Author Topic: I think my truck is running rich,, whats the best way to lean it out??  (Read 2351 times)

spaded1

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -7
  • Member since Jan '09
  • 85 toyota pickup EFI, bobbed bed 12 inches, 33'
    • View Profile
what do you guys do?

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 97
  • Male Posts: 1,095
  • Member since May '04
  • From Reykjavik Iceland...
    • View Profile
    • R&T
I have been running diesel for over 10 years now so not the best idiot to answear this.... but I think you should look at the spark plugs, you should get some with bigger or smaller gab.... and also check your timing and so on.

the coolest way is to add a new spark plug in your exchaust system real close to the engine.... and ignite it ewery 5 minutes or so...  :ladys-man:
4runner body on a hilux frame = Hi-Runner.
 2,4 dti duals 2,28 x 2,28 to 8" 5.71 with arbīs  and 39,5" trxus
gathering parts for my goal which is
350 Chevy 700r4 auto to 2.28 x 4.70  and 4.88 9,5" cruisers diffs,diamondaxles and cable lockers, 44" richard cepecs

abeer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 36
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
 I would adjust the AFM on your intake. There's a few threads on how to. Pretty easy- pry off the lid, loosen screw, adjust a click or two (clockwise I think- but double check), disconnect battery wait and try it. resilicone lid on AFM when its all good.

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
A lot of people overlook thier air filter.  If your's is dirty, replace it.  If it's a k&n type, clean it. 

(Not trying to be a smart-ass, but the basics need to be addressed first.)

Also, what engine is in your rig?  If it's still the 22re, you might want to try Afm trick like abeer suggested.  You might also want to see if any of your injectors are leaking.  Keep in mind, it will run rich on startup until the engine is warm.  The ecu does this to get it into closed loop faster for emissions reasons.
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
are you trying to smog it and getting a result of too rich? how do you know it is too rich?

if it is because you are trying to smog it, the car must be at operating temperature first.... also you should have fresh oil in it (old oil can actually make it appear richer than it really is)

try the air filter, and change the fuel filter too....

and what engine is this? 20r, 22r, 22re, 2.7, 3.0, 3.4 ?
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~