Author Topic: Looking for your opinion.  (Read 3641 times)

Joe J

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Looking for your opinion.
« on: Aug 30, 2004, 02:32:45 PM »
Since this is a true Toyota site and FJ80 axles seem to be in modest supply at best - what do you guys think of a true 9" Ford High Pinion for strength and reliability on the trails?  This axle appears to have excellent bearing support, reverse rotation with no stress on pinion supports or bearing caps. The gears are custom made by Richmond and they are truly beefy.  Looks like one will maintain the same ground clearance as our Toyota 8" axles have with just a little shaving and the rear driveshaft & yoke will have close to 4" or more of clearance over our 8" axles.  The axle shafts are 31-spline but we can elect to go either 35 or 40-spline if we so choose.  ARB makes a 35-spline locker for the 9" so that's also a plus.  I haven't had any problems with my 8" Toyota axle so far and I've only dinged my rear drive shaft a couple of times and all that was needed was to re-case the shaft.  I'm thinking real seriously about going to this setup both in the front & rear.  Take a look at their website and give me your opinion.  http://www.truehi9.com/       

Tool Guy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -8
  • Male Posts: 33
  • Member since Jul '04
  • $800 84 Toyota
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for your opinion.
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2004, 03:08:13 PM »
Personnally, I like the Ford 9".  A lot of aftermarket parts and lots of potential.  I had been thinking of doing the same thing to my 84 Toy truck.  But it all breaks down to how much you wish to spend on the swap and necessary fab.  Not to mention, how much serious wheeling are you doing/plan to do to make you concerned in breaking your current 8"?
84 Toyota- Cost $800, BS 3" Rancho Lift, Worn out RS5000s, 32" A/T's, Burned up Radio, New Plugs, and Wires

86 Chevy- Cost $500, Dead Battery, Out of Registration, No Inspection, a few holes in the bed

03 F150- Cost I still cry about, K&N FIPK, Dumped Flowmaster, Pioneer Head Unit and AMP, 4 ways and 10" Sub
03 F150- Company Truck, Stupid useless tonneau cover, stupid sticker telling everyone who I work for, wasted space in my driveway

Mike D

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 122
  • Male Posts: 1,902
  • Member since Jun '04
  • MMMMMMMMMM........
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2004, 05:09:41 PM »
The 9" is one of the best :biggthumpup:
87 runner, 4" trailmaster lift, 33" TSL/SX, 5.29's V6 e-locker, 22re that cost too much

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 2004, 06:22:32 PM »
some sort of 9" would be my choice if i ever got sick of my 8" toy axles.  but i'm just a web wheeler, what do i know :rivers:

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 30, 2004, 07:35:48 PM »
My fiends thought i was stupid becasue i wanted to get a 9 inch for the rear.  I still want to.  The price could be killer though.  A high pinion would be great.  I never new that it could be stronger then a dana 70. 

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 193
  • Member since May '02
  • I believe in Life before Death
    • View Profile
    • www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com
« Reply #5 on: Aug 31, 2004, 10:17:59 AM »
it's a c-clip axle right? eeewww

I'm pretty impressed with the T100 rear axle, width is right on and clearance/strength is great..

I run a D60 but I run with a guy that has the wider toyota axle and I like it a lot..
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA
www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 31, 2004, 10:26:18 AM »
9" a c clip axle?  huh? ???

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 31, 2004, 10:39:57 AM »
Are you saying it isn't? Honestly I dunno, but I thought they were. If so that means if you bust an axle the whole assembly will just slide on out - like a land cruiser  :greengrin:
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 31, 2004, 02:13:45 PM »
Nope 9" axles are semi floaters.  The axles are removed just like on a dana 44, you pull the drum and there is a hole in the axle flange that you stick an extension and socket through.
 :thumbs:
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

lowgeared

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 556
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 31, 2004, 06:04:56 PM »
Nine inches kick butt.  I have a fullsize one in the rear of my Jeep and it has held up well.  I have another one that isn't as wide and a Dana 44 out of a Blazer that I've considered swapping into one of the Toyotas.  I can't seem to break any parts as of yet on the 8 inchers.  Just leaks at the knuckles on the front and that's about it.
Friends help you move.  Real friends help you move bodies.

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 99
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 01, 2004, 01:27:34 PM »
I would go with a nine inch also, the reason I like the yota 8 inch so much is because the 3rd's are interchangeable, but that is the same if you go with a 9 inch up front. So you only need to have one spare.  :thumbs:
RUBICON TESTED BIG BALLS APPROVED

Dark Chaos

• Marlin Crawler
  • I used to Crawl. I still do, but I used to, too.
« Reply #11 on: Sep 01, 2004, 01:56:35 PM »
If you’re going to go with a Ford 9” look for a full floating rear and do disc brake conversion,  :yupyup:  If this rig is going to be your DD check out your local laws to see how much the tires can stick out past the body.

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 01, 2004, 02:46:14 PM »
why 9" over 60?
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA

Joe J [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep 01, 2004, 03:22:06 PM »
The rear would be a full-floater with disk brakes - that's a given.  I was also contemplating putting Warn Hubs back there but decided that would probably just be an unnecessary expense, as I haven't found many instances where I had a real need to disengage my rear axle.  I'm trying to sell my rear axle on e-bay but it doesn't look like it's going to sell, so I'll probably have to scrap this idea for a while (lack of excess $) but I kinda wanted opinions on this as I personally thought true high pinion 9"ers front & rear with all the goodies ie: 35 spline moly axles, Dana 60 CTMs and ARBs would probably be about as close to bullet proof and cost effective as one could get.  Seems most have the same opinion.  What do ya think Marlin - it was still in a dreaming stage the last time I was in your shop but they actually solved the problems (oiling & deflection support) and have a couple dozen nodular iron cases on hand with 4 different sets of Richmond gears ready to custom build any way your lil heart desires and have even sold a couple units.  Since the 9" is lighter, stronger, cheaper($) than a Dana 60 you should check into being the "sole" left coast distributor.   
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2004, 03:24:53 PM by Joe J »

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sep 01, 2004, 03:49:49 PM »
I am pretty happy with my 60, only got about a grand into it:

Chopped off the ends and put on 9" Big Bearing ends and bolted on disk brakes from a lincoln Mark V (with ebrake)
35 spline moser axle shafts
Strange Spool

narrowed to 62" wms to wms.
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA

Dark Chaos

• Marlin Crawler
  • I used to Crawl. I still do, but I used to, too.
« Reply #15 on: Sep 01, 2004, 06:23:40 PM »
I am pretty sure OX lockers make a locker for the 9". They do for the dana 60 I have a thing for cable activated lockers I wish some body would make one for Toyota's

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8452
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sep 01, 2004, 06:25:54 PM »
Someone posted up a Toyota electric locker converted to cable. Grimreaper maybe?
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sep 01, 2004, 09:41:52 PM »
pretty sure Marlin stocks that..
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA

cgbemis

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 560
  • Male Posts: 568
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Sep 01, 2004, 10:41:23 PM »
I bellieve it was Downey that had the cable conversion for the E-Lockers, but last I heard, people were having some problems with the cable conversion working fully. A 9" would be an awsome option for replacing the toy 8". Heck, it's what "Tiny" was running (sort of). A true 9" highpinion, would be great, because you could keep roughly the ground clearance of the toyota diff, but you could beef up the gears. The stock 9" still breaks, in the housing (right at one of the pinion bearings from what I've seen), but a custom highpinion is a cool idea.

lowgeared

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 556
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sep 02, 2004, 05:23:45 AM »
Personally I'd spring for a nodular center section and then you wouldn't have to worry about weakness.  I run a strange 31 spline steel spool in mine.  Forget the full floating axles-waste of money.  The big nine inch brakes will stop you on a dime.  Disc brakes are also a waste of money.  Invest in the center section and you'll have a bullet proof rear.  I've competed with mine and ran tons of hardcore stuff and no problems to date.
Friends help you move.  Real friends help you move bodies.