Author Topic: Rear Driveshaft Help  (Read 1125 times)

MEK

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 17
  • Male Posts: 19
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I Love My Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
Rear Driveshaft Help
« on: Feb 26, 2008, 08:40:53 AM »
I bought and installed a Marlin Crawler adapter, I'm making my rear driveshaft out of an IFS front shaft.   I run a standard chevy spring swap in the rear.  How much should the driveshaft be open from full compression at rest?  I phoned Marlin's shop and the guy on the phone went and asked someone for advice and told me I needed 2.5- 3 inches of slip.  I tried explaining what I meant and he suggested a long slip driveshaft kit, pretty sure he didn't understand.  I'm sure the amount of slip I have is fine, I just need to know the amount it should be open at rest so if it does somehow compress during travel it doesn't punch out my transfer case.  Hoping to get a measurement for the machine shop today.  Anybody? 1" 2"?

So the question again is : How much is the rear driveshaft open from full compression on a stock toyota truck?
90 Toy extra cab, 2wd, soon to have two t cases and 35's.

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
Re: Rear Driveshaft Help
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2008, 08:46:52 AM »
all depends on your wheelbase.  did you move the rear axle back, or just mound the 63's in the same spot?  but your dual tcase puches it back again.  i would measure from the flange on the tcase to the flange on the 3rd member and give the machine shop the measurement and your driveline and they'll know how much it needs to be shortened or made longer.
ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2008, 08:49:35 AM »
1.5-2 inches and you will be fine. You should clearance the CV for more angle. Use the slip joint off the IFS d-shaft, it has more angle then the stock rear one.

Here is how to clearance the CV. I have done this to a number of CV's and the one I have in my truck I am getting about 41 degrees.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/cvmod/
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

MEK [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 17
  • Male Posts: 19
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I Love My Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2008, 09:01:05 AM »
Thank you gentlemen, I am running in the stock location on a 90 extended cab so I didn't think I would need to clearance the CV, I'm sure I will if I shorten the wheelbase though.   Thankyou for the replies, guess I'm off to the machine shop now.  BTW the machine shop would not give a number in case they were wrong, liability I guess.  And OOPS thanks for all the posts over the years.

Mike.
90 Toy extra cab, 2wd, soon to have two t cases and 35's.