Author Topic: Getting our trails closed  (Read 4051 times)

75 toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 164
  • Male Posts: 332
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Getting our trails closed
« on: Nov 25, 2009, 02:07:39 PM »
I got some pics of some idiots tearing up the hillside at bald last weekend. They were off the trail in the dirt and when I said to them "that's why they close trails the guy just shrugged and sent up the hillside anyway. Because they seemed not to care I ratted them out to NFS and now I'm feeling a little guilty. What do you guys think?

jonathan82toy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 502
  • Member since Mar '07
  • 1St Gens Rule!
    • View Profile
Re: Getting our trails closed
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2009, 02:24:55 PM »
I know I want to keep wheelin..... I would have done it too  :thumbs:                             

:bowdown:  :turtle:
What Is The Truth Behind The Magic Turtle Breeding Program?

S.S. More Powerful Than Superman, Batman, Spiderman And The Incredible Hulk Put Together.

PadawanYota_Stovy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 154
  • Member since Apr '09
  • I drive , I wheel , I crawl , I am Toyota
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2009, 02:27:32 PM »
Don't be . If we see people doing that in our local area of WA if we can we take pictures of their rig and  plate and send it in as well. Because that is what gets the trail is dumb ass people trying to mud :pokinit: or tear up the forest and being dummies . it is usually the city people or people who don't know any better that do this stupid act because they think its "cool" or fun . IMO way to go and keep the trails safe , fun and enjoyable .  :thumbs: :thumbs:

Stats : 85 Toyota 22RE , 3" body lift, 32" wild country's, Duel Marlin, Lock rights front and rear, full inside cage. 

I drive , I wheel , I crawl , I am Toyota

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2009, 02:34:27 PM »
You made the right call.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2009, 02:48:04 PM »
agreed you did it right :)   
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

75 toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »
I think climbing over rocks or granite next to the trail is not a big deal if you dont go off into the dirt. Its pretty common here, but when the dirt and vegitation starts getting torn up they start looking at closing trails. Thats what gives ammunition to the green people. I have to admit I dont like seeing motorcycle or 4x4 scars in hillsides myself.

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2009, 03:31:32 PM »
I would have done the same, never even think twice about it.  If people don't want to get in trouble for doing something bad, they need to have the foresight to avoid doing it in the first place!  I've had people say stuff like "you got me in trouble for screwing off at work".  No, YOU got yourself in trouble for screwing off  ;)

And I agree, hopping up on a rock on the side of the trail isn't anything to sweat, but tearing crap up and giving them fodder screws us all. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2009, 04:58:50 PM »
We wouldn't have stood for that here, we are all for fun but staying on the trails or posted areas not only keeps things as they should be but enhances our travels offroad. I not only enjoy wheeling but also take in the sights, but if the beauty is destroyed by carelessness not only will it ruin the area but it will be used against us and we will be locked out of an area. Spider Lake is a perfect example of what can happen if you ignore stupid people and don't report them. Reporting them was the right thing to do, not only are those that destroy found out but it also shows that most of the offroading community cares about the enviroment sans a few.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2009, 06:07:14 PM »
We wouldn't have stood for that here, we are all for fun but staying on the trails or posted areas not only keeps things as they should be but enhances our travels offroad. I not only enjoy wheeling but also take in the sights, but if the beauty is destroyed by carelessness not only will it ruin the area but it will be used against us and we will be locked out of an area. Spider Lake is a perfect example of what can happen if you ignore stupid people and don't report them. Reporting them was the right thing to do, not only are those that destroy found out but it also shows that most of the offroading community cares about the enviroment sans a few.

What he said.

I'da not only given them a piece of my mind - I'da very obviously taken pics of their rigs and told them what I was going to do with those pics (turn them in!)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2009, 07:01:23 PM »
I got some pics of some idiots tearing up the hillside at bald last weekend. They were off the trail in the dirt and when I said to them "that's why they close trails the guy just shrugged and sent up the hillside anyway. Because they seemed not to care I ratted them out to NFS and now I'm feeling a little guilty. What do you guys think?
dude, your my hero :thumbs:

Ive done it, and I'll do it again :thumbs:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

toyodaaddict

• Online The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,145
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2009, 07:23:40 PM »
ive allways been a bit confused about reporting trail rule violaters to the FS wont they just turn around and use the evidence against the entire 4wheeling comunity? from what ive read on the forum  and the little bit ive heard from the trail watch programs reporting these violations is what needs to be done so i guess im on board just a bit confused as to how reporting violations will help. ive never cought any one in the act just witnessed the aftermath and the truck loads of garbage left behind by the a$$holes. wich i pick up and pack out when ever possible. i think they need to enforce having the NWFS pass, i understand they dont have the man power to check everyone but if they made the penalty for not having it say a $1000 fine it might help. i believe alot of the garbage and land destruction in NW wa. is done by once a year campers and idiots that like to tear :pokinit: up and these kind of people dont buy the NWFS pass.i can say in the past 3 years ive only been asked about my pass once and that was at evans creek. sorry for getting off topic but trail rule violation really pisses me off and i needed to rant
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #11 on: Nov 25, 2009, 07:28:18 PM »
Look at it this way if you don't report them not only will they still see the damage but they will blame everyone on 4 wheels, which is generally what happens. A few stupid idiots ruin it for everyone, they will still see the damage done and they will still try to lock us out so by reporting them you at least don't take the blame just because you drive offroad and if you don't do anything at all you are no better than those that do it.

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 25, 2009, 07:33:46 PM »
If they know other 4 wheelers are responsible then it lets them know we all arent yahoos out there
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

toyodaaddict

• Online The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,145
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 25, 2009, 07:43:10 PM »
   that makes sence. sometimes i just feel like anyone who doesnt wheel is out to shut us down. when the time comes that i catch a violater in the act ill be taking pictures and reporting them.
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 25, 2009, 09:52:58 PM »
Don't feel at all guilty for turning them in... ya did good!!  :therethere:

Also, if they get in a bit of trouble, maybe they'll think twice before they do something like that again.
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

86rustbucket

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2009, 10:42:18 PM »
What he said.

I'da not only given them a piece of my mind - I'da very obviously taken pics of their rigs and told them what I was going to do with those pics (turn them in!)
HE DID,...... i seen it  :yesnod:

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2009, 10:48:25 PM »
HE DID,...... i seen it  :yesnod:

I saw that :beerchug: Thanks!!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 296
  • Male Posts: 2,526
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 26, 2009, 12:04:40 AM »
 :biggthumpup:
i love oregon wheelin.

fj-rankenstein

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Jan '05
  • my yard looks like toyota circa 1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 26, 2009, 12:35:41 AM »
you definitelly did the right thing...i have done the same and dont regret it one bit..   it always amazes me that no matter how hard a person tries to make things better for anyone else there are always those losers out there that wreck it for us..    i think this is definitelly the difference between someone who is a 4x4/ outdoor enthusiast  vs.  some loser who just buys or builds a truck and tears up land and creates new trails on non designated off road land.   we use our trucks and trials and try to enjoy this hobby with a little respect to the environment where as they are doing this for a cheap thrill with no care for consequences... these people will continue to destroy it for the rest of us and when there are no trails to drive on anymore they will just choose and exploit some other destructive hobbie till they screw it up for everyone again..  i just dont understand this mindset...
the never ending build...
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=12165.0;highlight=extend-a-toy

Was searching for something and came across this old jew. BUMP to a classic thread :thumbs:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #20 on: Nov 26, 2009, 10:19:42 AM »
What this boils down to is we must police ourselves, it's not like you can call the police and they come out and resolve the situation. If we are not proactive and deal with issues offroad, they will be reactive and just lock us out. It is bad enough battling the Nature Nazi's constantly trying to find a reason to complain about an area to close it to us. The asbestos situation up in the OHV areas in Northern California is a prime example of an excuse of protecting us from ourselves. Then on top of it to go where we shouldn't be and destroying the landscape and delicate habitat needs to be on everyones mind while enjoying not only what we love to do but also not destroy the main thing that brought us there in the 1st place, the beauty of being in nature.

75 toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 26, 2009, 12:43:23 PM »
Thanx everyone. I just hate to cause problems for people even if they bring it on themselves. I was young and stupid once but I feel like if we don't protect it from them (or ourselves), soon there will be no place to go wheeling.

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Nov 26, 2009, 04:00:27 PM »
You did it right Dan. Anthony (local FS OHV contact) appreciates knowing there are responsible people on the trail trying to keep them open. There is a few instances I can think of where fines have been mailed to the irresponsible wheelers if a licence plate was also captured on film. The numbers I've heard thrown around are nothing to scoff at either. If Anthony can nail those guys I'm sure he will.

Unfortunately there are many people new to the sport who don't take the time to educate themelves so the responsibility falls on the shoulders of the responsible trail goers.

Glad you took some time out of your trip to try and educate.  :thumbs:
"between projects"

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Nov 26, 2009, 06:56:34 PM »

You absolutely did the right thing.  My wife owns a non profit organization that is dedicated to doing exactly what you did.  We have turned in and documented many violators.  Some call us trail nazi's and that's fine they are entitled to their opinion.  But when we watch our trails getting shut down due to these morons tearing things up we have to do something to put an end to the destruction.  It's all about educating them, some of these guys just don't know any better.. :ack:

If you're interested check out www.orvtrailwatch.org  We are based in the PNW but the principals are the same everywhere.  :thumbs:
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Nov 27, 2009, 05:26:54 PM »
ive allways been a bit confused about reporting trail rule violaters to the FS wont they just turn around and use the evidence against the entire 4wheeling comunity? from what ive read on the forum  and the little bit ive heard from the trail watch programs reporting these violations is what needs to be done so i guess im on board just a bit confused as to how reporting violations will help. ive never cought any one in the act just witnessed the aftermath and the truck loads of garbage left behind by the a$$holes. wich i pick up and pack out when ever possible. i think they need to enforce having the NWFS pass, i understand they dont have the man power to check everyone but if they made the penalty for not having it say a $1000 fine it might help. i believe alot of the garbage and land destruction in NW wa. is done by once a year campers and idiots that like to tear :pokinit: up and these kind of people dont buy the NWFS pass.i can say in the past 3 years ive only been asked about my pass once and that was at evans creek. sorry for getting off topic but trail rule violation really pisses me off and i needed to rant

I think I can safely say the majority of rangers don't mind the responsible wheelers, they'd much rather go after the jack :moon: s that run off the trail then come after us as a whole.  Lost access is also lost revenue, both for the gov't (green stickers, smog for the trail rigs, reg for the trail rigs, for the trailers, for the tow rigs, etc.) as well as for the local guys near the trails that benefit from sales and services to wheelers, Robb's Resort being a prime example. I've heard of people losing their green stickers over something like this, in addition to the pretty hefty fines that get handed out. 

To the OP, you definitely did it right.  We were all young and dumb once, but that doesn't cut it anymore.  The greenies are out for blood, and we all need to do our part.  Well done! :beerchug:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent