Author Topic: Best way to measure the length for drive shafts after Dual case install?  (Read 2401 times)

Aaronm

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 164
  • Male Posts: 404
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
Just isntalled dual cases in my 87 4runner and now I need to know the best way to estimate the length for driveshafts. Do I just measure sitting on the ground or meausure with axles dropped? I am goin with the a front drive shaft lengthened in the rear and another front drive shaft in the front. Thanks for the help. :hammer:
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point, in your rambling incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 33
  • Male Posts: 719
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
Driveline shops sometimes like different measurements. When i ordered my driveline from High angle Jess told me to measure from the pinion nut to the nut on the output of the tcase with the truck at ride height. He asked me what kind of suspension i was running to get an idea of how much slip i needed. Ask the driveline shop if they want a full stuff and droop measurement. I doubt they need the numbers unless you are wondering a linked suspension and have a ton of travel.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
For setting the drive shaft length, measure it from flange to flange at rest. You should allow at least 1.25" of compression on the rear shaft and maybe a bit more in front (1.5"-2" - assuming spring shackles in back) to allow for the suspension compression. Then, be sure you have enough spline travel at full droop. If the existing spline length is not long enough (sometime a problem in the front drive shaft) a long travel spline shaft may be needed.

RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco