Author Topic: MCR7 or Bust - Questions from a Rubicon Noobie  (Read 3940 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
MCR7 or Bust - Questions from a Rubicon Noobie
« on: Jul 28, 2008, 06:46:08 PM »
Now that I'm committed to attending MCR7 I am starting to plan for the trip.  Here are my immediate questions:

(1) I have read about two ways into the con from the west end, Wentworth Springs and Loon Lake.  It seems that Loon Lake is the most common route so what is missed by not doing the Wentworth Springs portion of the trail?

(2) Is the MCR 7 gathering/camping at Rubicon Springs near the bridge?

(3) What time frame could I estimate from Loon Lake to the MCR7 gathering?  How far is beyond that to the end of the trail?

(4) Are there any portions of the trip that are "smooth" road or is the entire thing a bumpy slow trip?

Since I won't be making the trip often I want to make sure I see everything while I'm there.  I'm sure I will have more questions as time goes on, but that about it for now.

:greengrin:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

slabcs

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 329
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: MCR7 or Bust - Questions from a Rubicon Noobie
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28, 2008, 07:00:31 PM »
1.  I've never gone in through Wentworth entrance.
2.  It sure is.
3.  Tough question to answer as there will definitely be traffic, and different people break different stuff every time.  Breakage can cause some serious delays on the trail.  With a good pace, I'd say 5 hours to the Springs from Loon.  I usually break it up though and take my time to get there.  After Rubicon Springs, Cadillac Hill is the only thing left until you're out, then it's a pretty long, dusty, rough road until you get back to civilization.  I'd say roughly an hour and a half.
4.  The only part where it really smooths out is right before you get to Rubicon Springs, but it's best to still take it slow to keep dust down, and simply out of respect for the trail and others.

It's an awesome trail, and as much as you try to plan your weekend out, unexpected stuff will always seem to happen.
Relentless

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 28, 2008, 07:10:27 PM »
:eye: :eye:

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 28, 2008, 07:45:52 PM »
It's an awesome trail, and as much as you try to plan your weekend out, unexpected stuff will always seem to happen.

I understand completely on this one, but I need to know what should be possible so I know what to shoot for.  I'll probably arrive on Friday mid day and need to head home on Sunday afternoon.  It's going to be a marathon trip (800+ miles each way).
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 28, 2008, 08:13:43 PM »
I understand completely on this one, but I need to know what should be possible so I know what to shoot for.  I'll probably arrive on Friday mid day and need to head home on Sunday afternoon.  It's going to be a marathon trip (800+ miles each way).

if you want to head out the cadillac way, and are going to be kinda in a hurry, getting up early is the key. :thumbs:  If you get up and get rolling, you'll miss most of the traffic on the trail easily. I'd say shoot for leaving camp around 6-7, you'll be out and on the road by 10  :thumbs:  leave around 9, and you'll hit the road later in the afternoon.

I've gone in Loon, and out wentworth, and you won't miss much of the trail.  There's some good spots, but nothing major, that you'll really miss out on.  :thumbs:

As far as smoothness, there's short sections that are simple to navigate, and fairly easy, but for the most part its slow going the whole way.  By no means are we talking crawling speed the entire way though. 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 28, 2008, 08:16:07 PM »
I was thinking about Loon to Rubicon Springs on Friday, go see the Cadillac Hill end of the trail on Saturday and then head back out towards Loon on Sunday.

:dunno:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 28, 2008, 08:23:18 PM »
I was thinking about Loon to Rubicon Springs on Friday, go see the Cadillac Hill end of the trail on Saturday and then head back out towards Loon on Sunday.

:dunno:

Sounds like a good plan :yesnod:  Might be some traffic coming down cadillac (kinda a one way road :hahaha:  ) but you never know.  :gap: 

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 28, 2008, 08:57:25 PM »
Are you driving your rig there or is it going to be on a trailer. Also which way are you coming in from WA, I-5 or 395?
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 28, 2008, 09:09:02 PM »
Are you driving your rig there or is it going to be on a trailer. Also which way are you coming in from WA, I-5 or 395?

I'm basically coming from Seattle so I-5 should be the best for me.  I'll be driving the 4Runner, but in April I drove it 1,100 miles one way to Moab and wheeled for a week so it's up for the trip.  I just cruise between 65 and 70 mph.

Tallchevy

• Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 28, 2008, 09:21:47 PM »
You might consider going in through Cadillac & coming out Loon. You will be closer to I-5 by an hour or more coming out through Loon. You will also not have to deal with the 1 lane traffic leaving Tahoe on a Sunday.

But then again there will be traffic no matter what direction you come out.
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
(5) Is the majority of the traffic issues on the con the result of too many rigs or people breaking down?  It seems like a lot of people make reference to people breaking.  I realize that anyone can break, but after four or five trips in Moab with no breakage that stopped me (the trip in April had several odd things happen ranging from oil pump leaks to a twin stick breaking) but I just don't see that many rig broken in Moab.  I do avoid the safari so maybe that becomes more of a problem.  Are there just a ton of suspect rigs on the trail?

(6) How much are the CB's used during the event?  I'm on the fence for getting one installed since I can't figure out exactly what I want and I am nearly always the only person to have one working when it was installed.  I hate to waste the money for a single trip.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
(5) Is the majority of the traffic issues on the con the result of too many rigs or people breaking down?  It seems like a lot of people make reference to people breaking.  I realize that anyone can break, but after four or five trips in Moab with no breakage that stopped me (the trip in April had several odd things happen ranging from oil pump leaks to a twin stick breaking) but I just don't see that many rig broken in Moab.  I do avoid the safari so maybe that becomes more of a problem.  Are there just a ton of suspect rigs on the trail?

(6) How much are the CB's used during the event?  I'm on the fence for getting one installed since I can't figure out exactly what I want and I am nearly always the only person to have one working when it was installed.  I hate to waste the money for a single trip.

:dunno:  kinda both, but I'd say its just the sheer # of people out on the 'con.  Lots of people getting in some last wheeling before winter, the roundup, and just the regular people who are out there a lot.  :yesnod:  In most places, the broken rigs are able to be moved off the trail, but sometimes that can take a while.

As for the CB's, I'm going to try to get one in my truck for this year, I haven't had one when I ran the trail, its no big deal to have one.  They're preferred, but usually someone in your crew or close to your crew will have one.  Anything important will get relayed to you. 

-Ronald Reagan

Tallchevy

• Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile

Actually, the traffic I was refering to is the tourist traffic leaving the Lake Tahoe area & heading down 50 toward Sacramento. I have been in that bumper to bumper traffic  :thumbdown:

It's nice to have one for the trail or for a traffic reports from truck drivers.

I found this in the Seattle craigslist. No installing an antenna or running extra wires  :thumbs: Then you can decide if you like it or not.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/ele/770749247.html

87 4Runner redo

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
I have a CB radio that I can install and I have been looking at that type of design or the small handheld cobra unit.  I've never had good luck without an external antenna so we'll see what happens.  Thanks for looking.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
(7) What's the real story with Little Sluice?  What are the odds of a full bodies rig getting through without body damage?  At this point I'm not planning to risk it considering I have to drove 800 miles home in my daily driver, but I've done the majority of the "non-extreme" trails in Moab without problems.  I always make my own judgment when I see something and how the other rigs are doing.

I might be more willing to play more aggressively if I had my trusty-rusty spotter along.  My Moab buddy and I drive enough alike it's like spotting for ourselves.  Just can't beat a good spotter that knows what you're thinking.  Our families have been friends for three generations so we've been wheeling together since we were born.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
(7) What's the real story with Little Sluice?  What are the odds of a full bodies rig getting through without body damage?  At this point I'm not planning to risk it considering I have to drove 800 miles home in my daily driver, but I've done the majority of the "non-extreme" trails in Moab without problems.  I always make my own judgment when I see something and how the other rigs are doing.

I might be more willing to play more aggressively if I had my trusty-rusty spotter along.  My Moab buddy and I drive enough alike it's like spotting for ourselves.  Just can't beat a good spotter that knows what you're thinking.  Our families have been friends for three generations so we've been wheeling together since we were born.

Next to nothing.  Do some searches for it on you tube, you'll see what the wheeling is like.

-Ronald Reagan

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Next to nothing.  Do some searches for it on you tube, you'll see what the wheeling is like.

I've  watched a ton of video, but know from my experience that videos generally makes things look easier than they really are and often there are not videos posted of the rigs that made it though without excitment.

(8 ) What is the normal weather like for the roundup?

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
(8 ) What is the normal weather like for the roundup?
Nice during the day, freezing after sunset, close to zero while you're sleeping.

Try little sluice, expect damage. I've seen it done by a jeep on 33's with no damage, but he was a hell of a driver.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
(9) Is there drinking water available at the springs?  Is there any moving water that I could use to filter?

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
(9) Is there drinking water available at the springs?  Is there any moving water that I could use to filter?

:dunno:  I've always hauled mine. You could filter from the river.  :thumbs: but I believe you only get near that at the springs, and one water crossing. 

-Ronald Reagan

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile

Looking at the stage there is a mineral spring if you walk to the left and as you are walking it will be to your right side. It has a sign on a tree that you cant miss. Im sure that would be great to get filterd/drink right out. It comes right out of the ground right there

:thumbs:
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
:dunno:  I've always hauled mine. You could filter from the river.  :thumbs: but I believe you only get near that at the springs, and one water crossing. 

I don't mind bringing some water, but if there is a river near the springs I'll probably plan to filter any larger quantities we might want for cooking type projects.  I'm really trying to keep the weight down in the 4Runner.

Monster Yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 227
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Under my Welding Hood
    • View Profile
Might be a good idea to bring some mosquito repellent!!!   :thumbs:   Sometimes there really bad up there and at other times there not very noticeable...  See you guys soon!!!  :wave: 
MARLIN 4 PRESIDENT!