Author Topic: A case to crack  (Read 2754 times)

Gadzooks

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
A case to crack
« on: Nov 18, 2008, 07:18:11 AM »
91 pickup truck. Directly after my tranny is an adapter/connector that connects the tranny to the t-case. Whatever you want to call it, I managed to spin my disconnected front drive shaft hard enough to crack the connecting case. So right where my tranny meets this case, the adapter case is cracked and its leaking. Am I losing transmission gear oil? or transfer case gear oil? at this junction? additionally, what year connectors or adapters can I use as a suitable replacement for this section? 91 v6 5spd pick up here. If I take out my tcase can this adapter slide off? or do I have to take out my transmission?

so many questions.....I've also managed to strip the transmission hex bolt filler plug, which is just aweseme!!!

thanks in advance for you help.

83MT

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
Re: A case to crack
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2008, 07:34:14 AM »
Not positive what you're describing...directly after the transmission IS the transfercase. You spun your disconnected front driveshaft? What end was disconnected? The end that attaches to the front differential?

If you cracked what your transmission connects to, you either cracked your engine or your transfercase. Must give you the benefit of the doubt and say you know what the engine is, so you cracked your transfer case, and so you are losing t-case oil. Unless there's somehow something different with a V6 engine...A photo would help.

If you cracked your transfercase you can remove it without removing the transmission. You just place a jack under the transmission and lift it slightly, take off all the bolts that connect it to the t-case, remove rear driveshaft, take off the crossmember, drop t-case. Also some wires and (maybe?) the speedometer cable.

Just don't ever drain the tranny fluid until you get that fill plug figured out! A shop could get it off, but I know people here have methods for you, too.
Zach
I like Yotatech

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2008, 08:18:17 AM »
Sounds like you cracked the tail shaft housing, and you will have to remove your trans to replace it as it requires disassembley. You will need a housing for the same trans. Pic would be a big help.

Gadzooks [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2008, 08:28:39 AM »
Ok here is an example of what I mean. The circled section is where I cracked it. The transmission is fine, is the 2nd section that is cracked. My front driveshaft isn't long enough so it came apart under flex while stuck in a hole, I then spun the disconnected shaft swinging it into the transfer case section and cracking it.

Gadzooks [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2008, 08:30:21 AM »
bare in mind this isn't my drivetrain. So no adapters in there. But that 2nd section, Haynes refers to it as the transfer case adapter, is cracked right along the bolt line....

Gadzooks [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2008, 08:39:56 AM »
Here is a more accurate idea of what I'm dealing with. I've circled the spot and replicated the crack. This isn't my truck so that spacer isn't in between there, but this is the part I cracked. What am I leaking? and what year? model ? pick up/4runner version can I search out to replace it? again, do I need to remove the tranny? etc.....thanks

83MT

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2008, 08:46:16 AM »
Yeah yours is different than mine...on mine that part is still part of the transmission, not the transfercase.

Somebody...are the later-model shifters both on the t-case? On my transmission, the tranny shifter is on the tranny, t-case shifter is on the t-case. That photo just messes me up since it's different than mine, and it's missing a piece...it looks like the one in the photo doesn't even have the t-case on it? I'm not much help. You could always bring it to the shop and ask them what needs to be replaced, then just do it yourself. Somebody who knows more will jump in, though, I'm sure.

Seems to me you wouldn't necessarily have to remove the tranny to get it replaced...but you are basically taking the tranny apart, so...you may want to remove it.
Zach
I like Yotatech

Gadzooks [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2008, 08:53:39 AM »
The t-case is back there connected to that adapter. It's handy for me cause it it was all one piece I'd be searching for a new transmission. This way i only need to replace the middle piece. Still gotta get in there though and at least fill er up.  :confused:

83MT

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2008, 08:56:28 AM »
Yeah, I meant in that first photo, looks like no t-case attached. You can check the fluid level of both (if you can get the filler plug off!) and top off whichever is low (which may also tell you which is leaking). If you know it's the tranny and  you can't get the fill plug out and need to put fluid in, you can top it off through the shift-lever holes on top of the tranny.
Zach
I like Yotatech

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2008, 09:03:33 AM »
that part is part of the transmission, not the tcase
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Gadzooks [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2008, 09:09:15 AM »
that part is part of the transmission, not the tcase
ok so if its part of the tranny, do I need to remove the entire transmission to replace it?
Can someone explain how to top it off through the shift lever holes? Maybe I'll just jb weld it for now, so that it at least stops dripping out?
And anyone with knowledge on suitable models and year replacements would be awesome....

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2008, 09:13:41 AM »
whatever model transmission you have in the same generation l89-95 v6 with a 5 speed, i think that is a r150

yes the trasmission needs to come out

that is the whole back half of the tranny, it can be done, however, it sounds like it might be out of your scope
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2008, 09:16:33 AM »
After patching the crack you remove the fill plug that is circled in blue, remove the shifter & put oil in until the oil comes out of the hole.

Here's a link for the different years.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/faq/parts/
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2008, 09:16:46 AM »
Like I said tail shaft housing, trans needs to come out and be disassembled to replace. May be able to have your housing repaired/welded.