Author Topic: what lift is best for 85 4runner with solid front axle up to five inches?  (Read 3992 times)

reinstein7

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
hey there yoda fans....  i just bought me my first toyota 4 runner with solid front axle and efi for a mere hk pistol and 150 bucks, so im happy, but there is lots of work to do... any tips will be researched and applied
so let er rip boys

reinstei7  :usa:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
first off, :welcome:

As for your question, if you've got the $$

http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/suspension/lift_kit.htm

if not, you can do a combination of your rear springs up front, and run some 57" F150 springs, or 63" chevy springs out back.  You'll have to move your hangers, but that isn't too hard, if you can weld. 

BTW:  theres a search button that will give you some good answers.  :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
5 inches of lift should yield enough room for 37+ inch tires......are you running larger than 37 inch tires?
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

DanS

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 434
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
5 inches of lift should yield enough room for 37+ inch tires......are you running larger than 37 inch tires?
X2, solid axle with 5" of lift SSSSSSSSHHWWeeeeet
Wow, been looking at my 4Runner rust away too long, need some inspiration and here I will find it...!

85 Toyota 4Runner, solid axle, 22Re, original paint and graphics and not a straight panel to be found!

Krawlinkremer

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Male Posts: 10
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
I've got the 6'' Marlin :best: kit on my 84 runner, and it BAD ASS :best:

toy4crawlin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 291
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Ultimate Marlin #276
    • View Profile
 Don't go the el chepo route on leafs,  you will regret it if you want performance.

Been running Marlin 5" in rear-love them, also with dual shackle and johny joint
front are custom Alcans with orbitals
Front Bilsteins 15" and RS9000 rear
With this susp and heavy 36" SSR , steel beadlocks the  body can roll a lot but it's a sweet ride,  been known to Drift on turns under acceleration ! :yikes:
1" body lift

4Sale stuff,  350 trannies, Dual shackles,  J steering arms etc. Auto meter gauge pods.
85 4Runner,Marlin #276, 4.7 case, Detroit 488's, 36 Beadlocks
92 4 Rnr
----Ride Santa Cruz
----Street Luge

RCKSQRL

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 588
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Viva La Yota!
    • View Profile
Ok, my opinion so here goes

5" is WAY TOO much lift for a runner.
I have Marlins 4" springs, lower 2 leaves removed and running 37's. Stuffs great. With the 4" springs, 63's in the rear with blocks it was just to top heavy so I had to lower it a couple of inches. If you move the front spring hanger forward and "massage" the inner fender with a sledge, it will fit just fine! my .02 on the matter!

doesn't hit the fender, rubs on the shock hoop and the battery box. (I have a widening kit on it as well)
'85 EFI Runner
4.3 with 700R4- for sale
5.29 detroit F/R
Front 3 Link with air shocks
rear 4 Link
Custom Fuel cell
Crawler #719, rear with 4.70 # 677,
Twin stick
Skys manufacturing T-case crossmember

6 point cage modified with harness bar, dash bar and PRP seats mounted to cage
2 feet chopped off the back

It seems it is never done........

in works for new body and exo, motor and trans swap...

madhunt

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 52
  • Male Posts: 490
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
85 RUNNER 4" SPRINGS ON THE FRONT AND 5" IN BACK LOVE IT, JUST REMEMBER TO ADD SOMETHING TO THE REAR SO IT WILL SIT LEVEL, GO WITH TALL SPRING OR LONGER SHACKLE.
HIGH AND TIGHT OFFROAD

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
85 RUNNER 4" SPRINGS ON THE FRONT AND 5" IN BACK LOVE IT, JUST REMEMBER TO ADD SOMETHING TO THE REAR SO IT WILL SIT LEVEL, GO WITH TALL SPRING OR LONGER SHACKLE.

RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

madhunt

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 52
  • Male Posts: 490
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
HIGH AND TIGHT OFFROAD

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
As for your question, if you've got the $$

http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/suspension/lift_kit.htm

I had to chuckle to myself when I read this because I considered the Marlin Crawler springs to be the "inexpensive" (not cheap) option and chose to spend the coin on custom Alcan springs.  I love my springs!
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
I never thought of it that way, but that makes sense.  Alcan and Deaver seem to have really good products, but neither are a cheap option.  When marlin sold the import springs they had issues with them flattening out, but otherwise I've never heard anything negative about their springs.  General concensus is that they flex extremely well.

:spit:  my new favorite pic  :haha:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!