Author Topic: W-56 Replacement Cost/labor ??  (Read 1766 times)

indianrider

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 14
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
W-56 Replacement Cost/labor ??
« on: Dec 07, 2004, 02:43:16 PM »
hi guys ..

i just got a quote for $625 (Labor Only) from a mechanic shop to replace my W-56 manual tranny with a rebuilt Marlin tranny.  This shop is supposed to specialits in Toyota and they are located in Lexington, Kentucy. Does this sound reasonable ?

Or would anyone suggest any other mechanic shop i should look into around my area ? I just moved to Maysville, KY and dont know any shops in this really small town. Im 60 miles north of Lexington,KY and 50 miles south of Cincinatti, Ohio and i dont mind driving to either of the two metros as my truck is still running great in 1st, 2nd and 4th gears. The 3rd gear is whining occasionally and 5th is whining real bad and ive been told the main bearing is going out and its better to get it rebuilt before it blows. My 88 truck has 116K miles on the motor.

Or if anyone in either of the 2 metros has a shop/garage and can help me replace the tranny over a weekend or even 2 or 3 weekends id be glad to pay for the job. Most importantly the experience and lesson learnt working on the truck would be invaluable. Mechanically, the most complicated stuff ive done is change brake pads but ive worked on motorcycles a little bit so i can help.

thanks in advance for any info/advise ..
Black 1988 Toyota Pickup, 4WD, 22 RE, 5 Speed 
Blue/Green 1992 Honda Prelude Si, 5 Speed with 4 Wheel Steering
Lime Green 1999 Kawasaki ZRX 1100

Marketing

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -30
  • Male Posts: 1,639
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
Re: W-56 Replacement Cost/labor ??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2004, 02:48:45 PM »
We charge $350 to remove and replace any Toyota 4wd transmission.

Sluice Box Hero

• My mom says im special
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -114
  • Male Posts: 637
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Tell your mom hi, and thank her for last night
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2004, 07:12:58 PM »
do it yourself in a weekend and spend your 625 on something else.  im sure there are 20-30 people on here that can walk you through every little step of that replacement and shouldnt take you more than a weekend.

Callen
"You know that feeling right after you take a huge dump? . . . . Awesome"
-Cartman

GrimReaper

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 58
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2004, 08:43:54 AM »
It ain't rocket science. Just a bunch of bolts.

Couple of GOOD ratchet straps and a jack and it can be done pretty easy. The W56 and case is light enough that once I pulled it up to close to where it needed to be with a couple ratchet straps I was able to relatively easily wrestle it into place. I had the cross member on my fat belly and grabbed the bell housing to slide it onto the back of the engine. It was one of the easiest I had ever done and I have done quite a few The worst if transverse VW and a RX7 that I had to remove the complete exhaust on.

Now I am a above average shade tree to the point I build my own transmissions both auto and manual but its really not a bad job on a toy. Just dirty. The worst part is lining up the clutch disc so that once your ready to bolt the tranny on it will line up.

Supra 4x4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 22
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2004, 09:16:43 AM »
I changed mine once on my 83 in my back yard. With one helper it is realy not that hard. If you have to do it on soft ground get a piece of plywood so your floor jack will move easier. If you don't have a floor jack use some of those savings and buy a good one maybe even a transmission adapter for the jack. Good Luck, you can do it.
1985 4Runner, 33" Boggers, rear spool, TJM front bumper, custom rear w/tire carrier, custom rock slider. Sold my 84 ExtraCab w/ Supra 5MGE to buy this 4Runner so my wife and kids could go with me.

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2004, 07:24:57 PM »
its realy simple go for it im almost to the point of replacing my therd tranny in my toy, ill see what i can get for simple instructions i can get for you hopfully with pictures :beerchug: