Author Topic: School me on ARB's  (Read 2798 times)

howdy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '03
  • I Love My Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
School me on ARB's
« on: Apr 27, 2008, 08:05:34 PM »
I have never had ARB's before. I am much more familiar with Detroits. I now have ARB's front and rear on a 91 4runner I just did an SAS on and have a few questions about their operation.

1. Do they unlock right away or do you have to drive a few feet to get them to unlock? I lock my rear in and drive a few feet and start to turn left in a circle. I can tell the rear is locked. While still turning I unlock it, but it continues to stay locked. I start driving straight and it still stays locked. As soon as I turn a bit to the right it will unlock. Is that normal operation? Do they need to unload a bit before they unlock?

2. As for the front I think I have a problem somewhere. I lock it in and as soon as I start driving I can't turn the wheel to the left. In fact as hard as I can, I try and hold the wheel straight, but it will force it right out of my hands hard to the right. I have to stop as the wheel is cranked all the way to the right and there is no way 3 guys are going to get it to go back to the left. What is up with that? ARB problem or a problem somewhere else?

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Re: School me on ARB's
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27, 2008, 08:41:44 PM »
First, yes they will stay locked if under load or bind from a turn. As soon as the bind goes away they will unlock. You can work the wheel back and forth to aid in them unlocking.

As for your front, make sure you are getting power to both sides (hubs locked and driving both wheels). Then make sure the gear ratios are the same in front and back. Sounds like you are only getting power to one side and the ratios are off causing a pull in the wheel.

You could also pull the rear drive shaft and run it on the front to see if the pull continues. If it goes away there is a mismatch in the ratios, if it still pulls there is somthing wrong in the front axle.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

howdy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 27, 2008, 09:22:16 PM »
First, yes they will stay locked if under load or bind from a turn. As soon as the bind goes away they will unlock. You can work the wheel back and forth to aid in them unlocking.

As for your front, make sure you are getting power to both sides (hubs locked and driving both wheels). Then make sure the gear ratios are the same in front and back. Sounds like you are only getting power to one side and the ratios are off causing a pull in the wheel.

You could also pull the rear drive shaft and run it on the front to see if the pull continues. If it goes away there is a mismatch in the ratios, if it still pulls there is somthing wrong in the front axle.

After driving on the street I put the front on jackstands, made sure the hubs were locked  and sun the wheels. One spun forward while one spun backwards like it should do without the ARB on. When I put on the ARB they both spun the same direction like it should do with the ARB engaged. When driving in 4wd without the ARB engaged  it drove fine. I assume it wouldn't drive so well at that point if I had different ratios.

hollywood_toy90

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 79
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 29, 2008, 11:51:33 AM »
when i unlock mine i usually just come to a complete stop and unlock them.  i have never had a problem with them not unlocking.  if you are going straight and none of the tires are spinning then you can unlock it too.  even at speeds.  i have never done this and dont ever plan on trying this, but supposedly you can. 

as for the front i dont know whats up with that.  sounds very weird.  it definitely makes it harder to turn and wont turn as for but it have never not let me turn a direction and pull me in the opposite. 

good luck man!

crawler925

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 165
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 12:43:34 PM »
when my front arb is locked and then I unlock it hard to steer just for a bit. I usually just stop for a sec and it unlocks, then steering is fine.
5" sas with rear 5" coil to leaf conversion , ARB front bumper, 8000 warn winch , front and rear ARB air lockers, 5.29 gears, 36/12.5/15 swamper sx on 15x8 2in back space rockcrawlers, Bilstein 5150 14" Shocks, Bilstein steering stabilizer, cobra CB, onboard air compressor w/7 gallon tank, con-ferr roof rack,

crawler925

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 165
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 12:52:26 PM »
question #2 is strange.  Does it pull only when the arb is locked?  Have you checked alignment? Brake locking up
5" sas with rear 5" coil to leaf conversion , ARB front bumper, 8000 warn winch , front and rear ARB air lockers, 5.29 gears, 36/12.5/15 swamper sx on 15x8 2in back space rockcrawlers, Bilstein 5150 14" Shocks, Bilstein steering stabilizer, cobra CB, onboard air compressor w/7 gallon tank, con-ferr roof rack,

howdy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 10:06:04 PM »
It turns out I didn't pay attention when I hooked up the tie rod and drag link on the passenger side arm. I had them in the wrong holes.  ::)

Once I got them in the right holes and re did the alignment everything was good. It also explained why one tire was always turing more than the other one and screeching while turning and going around corners.  :greengrin: