Author Topic: I just scored a FJ80 front axle.....  (Read 3675 times)

JamesD

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I just scored a FJ80 front axle.....
« on: May 11, 2008, 08:43:24 PM »
Ok, I was at my local u-pull-it yard getting parts for one of my cars and head down to the import section and low and behold there sits an FJ80. I quickly snagged the front axle assembly. I did not take the rear axle but I'm wondering if I should. I know they are offset axles and they are 9.5" axles but do you think it would be worth grabbing?

Now I searched about the front FJ80 axle and found some interesting info(thank Marlin and Pirate!). Now I have been looking for a high pinion 3rd for years, and my plans were to only use the 3rd member but should I use anything else off the axle? I know I cannot use the spindles and birfs but should I use the calipers? My plan was to use the 3rd and get some Bobby Longs and be done with it. Also I was planning on using a lunchbox in the front with the 3rd but not sure if they make one or if they are the same and the low pinion. What is the axle worth without the 3rd member?

Thanks, James
Sharon-It is odd how society sees things. Let's say a guy sleeps with all these girls, "he's the man!" or a stud but if a girl does, she's a total very *friendly* person or sleeper. Is society sexist?
Brandon-Well think about it this way. If a key can open a bunch of locks, it is viewed as a master key and is awesome to have but if a lock is opened by a lot of different keys, well thats a pretty shitty lock if you ask me.

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Online The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Re: I just scored a FJ80 front axle.....
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 09:26:12 PM »
The only locker I would run in a front end is a selectable locker. ARB is my perferred one.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 09:45:17 PM »
im poor and turning is overrated, so I rock a lincoln locker up front

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 05:52:18 AM »
Might that rear have the locker? It is worth checking into for shure! The rear axles in the fj80s are bigger and possibly stronger than the toyota 8" rear. It might be worth grabbing just to have the matching set if the price is right.

I ran a lockright front for years and just last week I upgraded to a detroit, after breaking the centerpin in the carrier. They are worth the $money spent in my opinion, but if I had it to do over again I would have upgraded to the detroit sooner. If I'm not mistaken your gonna want a lunchbox locker for a v6 3rd.
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

JamesD [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 06:37:06 AM »
The rear does not have an elocker, I checked. I'm not sure of the year either. I will check.

James
Sharon-It is odd how society sees things. Let's say a guy sleeps with all these girls, "he's the man!" or a stud but if a girl does, she's a total very *friendly* person or sleeper. Is society sexist?
Brandon-Well think about it this way. If a key can open a bunch of locks, it is viewed as a master key and is awesome to have but if a lock is opened by a lot of different keys, well thats a pretty shitty lock if you ask me.

JamesD [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 01:14:12 PM »
I went back to the yard today, it is a 91 with an axle code of K292.

James

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 07:56:03 PM »
91's were not available with diff locks
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

JamesD [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 04:38:27 PM »
What year did they start diff locks? I know the Taco's started in 96 or 97.

James

JamesD [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 07:03:31 PM »
Well I probably will part it out since I only need the 3rd member.

James

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 08:02:07 PM »
How much??
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

JamesD [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 08:13:05 PM »
I honestly do not know. The only thing I want off of it is the steering rods and 3rd member. Just a reminder, I live in NY not the west coast. PM me.

James

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 08:18:01 PM »
What year did they start diff locks? I know the Taco's started in 96 or 97.

James

First year for Diff locks was 93 FZJ80
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

JamesD [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 07:55:21 AM »
I think I'm going to part out the axle. All I need is the 3rd and the steering rods.

James

JamesD [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 10:25:19 AM »
Ok I posted in the classifieds. I'm parting out the axle minus the 3rd and the steering rods.

James