• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 27
  • Member since Feb '10
  • flat lander
    • View Profile
R&P ?
« on: May 24, 2010, 07:35:18 PM »
I'm wanting to try and setup my R&P never have done it. Just want to know exactly how hard it really is. Can a first timer set it up? Or would i be safe and pay to have it done.  :dunno:     Thanks for any input  :beer:

Slolyfe

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -117
  • Male Posts: 2,048
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile
Re: R&P ?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 07:36:59 PM »
pay
You'll never take me alive

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 296
  • Male Posts: 2,526
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 07:39:05 PM »
it does take some no how.   if you have the right tools and the know how then do it.  and double check your work. :thumbsup:
i love oregon wheelin.

2manytoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 490
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 08:38:08 AM »
Google "Erik's toyota differential info"  Once you get to that site check out all the great info and scroll down to "Zuk's gear install page".

On Zuk's page there are step by step pics and specs to just about every Toyota diff setup combo you can think of. There is a section on what tools you need to set up a diff also. I think you can learn how to set up and build a diff from this site if you have some mechanical ability and the tools.

Give it a look and decide if it's something you want to jump into.

88 Pickup SAS'd, 3.4 V6, R151F Hybrid, Dual Ultimate, Triple sticks, 35's, 5.29's, HP front, V6 rear, Aussies, 63" Chevs, Anti Wrap Bar, Warn 8274 on Home Built Bumper

4WU linked 86 Xtra Cab build in progress

-Jake-

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 538
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 09:13:45 AM »
Google "Erik's toyota differential info"  Once you get to that site check out all the great info and scroll down to "Zuk's gear install page".

On Zuk's page there are step by step pics and specs to just about every Toyota diff setup combo you can think of. There is a section on what tools you need to set up a diff also. I think you can learn how to set up and build a diff from this site if you have some mechanical ability and the tools.

Give it a look and decide if it's something you want to jump into.

x2 perfect advice. 
81 Hilux, E-Lockers, 5.29s, Duals, 30 spline Longfields, 8274 Warn, 40" Iroks, F150s and RUF

Joey88RUNR

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 1,057
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 09:42:35 AM »
Yea spend a few days reading, and researching it will give you a better idea if you think you can do it. I did mine on my own with a little help over the shoulder. still going strong, I think :gap:
SaS'd Dual ultimate crawler w/5.29s Aussie front/detriot Rear, 35's Mtr's with kevlar

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 10:31:10 AM »
if you havent rebuilt several engines that are still running or rebuilt transmissions and have a large variety of tools and the ability to make your own tools DONT EVEN TRY IT,  you'll be busting R&P's before you know it
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

-Jake-

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 538
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 11:36:35 AM »
if you havent rebuilt several engines that are still running or rebuilt transmissions and have a large variety of tools and the ability to make your own tools DONT EVEN TRY IT,  you'll be busting R&P's before you know it

you'll need a magnetic base dial indicator, a 1/2" torque wrench and a 1/4" torque wrench in inch pounds.  You can make the rest of the tools ;)
81 Hilux, E-Lockers, 5.29s, Duals, 30 spline Longfields, 8274 Warn, 40" Iroks, F150s and RUF

toyotaraskmt

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 62
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
    • Team Dasey
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 08:36:37 PM »
personally i didn't want to pay over $100 for each 3rd to be setup. so i decided to do it myself. i regeared my first 3rd about 5 months ago after doing TONS of research. it took me forever to setup as i was being completely anal about it making sure everything was perfect. after putting it in, its been runnin awesome ever since. i regeared my second 3rd about a month or two ago and wasnt as patient and didnt set preload EXACTLY perfect and ended up toasting bearings. therefore, i had to set it up all over again. i agree with everyone elses comments. with the right tools, lots of research (http://www.gearinstalls.com/), and plenty of patience, its doable for a first timer. if you dont feel comfortable, then pay someone.