Author Topic: Not a bad idea!  (Read 1044 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Not a bad idea!
« on: Dec 16, 2008, 09:49:33 PM »
Saw this thread on pirate and thought I'd share with those who either missed it or don't go there.  I'm not looking at this from the paranoia standpoint, more like from the thought of being prepared for getting stuck or stranded in your vehicle.  Check it out:

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=741626
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
Re: Not a bad idea!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2008, 09:57:21 PM »
nice

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2008, 08:49:58 AM »
I have a backpack that I keep in my vehicles, has everything needed to survive if I get stranded. Has a little more than that one, including water, MRE's, rain ponchos, beanies, gloves, etc, etc. Never had to use it myself but have used it in a couple cases where I ran into people lost while I was wheeling/camping.

One time I was heading home in Big Bear and ran into a maybe 10 yr old kid and grandma, they had gone for an nature walk and got lost. They really didn't have anything, it was getting late and had started to rain. I gave them my gear and loaded them into the bed of my truck.

Another time again I was headed home, this time is was early spring and there was still a little snow on the ground and the temps were at the freezing point. I came around a corner to find a 2wd fullsize Ford buried in a mud puddle. There were three guys in tanktops and shorts trying to get it free, they were wet and getting very cold. So I broke out my pack and had enough stuff to at least cover them. I towed them out of the mud and thought I sent them on their way. Unfortunately the 2wd truck kept sliding in the now ice covered trail so I hooked my tow strap to them and pulled them all the way to the pavement. Of course this was the opposite direction I was headed so once I got to pavement I didn't go back since it was now dark and didn't want to end up like they did.

So not only will something like that help you, it seems for me it is there for those that don't know what they are getting themselves into. Both times it started out as a nice afternoon trip but turned ugly after they bit off more than they could handle.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

ninja turtle

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 38
  • Male Posts: 1,072
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2008, 08:56:53 AM »
and loaded them into the bed of my truck.
:rofl:  :rofl2:

this is a good idea as a gift. i thought somebody on here was doing something like that....?

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2008, 08:59:56 AM »
What's so funny about that? :gap: