Author Topic: Great Danes  (Read 1973 times)

yota pu/runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 208
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
Great Danes
« on: Nov 12, 2009, 11:10:43 AM »
Curious to know if anyone on here owns a Great Dane or knows of someone that owns a Great Dane.  I have an oppotunity to adopt a 4 year old and was just wondering if anyone happens to own one or has owned one.  We had a Bloodhound not too long ago so we are accustomed to feeding a large dog but just looking for some owner knowledge.  All help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: Great Danes
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2009, 01:35:45 PM »
Had a neighbor that had one, really cool dog, really smart.  Thing was huge, and so was it's :pokinit: 

They trained it to give " hugs" which was pretty cool, he'd stand up on his hind legs, and put his front paws over your shoulders.

Only negative thing I saw with him was that when he got old, he had arthritis, joint problems, etc. Just from being such a big dog.  :dunno: if that's common to the breed or not, that's pretty much my only experience with them.

Oh yeah, one of our captains has a great Dane that will go for rides on the side car on his motorcycle.  :rofl:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 296
  • Male Posts: 2,526
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2009, 01:46:46 PM »
the only thing i no is there huge dogs. :thumbs:
i love oregon wheelin.

Axled89s

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2009, 01:51:26 PM »
At 4 years old it is about 2/3 through its life though..  I have owned a few over the years and do to their size the don't have long life spans..  Very fun Dogs though

yota pu/runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2009, 02:04:00 PM »
Yeah I know the bigger the dog the bigger the poo.

I know that the bulk of her life might be passed but she is very calm and relaxed which is what we are looking for right now.  Curious if you ever took any of them wheelin' with you.

P-DiseToy24

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -230
  • Male Posts: 868
  • Member since Aug '09
  • DDNB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2009, 02:13:15 PM »
Got a buddy who owns 5 of them..... yea I know you can hardly walk though the house without getting run over.  They are all great dogs and listen well.  The life spand isnt long but thats how it goes.  If I had the chance to get one I cant say I would its totally diferent than owning a reagular dog less food less water less space. haha they are just HUGE.  they cant go in cars or even small trucks they can walk around the house without knocking everthing over and running into everthing.  They can reach whats on the counter and ever food ontop of the fridge.  But little kids can ride them.. hahaha

EarlKann

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 160
  • Male Posts: 787
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2009, 03:09:26 PM »
Yeah I know the bigger the dog the bigger the poo.

I know that the bulk of her life might be passed but she is very calm and relaxed which is what we are looking for right now.  Curious if you ever took any of them wheelin' with you.

I have one now, going on 12 years old, and one that passed away a few years ago at 10 years old.  Very gentle disposition, excellent with kids.  As mentioned, as they get older they will have joint problems.  Mine has a hard time getting around these days, and being 100lbs she's a handfull to pick up when she falls down.  They both enjoyed car rides when they were younger, but they do take up the whole back seat!  Neither of mine were particularly agile so they would need help getting into a lifted truck.

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2009, 04:21:12 PM »
Nice dogs.

Two words of caution:

GIANT TURDS
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

yota pu/runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2009, 02:15:35 PM »
We are going up to meet her tomorrow morning and will decide after meeting her.  Thanks for all the info guys it is very much appreciated.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2009, 07:34:53 AM »
Unfortunately 4 years old is like 50 in human years for a Great Dane. My cousins had one and he lasted I think it was 9 years.... In the end he was very arthritic and ended up with a bone problem and tumors. They had to have him put down. However, at least half a dozen times he ended up in the vet for well over $2000 tabs. I would steer clear if you're concerned about cash in any way. They're not cheap to maintain.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -