Author Topic: help please!!!!  (Read 3945 times)

85toycrawler

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 189
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
help please!!!!
« on: Sep 19, 2009, 05:32:03 PM »
ok so here is the deal, i got a 85 efi runner a while back. turns out the head gasket was blown. so i had a spare 22r sitting in the shop, so i decided to yank the motor and put all the efi stuff on the 22r. so now that its all in it seems i have antifreeze in the intake manifold..... 1st thing i forgot was the long bolt that goes through the thermostat housing and into the head... so then i got it tight and i still have antifreeze going into the intake manifold. can someone please help me out? what am i forgetting?
Watch their hands. Hands kill. Smiles, frowns and other facial expressions don't (In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.)

Burl

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 271
  • Male Posts: 389
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Wannabe Smokejumper
    • View Profile
Re: help please!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 2009, 08:39:16 PM »
On my old 84 carb I put an 22re engine in with all my carb stuff and had the same problem.  Pulled the intake back off and really made sure I had a clean seal with a fresh gasket and that fixed it must have had a little piece of old gasket still on the mating surface.

drayday55

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 299
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2009, 09:11:56 PM »
yup, clean it off, i used a very thin coat of toyota form in place gasket on both sides of the manifold gasket good luck

85toycrawler [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2009, 04:49:28 PM »
yeah it turned out to be the gasket. but now i dont have any spark...  i havent checked everything yet, but i was wondering if there is any way it could be due to the fact that i swapped in the 5 spd in place of the automatic... maybe a neutral safety switch?
Watch their hands. Hands kill. Smiles, frowns and other facial expressions don't (In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.)

Burl

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Wannabe Smokejumper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2009, 05:05:36 PM »
I did the same swap on my current rig I have an 854Runner that had an automatic tranny I put a manual in it and couldnt get it to start there it a couple of wiring harness plugs near the starter about an inch around and yellow.  you have to either get the other side of the plug to solder the the connection inside it and replug it back together.  Or on the cheaper side just build a short jump wire approximately 2 inches long with spade conecters and jump that plug.

85toycrawler [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2009, 05:49:30 PM »
well i like the sound of that.  now its just the issue of finding these said connections... this thing is a wiring nightmare. :thumbdown:

Burl

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Wannabe Smokejumper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 21, 2009, 07:58:31 PM »
I'll try to post a picture of my jump wire tomorrow i've got the day off.

85toycrawler [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 21, 2009, 08:17:59 PM »
that would be great. thanks!

85toycrawler [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 24, 2009, 04:35:27 PM »
any luck with that pic of the jump wire?

Burl

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Wannabe Smokejumper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 25, 2009, 01:15:01 PM »
See if this helps sorry so late

85toycrawler [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 25, 2009, 06:50:27 PM »
hell yeah man! i know exactly what plug that is. thanks man, i will see if it works tomorrow. thanks again. you have no idea the flaming i got on pirate about this ordeal...

Burl

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Wannabe Smokejumper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 25, 2009, 07:17:46 PM »
let me know I can probably take some more pics of my harness on that side if you need.  I think it has more to do with the cold start. at least thats what mine was I had spark from the coil but the cold start was the issue with mine.

85toycrawler [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 26, 2009, 10:34:01 AM »
ok, so i jumped that plug and still no fire.  i wonder what i missed?

Burl

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Wannabe Smokejumper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep 26, 2009, 02:18:37 PM »
Truck won't start or have you actually traced it back to the coil wire and made sure that it isn't your coil or ignition module.  Fouled plugs maybe.  I will also take pics of the rest of my wiring harness on that side by the starter it might help.

85toycrawler [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sep 26, 2009, 04:01:42 PM »
well i just put in a new coil and plugs and now i have spark.  retimed it and it still wont start... it has to do something with the automatic being gone.  would it be the ecu for the automatic? 

Burl

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Wannabe Smokejumper
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sep 26, 2009, 08:25:27 PM »
I removed the transmission computer from my rig I think it was called the ECT.  If you have spark at the spark plugs thats good It is either no fuel wich could be that the cold start is not working properly.  Or when you re timed it could be 180 deg out of time on the wrong top dead center of the number one cylinder sounds more like the cold start though I'll try to get you some more pics.

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sep 26, 2009, 10:10:44 PM »
Or when you re timed it could be 180 deg out

If that were the case and everything else was working, it'd likely act like it was trying to start but pop and backfire.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

85toycrawler [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sep 26, 2009, 10:37:52 PM »
If that were the case and everything else was working, it'd likely act like it was trying to start but pop and backfire.

that is exactly what it is doing. but i thought it was timed right. i pulled the cap and everything.  everything looks right....

84pickup

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 335
  • Member since May '07
  • Barnwell Mountain (stock) Texas TrailRiders Jam 08
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Sep 27, 2009, 08:28:32 AM »
when you time it you have to make sure it's at TDC on the compression stroke and to be absolutely sure you have to take the valve cover off and see that the rockers for cyl 1 are loose and cyl 4 are tight. then re-time it.
lets not and say we did.

Burl

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Wannabe Smokejumper
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sep 27, 2009, 02:30:41 PM »
I used the method to time mine by inserting a stiff plastic rod into the # 1 cylinder and rotating the crank by hand taking care not to get the piece of plastic in a bind when the piston comes up.  works best with two people. one to crank and one to keep the plastic rod from binding and watching the rotation of the rotor.  If you can't get it to start and it pops and backfires then re insert the plastic rod and find TDC on the next stroke the re align your rotor with the # 1 spark plug wire terminal on the distributor cap. this should get you close to time then you need ti fine tune with a timing light and the index marks on the dampner.

85toycrawler [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sep 27, 2009, 06:40:05 PM »
we used your method Burl.  but i think we may not have it at tdc on the compression stroke...  i didnt mess with it today, maybe tomorrow when i get off work. i wish i had my new house with the garage... i have to do all my work in my father in laws shop until we close on our house...

Burl

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Wannabe Smokejumper
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sep 28, 2009, 12:44:21 PM »
When you get time just redo that same procedure on the next tdc stroke and you should have it on the right one.

mw85

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 17
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sep 29, 2009, 08:24:56 AM »
when you time it you have to make sure it's at TDC on the compression stroke and to be absolutely sure you have to take the valve cover off and see that the rockers for cyl 1 are loose and cyl 4 are tight. then re-time it.
this is the best way to time it. it will be right every time
nothing to be said

85toycrawler [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sep 29, 2009, 08:09:11 PM »
well, after many frustrated days and nights my 4 runner finally runs.  turned out to be out of time 180*.  got it in time and she fired right up. now i just need to fix my exhaust leaks and find the bottom portion of my front drive shaft.  i just want to thank you guys for all the help. :bowdown:

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sep 29, 2009, 11:30:05 PM »
Good to hear, congrats man  :thumbs:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

84pickup

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 335
  • Member since May '07
  • Barnwell Mountain (stock) Texas TrailRiders Jam 08
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sep 30, 2009, 12:25:46 PM »
sweet  :cool: glad to hear you got it all figured out.
lets not and say we did.