Author Topic: Need 2nd opinion  (Read 1179 times)

sricruiser

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 46
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
Need 2nd opinion
« on: Jan 15, 2010, 08:47:17 AM »
I have a 20r in my 1980 Hilux.

I was getting a bad rattling coming out of my engine, and was losing compression, so I pulled the engine apart.  I took the head to the machine shop and the guy said that a few of the valves may need to be replaced and the head decked and cleaned.  He told me to also check the #3 piston for damage, since the bottom of the head had some damage in that corresponding area.

When I got home, sure enough,  the top of the 3rd piston looked like something has been hitting on it.  The sleeve of the #3 piston seems to have some grooves, even though I can't really feel the groove with my bare finger.  Do you think this is going to be an issue when I put the head back on?  Is there any way to check this without taking the block to the machine shop.  Someone suggested filling it with some gas and leaving it for a few hours to see if the gas leaks out.  Any help in the issue is greatly appreciated.   :bowdown: :bowdown: I'm completely  :conf: when it comes to engine block work.   

I'm ok with spending the money for the head work, but I don't know about spending the money to get the that chamber resleaved.  If it gets to be in the $500 range, I'd rather save the money and start prepping for an EFI engine swap.   

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Need 2nd opinion
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2010, 07:13:24 AM »
Do the EFI swap! That piston looks toasted to me.
Time to go wheelin!

Joey88RUNR

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 1,057
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2010, 07:19:03 AM »
Id say Do the efi swap, dont waist time/money on that old thing
SaS'd Dual ultimate crawler w/5.29s Aussie front/detriot Rear, 35's Mtr's with kevlar

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2010, 11:27:02 AM »
I'm not an expert on this, but it looks to me like there was water leaking into the 3rd cylinder, which has damaged the piston. To answer the question you posed, yes, I think it will create a problem. It looks from the picture like the top of the piston is pitted, which could be corrosion or detonation damage. It will eventually fail.

The other possible downside is that if you get the head all nice and tight, the bottom end may not be able to handle the extra compression (because it no longer leaks), and you could blow out the bottom end.

It would probably be much cheaper to rebuild that motor than do a swap, but if your ultimate goal is to go EFI, then I would probably start saving my pennies, and move that direction. With some tweaking, the 20r motor can be a great little powerplant. You could just get the head done, run it till it dies while your saving $$.

Just my $0.02

Erik
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

yotarunner85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 166
  • Member since Nov '09
  • San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2010, 12:52:54 AM »
X2
1985 Toyota 4Runner, BFG 35" MTs, 4" lift, Detroits lockers front & rear,5.29, V6 rear, rebuilt 22RE.

sricruiser [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 46
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2010, 09:44:58 AM »
Man,  thanks for all the feedback.  You guys are great.  I'll keep you all posted as things develop.  I'm gonna pull the pistons tonight.  I got the gasket set and piston rings coming.   I have to replace an intake and exhaust valve for the machine shop to finish the head work.  Erik got the right idea about what I'm gonna try to do.  I just want to get the truck up and running at the lowest cost for now.  I'm hoping to just replace the rings on all the pistons, and slap the head back on.  If it doesn't work, then I'm gonna go right into an EFI swap.  I'm not "knocking" the 20r.  It's a great engine.  It just looks like my 20r has been rebuilt a few times by the PO's.  I'm ready for something that has a little more pep and more importantly something that I had my hand in the whole way, so there's no one to blame when something goes wrong.