Author Topic: Exhaust routing  (Read 2177 times)

DieselD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 409
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
Exhaust routing
« on: Apr 08, 2008, 08:22:58 AM »
So after a handful of times in the rocks I finally have destroyed my exhuast. I knew it was going to happen due to how low it was hanging so it was to be expected. This past weekend I smashed the cat and bend the muffler into the driveshaft. I was running a flowmaster bolted up right behind the cat and dumped before the  axle.

I need some ideas on where to route this thing to keep it out of the rocks. I would like it short and sweet, I really dont need a tailpipe except for when I got in for smog once every 2 years. Ill probably just rig something up then. otherwise its just going to get smashed. I might end up just replacing the whole setup including header, whos makes a decent one thats not a fortune? I was shorta happy with the 3chamber flow I had but it had some nasty drone which is to be expected with flowmasters. thats what I had and it ended up on the truck to get in the dirt asap. Its pretty much screwed with the inlet bent about 45* from climbing a waterfall and riding on the exhuast the entire way.

So short story I need opinions on decent header, cat and muffler, short and sweet rock crawling exhaust..... :thumbs:

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Re: Exhaust routing
« Reply #1 on: Apr 08, 2008, 08:44:53 AM »
What kind of truck? engine?
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

DieselD [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 08, 2008, 09:15:24 AM »
yeah that would help....whoops...

86 extra cab. 22re, no bed, moved the rear axle forward 3inches and shorted the rear section of the frame. F150 fuel tank aft axle. built rear floor to hold toolbox and ammo cans.  here is the best picture I have here at work of the current setup before being smashed. I can get others.

the current setup hangs a little below the frame and thats being the downfall it seems. Im laying the frame out on the rocks thus anything below is getting beat.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 08, 2008, 09:27:00 AM »
Here is my set up....Downey header straight back to a Flowmaster Hushpower with 2 1/4 inch tube. I sourced the downey USEd locally. EBAY is THE place to buy new, single exhaust components i.e. cat and exhaust. The prices on ebay were way way cheaper than anything else I saw..

RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2008, 10:35:51 AM »
My exhaust runs from a thorley header straight back to a flowy rip off that sits drirectly under the end of the cab.  It goes up from there and over the frame out above the slider in front of the rear tire.  I love it now, its out of the way and not too loud.

Here's the new exhaust I just did last weekend.  I ran it basically like this for about the last 6 months with no issue, I just updated all the parts to mandrel bend from speedway motors this time.

This is the old exhaust but it shows the exit.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

88_Pathy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 65
  • Male Posts: 1,251
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Raised suspension
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 08, 2008, 10:58:41 AM »
I would say the only way to keep it off of the rocks is to have it routed over or through the horse collar.

85-4roller

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -92
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Save our forest from the sierra club
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 08, 2008, 06:05:28 PM »
If you need a really small muff, look at a Thrush #17702,.  You need a cat, or it will be too loud. Available @ Kragen / Checker (lifetime warranty). 
Save our forest from the sierra club, they are the enemy of outdoor enthusiast everywhere.

REG535

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -287
  • Male Posts: 1,083
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Shes traveling to many celestial worlds
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #7 on: Apr 08, 2008, 07:05:14 PM »
hell with a cat, just a muffler or glassplack, cats suck  :gap:
85 Marble' Black and White (x-cab)
84 RedTurtle' Red with White Top added Marlin Turtle Shift Knob (All Stock) :silly:

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 08, 2008, 07:12:22 PM »
run a pipe out the hood... then it wont drag
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 08, 2008, 07:20:06 PM »
I was thinking run tubing from header to a 90* up thru the bed and putting a muffler and/or cat up on top, that way only pipe can get mangled, and the $$ stuff is up on the flatbed. So kind of like a stack with the muffler and cat on the stack and not under the truck.

DieselD [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 09, 2008, 08:15:42 AM »
If you need a really small muff, look at a Thrush #17702,.  You need a cat, or it will be too loud. Available @ Kragen / Checker (lifetime warranty). 

Thanks Ill look into that. As we all know there is not alot of room under there. the smaller the better. my damn flow is huge.

hell with a cat, just a muffler or glassplack, cats suck

want to keep it smogged. alot of roads to trails here in az require tags.  no cat will be loud anyway

run a pipe out the hood... then it wont drag

ZOOMIES!