 05:19:00 PM »
Thanks for all of the advice guys. I am not new to wheeling and I have worked on a fair share of Chevy 350s as well as Toyota Pickups. A lot of what you guys say makes a lot of sense though so I guess I will just have to wait until the right rig for me comes around. I must be too anxious to get back into a 4x4 since I traded my FJ in for a crappy Corolla a few weeks ago. :(

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 296
  • Male Posts: 2,526
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 26, 2010, 05:20:29 PM »
good choice man.  wait till you find a good rig.
i love oregon wheelin.