Author Topic: decisions, decisions...  (Read 1681 times)

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
decisions, decisions...
« on: Dec 05, 2004, 04:47:44 PM »
i'm at kind of a crossroads right now trying to figure out what tranny to run.  let's start with some background:

i originally wanted to slap this part of the project together and get it rolling fast(this was in the beginning of sept.).  i bought an '82 tranny and t-case for $250, then an '82 22R for $175.  figured i was in for a quick pan and pickup swap on the motor and a new clutch, boy was i wrong.  i started to try to break the flex plate bolts loose and the crank just spun.  no compression!  i think i'm close to $2000 into this project and i don't have a damned thing to show for it!  just saying $2000 because i've been putting most of my paychecks(which totals out to be around $850 a month) into this since the beginning of september.  the motor is ready to rebuild(just have to clean a few more things, it's machined and all), new radiator, clutch, slightly used clutch hydraulics, flywheel(motor had a flexplate) etc.

now the dilemma comes, what to do about a tranny?  i originally wanted to run the (most likely)L50 behind the used engine, but since it's gonna pretty much be a new engine again, i don't know how long it'd last behind it, though the L43 behind my 20R has lasted probably close to 200,000 of it's 315,000 miles behind it.  i'd like a L52 at the least, even a L52HD but i don't think i can come up with the money on my budget.  what's a rough estimate on shipping to send this thing down to marlin and have it rebuilt(98503, up here in western WA),  though i've thought about selling it locally and just eating the core charge as well.

i need some reassurance, people!  how many times i've thought about pushing this truck off a cliff and starting over, i'd probably be happier that way.  everything in the whole drivetrain needs to be rebuilt!

jr9162

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 512
  • Member since Sep '04
  • No nookie like Chinookie no butts like Halibuts
    • View Profile
Re: decisions, decisions...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2004, 10:25:07 PM »
contact knick towing and wrecking up here in Wasilla AK.

They have a R151F, Tcase, and bellhousing for $500 plus SH.
I'm a member of P.E.T.A.
People Eating Tasty Animals
There's no nookie like chinookie
No butts like halibuts
Fish are not our friends, they're food.
Eat more moose - 10,000 wolves can't be wrong

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist".

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2004, 10:28:28 AM »
Hey Kyle, is that your daily driver? If so then I can understand how you feel about it showing its age. But maybe you should find another Toy for like $500 that runs, could be a 2wd or 4wd, just something to get you around while you slowly tear your yellow beast to the frame and start rebuilding that suck'a.
Then you wouldn't feel so pressured about it and you can take your time with it. I mean its winter anyways, and unless you were planning on hitting the snow, you could just plan on getting it ready for say May? Then you've got a great time window to get er done :gap:

Shipping for a trans is usually around $70 or so. You are pretty close to use (93703) but I still think its gonna be pretty high..
The core charge will be $250, so you will be out $320 or so, and I dont think you could resell it for that much, especially if it needs rebuilding itself. So you would take a lesser loss if you handle the shipping charge yourself and get the core refunded.
Also if we get your trans before we send the rebuilt one out, then you won't be charaged a core at all (normally we charge rebuild + core and then later the core is refunded).

My MR2 doesnt have as many miles on it as your truck, but at 240k for an '87 sports car, its pretty damn high :ack: And everytime I had to pull the engine out on a weekend and get it rebuilt by monday so I could use it to get my ass to school, I felt "what the hell am I doing" no one else has to work so hard to keep their cars running and I wanted to get a 2nd beater car just to get me around while I built up my 2 but I couldnt afford double insurances.

Now Ive got my truck and my MR2 is off of insurance and Im going to put a non-op on it. Its my first car ever and Im not getting rid of her. I love that car so much! Im gonna throw a tarp over it and then when im done with school and I get a real life, Im going to strip it 100% down to the unibody and do a complete rebuild and designate it as a track only car and use my truck to tow it around. That will be sa-weet!
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

kyle_22r [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2004, 01:13:46 PM »
my first truck was a chevy s10.  i was so desperate to start driving that i bought it the day after my 16th birthday.  the only way the thing could've been more base-model was if it had the 1.9l motor(it had the 2.0! :laugh: ).  4 speed, bench seat, shortbed, 2wd.  at least i got $1400 out of it(paid $1300) about a year later and bought an '84 toy that i had until i bought the yellow truck

i think you're probably right about buying another rig.  i saw an '85 4x4  for $650 a few days ago, but my mom would've strangled me for bringing it home because it had a crummy paint job :rivers:  might try badgering her about it a little more though...lol...

i'm never parting with the yellow money pit, it'll be a new truck when it's done...maybe i should look for another '79-83 2wd or 4x4 to drive in the meantime, so i can turn 'ol yeller into a trail rig.  it's just at the point theoretically where restoring it or making it into a hardcore wheeler would cost about the same amount of money.
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2004, 01:33:17 PM by kyle_22r »