Author Topic: Interesting issue  (Read 2091 times)

Slolyfe

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -117
  • Male Posts: 2,048
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile
Interesting issue
« on: Jun 10, 2009, 07:54:33 PM »
So I have an 08 Tacoma 4x4 Access cab with the TRD offroad package. 6 Speed

This weekend I was camping and had the bed of the truck FULL of logs to burn. As I pulled in to park(forward) I pulled the Ebrake in addition to hitting the break pedal, in 2wd. After I unloaded the wood I went to move the truck and the drivers rear tire was locked. The motor stalled out. So I put the ebrake on and off tried again and the truck would not move. I played with the ebrake some more, tried going forward and reversing, in 2 and 4wd with no luck. So i put it in 4low and the ruck moved but pulled the rear tire along(with no spinning). turned on the Elocker and no luck, it just stalled out.

I figured that by pulling the ebrake while parking it expanded the drum brakes in the rear(the little star wheel in there). But i thought that only happened in reverse.

I broke the lugs loose to pull the tire, so I could access the adjustment hole in the back of the drum to loosen the brake. But when I jacked the tire up it released with a big clank and the tire sprung freely. I retightened the lugs and it drove fine. Everything work like new. I pulled the drum off when I got home and it looks good.

Has anyone had this happen? Just curious.
You'll never take me alive

DeMented Toys

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 160
  • Male Posts: 1,151
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting issue
« Reply #1 on: Jun 12, 2009, 01:04:38 AM »
I wonder if it had something to do with the weight being in the bed when you put on the e-brake and then after unloading releasing it...  Kind of like how a proportioning valve causes more rear brakes when the bed is loaded down or something like that...   :think:
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

Slolyfe [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 12, 2009, 01:33:33 PM »
I wonder if it had something to do with the weight being in the bed when you put on the e-brake and then after unloading releasing it...  Kind of like how a proportioning valve causes more rear brakes when the bed is loaded down or something like that...   :think:

Never thought of the weight proportioning valve. Do new Tacomas have those? I'll have to climb under and look.

Thanks for the input.

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #3 on: Jun 12, 2009, 02:25:34 PM »
Weight in the bed would have no effect on the e-brake.

Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

DeMented Toys

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 160
  • Male Posts: 1,151
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 12, 2009, 06:20:40 PM »
If you backed in to unload the additional rear brake pressure from the added weight combined with using the ebrake may have caused it to lock.  If your ebrake was adjusted tight and the adjuster spun more when you stopped that could have contributed to the brake getting stuck
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

Slolyfe [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 12, 2009, 08:30:14 PM »
If you backed in to unload the additional rear brake pressure from the added weight combined with using the ebrake may have caused it to lock.  If your ebrake was adjusted tight and the adjuster spun more when you stopped that could have contributed to the brake getting stuck

Thats all I could figure. But it released when I jacked the tire in the air. Weird

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Jun 12, 2009, 11:37:36 PM »
not specific to a tacoma but when i pulled my axleshafts to change out my third, on one side my ebrake was locked right after i connected the cable even though the cable was loose, i pull cable, kinda jiggled the ebrake latch and it didnt move at all but the tire spun freely after that...so a similar random ebrake lockup on one side but it hasnt done anyhting weird since... :dunno:
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS