Author Topic: cage questions  (Read 2335 times)

bschroeder

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
cage questions
« on: Nov 18, 2009, 04:53:43 PM »
well since i have not been able to find a lot of pictures on some exo cages for a single cab truck my next question would be to ask if you personally had a rig that doubled as your daily driver would you build an exo or stick one of marlins in cab cage kits in? i'm having mixed emotions on which one to do. money isn't an issue well as long as it is not way to mich. let me know what you guys think. thanks

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: cage questions
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2009, 09:38:47 PM »
Id go internal. I dont know for sure about price but Id guess its cheaper. It weighs less. And its not an eyecatcher for cops etc. Unless your really worried about your body or do a lot of tight wheeling where using the truck to slide is frequent I would personally prefer an internal setup.

Although because of the type of wheeling I do locally if i get serious about a cage itll probably be a part exo part interal setup.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 296
  • Male Posts: 2,526
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2009, 08:33:50 PM »
i'm doing a exo because of the wet wheather in oregon. i have to have the glass in my truck.  it get's cold and wet here.  and people that live in the warm climate probaly would'nt care about that so much.  and the exo will protect the windsheild and door glass , along with the body parts better then the interior cage.   :biggthumpup:
i love oregon wheelin.

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 296
  • Male Posts: 2,526
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2009, 08:35:20 PM »
internals also take up cab room to.
i love oregon wheelin.

Yoat Goat

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 37
  • Male Posts: 731
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Someday my truck will look like this
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2009, 03:30:34 AM »
Im gonna throw my exo through the front fenders so it wont look as bad(my opinion) as a full on exo. Food for thought...
T urning
O ver after
Y ears
O f
T rail
A buse

bschroeder [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2009, 01:17:16 PM »
Ok cool. now how bad of damage do you get body wise when you tip one on it lid with an in cab kit? Just curious i have never seen one that has a in cab cage kit that has been rolled.

studentwheeler

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 121
  • Male Posts: 382
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2009, 06:01:47 PM »
Good question. I was wondering the same thing...after a roll with marlins cage are the A-pillars ok? Can you straighten the roof line easy enough to put a windshield back in?

89sastoyo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 148
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2009, 01:03:51 AM »
it really just depends, I know a ton of people who have rolled there trucks with no cage and fixed the cab damage enough to get a sealable windshield in it. I put mine on its side in a ditch and I dont know if my a pillar will straighten out enough to seal a new windshield lol.

just depends.

As far as what would I run, like axled89 said I would personally run a partial exo on mine so i can make sure I have my xcab windows and a good windshiel when I do my cage i will also run it as low pro as posible with a lot of triangulating for the strength. A lot of exos you see have a lot of pointless tube thrown at them and look goddy in my opinion. with that said you can have an exo not as 5-0 atracting.

For an interior cage, I would only build one myself utalizing all the space in the cab as its build. The marlin ones are cool and work but they aren't exactly as tight as they could be, I would run mine threw the dash and down to the kick panel for more room things like that just to keep the space ya know? Coods built and interior cage for his datsun so he could run a comp and he was hitting his head on it 24/7.
89 extra cab stock on 1 tons.
83 rolled with built toy axles
92 2wd DD
first gen cab

Check out the build.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=56487.0