Author Topic: 83' front axle install question  (Read 2913 times)

David

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 218
  • Male Posts: 263
  • Member since Jan '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
83' front axle install question
« on: Mar 17, 2008, 10:10:31 AM »
I'm doing a rebuild on the front end of my 83' 1/2 ton. It was tough getting the axles out of the housing. Placed the 'flat' on the birfields in the up position, worked for a while and got them out. Now trying to put them back is even more of a chore.
Placing the 'flat' on top and sliding them in, I can feel the spline engage the diff but it stops short of going all the way in the housing. The birfield is at the far outside edge of the housing (where the spindel bolts on) and won't go any further in.
I could sure use some advice or secret trick to make this a tad less stressful.  :hammerhead: Thank you.

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
Re: 83' front axle install question
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2008, 10:16:38 AM »
...or secret trick
Turn the pinion at the same time you are pushing in the axle. Works perfect.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2008, 10:16:49 AM »
sounds like you are doing it correctly....the pinion usually has to be turned by hand (a helper may be handy) to get the splines to fully engage...

hopefully your housing isnt bent....thats what it sounds like to me if you had a hard time pulling them out
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2008, 10:17:16 AM »
sounds like you are doing it correctly....the pinion usually has to be turned by hand (a helper may be handy) to get the splines to fully engage...

hopefully your housing isnt bent....thats what it sounds like to me if you had a hard time pulling them out
Beat ya! :greengrin:

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2008, 10:18:19 AM »
Damn it  :tantrum: always one step ahead of me....11 seconds too late
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

David [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2008, 10:25:09 AM »
By hard I mean: the drivers side was, I had to move the axle back and forth some, jiggle, wiggle up and down and finally it released it grip on life and came out. All this was done without moving or turning the pinion.
Are there measurements I can take to determine if indeed it is bent or is this a shop thing? .
I'll try moving the pinion going back in and hopefully it will go back easier. Thanks for the advice on that.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2008, 10:26:37 AM »
By hard I mean: the drivers side was, I had to move the axle back and forth some, jiggle, wiggle up and down and finally it released it grip on life and came out. All this was done without moving or turning the pinion.

OK that sounds normal then.......the splines are sometimes held in a bit by suction from grease or oil...normal
RIP KYOTA

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2008, 05:08:42 PM »
Are there measurements I can take to determine if indeed it is bent or is this a shop thing? .
I'll try moving the pinion going back in and hopefully it will go back easier. Thanks for the advice on that.
if you can get the birf into the housing completely  then its not bent  too bad  ,  if  it wont go in  then  its bent

sounds  like im being a :moon:  but thats  really  how its measured
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

David [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2008, 06:17:27 PM »
"sounds  like im being a   but thats  really  how its measured"
I don't think that at all, I really appriciate all the help.

Well the axles are in and the hubs are installed. Turns out that rotating the pinion was the key, they slid right in with very little effort. :beerchug: It's Corona time!!
Installed a new Marlin tie rod and ends. What a difference in size and quality, thank you Marlin!
This is a great forum, very good info and friendly, helpful people. This old scout thanks you one and all.  :biggthumpup: :biggthumpup:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2008, 06:27:08 PM »
:thumbs:

:welcome: to Marlin,  where ya from ???
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

David [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 17, 2008, 07:16:18 PM »
N.Calif in the coastal mountain range.