Author Topic: My Bloodhound  (Read 2781 times)

yota pu/runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 208
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
My Bloodhound
« on: Aug 30, 2009, 07:57:50 PM »
Well I wasn't really sure where else to go and ask this other than my vet but they are closed right now and I don't think its an emergency.  But here is the situation.  We have a bloodhound that turned a year in July and for the about the last month he has been very slow moving and not as excited.  As a puppy he was always excited and running around and wouldn't stop.  He has just recently as in the past three times its been time to eat he hasn't been eating very well.  The first time it happened I pretty much had to hand feed him and the second time it took him about 20 minutes to eat and now he just doesn't want to eat.  He just seems really sad compared to how he used to act.  I know that they are known for stomach problems but this just seems really early for it to be starting.  Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 33
  • Male Posts: 719
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
Re: My Bloodhound
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2009, 08:08:52 PM »
Im no help but hope all turns out ok.

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2009, 08:13:56 PM »
has he been drinking alot of water, more than normal
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

yota pu/runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 2009, 08:25:47 PM »
He seems to have been drinking a little less water than normal.  He doesn't have diareaha and there not rock solid either.

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 30, 2009, 08:27:46 PM »
anything toxic he can be drinking? coolant?

the water thing i was talking about has to do with diabetes
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

yota pu/runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 30, 2009, 08:32:30 PM »
No not as far as I know.  I had a bucket next to the gate to the backyard but its still full and he hasn't been able to get to it.  I now can't feed him by hand either.  He just doesn't seem to care.

Sorry need to edit this I meant that there was a bucket of antifreeze on the otherside of the fence from him but he could not get to the bucket of antifreeze.  He has a big bucket of water in the backyard.  Sorry for the confusion.
« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2009, 08:59:33 PM by yota pu/runner »

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 30, 2009, 09:00:50 PM »
bring him to the vet

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

yota pu/runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 30, 2009, 09:35:57 PM »
Well he just drank water for about 5 minutes straight.  My wife put him outside for a mintes and I just let him back in.  He just came back inside and layed down where he normally does.  I just feel bad for him.  Thanks for the help.

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 30, 2009, 11:07:51 PM »
my old dog got sick like your talking kinda, just slept all day wouldn't eat and would constantly drink water. he ended up having diabetes, and that happened at like 8 years old. let us know what happens

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 31, 2009, 06:31:36 AM »
Definitely get him to a vet, and I wouldn't wait another day. No clue what it is, and maybe it's nothing too serious and he'll recover on his own, but maybe it is serious. Any chance he got into some fish? Could someone have tossed anything into the yard, and he found it? Salmon poisoning can be extremely bad if left untreated...
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

yota pu/runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 31, 2009, 07:14:07 AM »
I'm not real sure but it is possible that someone could have thrown something in the yard and he got to it.  I'll keep you posted on how he's doing and thanks for all the help.

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #11 on: Aug 31, 2009, 07:33:41 AM »
Heart worm  :dunno: vet time.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #12 on: Aug 31, 2009, 07:36:49 AM »
Dude quit dickin around on the forums and guessing and take your dog to the vet NOW. Stuff like this is nothing to mess with. Has your dog been vaccinated? If so, for what, and how long ago?

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 31, 2009, 09:26:19 AM »
:werd:

There is something wrong with the dog.  If he's been acting this way for a month, chances are he's not going to get over it himself.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

yota pu/runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 31, 2009, 10:16:42 AM »
Well took him to the vet this morning and he is going to have blood work and x-rays and some other stuff done.  The vet wasn't sure what it is all she could tell me was that he doesn't feel good, which I could have told her that.

And it has been a slow process over about a month.  He would be slow and the next day he would be normal so I didn't think anything of it.  He has been vaccinated.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #15 on: Aug 31, 2009, 10:28:59 AM »
Well took him to the vet this morning and he is going to have blood work and x-rays and some other stuff done.  The vet wasn't sure what it is all she could tell me was that he doesn't feel good, which I could have told her that.

And it has been a slow process over about a month.  He would be slow and the next day he would be normal so I didn't think anything of it.  He has been vaccinated.

I'm glad you took him to the vet. I hope that the blood work and x-rays can tell you something so that you can help him feel better :thumbs: :beerchug:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

yota pu/runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 31, 2009, 03:31:23 PM »
So I guess his lymphnoids are swollen.  The vet isn't sure why exactly yet but she doesn't make it sound good at all.  We've done a little research on it and most of the time you can usually give them medication but if they have the type which is cancer there is nothing they can do. 

Right now he isn't in any pain and is getting fluids.  I will hopefully find out more in the next hour so.  I will be leaving work to go see him and ask the doctor a few more questions.

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Aug 31, 2009, 03:48:11 PM »
Seems awfully strange that such a young dog might have something like that. With any luck it's something else, a lot less serious.

Waiting for an update later & hope for the best    :crossed:

yota pu/runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Sep 01, 2009, 08:33:31 AM »
Well he spent the day at the vets office yesterday and we were able to bring him home last night.  However I ended up taking him to the er at 10:30 last night as I could see him getting worse.  They ran blood tests and everything and at 11:30 were not sure what it was and could not tell me what it was even from or what they can do to fix him. 

At 11:40 last night he went to sleep.  To look at him made me hurt and to know that I couldn't do anything for him made it even harder.  I talked with the doctor and was told I made the better decision as even though he was on pain meds he was still suffering.

He was my first dog and will be a while before another can come along and fill that place.

Thanks for all the help and support everyone has given I appreciate it greatly.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sep 01, 2009, 08:44:24 AM »
:therethere:

I'm so sorry to hear man.  I think thats the hardest thing in the world, to have to say goodbye to a dog. 

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.... 

Author unknown...

:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

yota pu/runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sep 01, 2009, 08:53:29 AM »
Its hard to read that with out tearing up.

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sep 01, 2009, 02:10:40 PM »
puting your dog to sleep is the worst ever. sorry bro

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #22 on: Sep 01, 2009, 05:27:51 PM »
Pets are family members, and when you lose one, it hurts. I'm sorry that you're hurting. I had to put my husband's dog down last year and that was one of the hardest things I've ever done.

Hang in there buddy.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sep 01, 2009, 07:30:56 PM »
Wow man, I'm really sorry to hear that  :therethere:  It's always hit me harder to lose a dog than a family member (though I've luckily never lost an immediate family member :crossed: ) and always thought it a shame that dogs couldn't live the same lifespan as us.   Good luck man, hopefully you'll eventually get another pup!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sep 01, 2009, 07:40:22 PM »
Been gone all day and just got home, and this is the first thing I see on the computer. Damn, I'm really sorry to hear about it. It will take time for sure to get over it, and you never will forget..... but in time, a new pup will find its way into your life and into your heart. When it does happen, you'll find that's the best medicine of all for you.  :therethere:

yota pu/runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sep 01, 2009, 08:34:45 PM »
Thanks everyone, I lost my grandfather about 2 years ago and to compare the two its hard but to lose someone that you have raised and watch grow up is hard to loose.  We will get another puppy eventually but it will take some time.

Again thank you everyone for everything.

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #26 on: Sep 02, 2009, 05:12:49 AM »
sorry to hear this.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

thegoofster21

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,644
  • Member since Mar '08
  • HIT IT HARD!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Sep 05, 2009, 08:50:13 PM »
my lab just walk to me as i was reading this. his a year and a half, he must have knew i was readin this, its hard to lose dogs ive had a few in my life and they make everything better. they dont care about anything as long as you show them love. i hope you get a new puppy, at least he knew you loved him before he went to sleep. god bless

travis
Any guy who takes his woman wheeling enjoys her. A woman who is owned is left at home to cook, clean, and keep beer cold. So if this offends you you should stop looking and go have some tacos.    :rofl2: And a beer. If your old enough.   :beerchug:   :beer:

04 Tacoma 33s http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61454.0
jmoffroad.com

bako88

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 11
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sep 05, 2009, 09:08:48 PM »
Sorry for your loss yota pu/runner

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #29 on: Nov 02, 2009, 11:11:43 AM »
dont forget the "remember our beloved pets" thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61917.0
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way