Author Topic: few sas questions  (Read 1517 times)

toeyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
few sas questions
« on: Jan 17, 2008, 03:13:56 PM »
Ok im debating on sasing my 92 single cab. Few questions. I have some 7 inch skyjacker springs laying around, with they work with the marlin hanger and shakle kit??

The other thing is, will my stock steering box work with the hysteer kit where it is mounted right now, or do you guys have to move it during the sas? 

Im really undecided if i want to sas the truck or not, im hopeing someone will talk me into it ::). Right now i have an 82 model but its just almost to far to be gone in my eyes, everytime i sink money into it, its still just an old noisy rusted up truck. Im ready for somthing alot nicer, but will still go the same places as the 1st gen. thanks.,

twistedtoy92

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
Re: few sas questions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2008, 03:28:40 PM »
DUDE, you NEED to SAS it!!! i have a 92 single cab and i exceed the limits of its not so great IFS..... i'd sell those skyjackers and get marlins 5 incher
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

toeyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2008, 04:00:21 PM »
yea ill probably go with the marlins. what about the steering box, will i be able to leave it alone?

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2008, 05:15:39 PM »
the steering box is fine where it is
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

AaronB

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 287
  • Male Posts: 2,452
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2008, 05:18:42 PM »
the steering box is fine where it is

but its good to move it forward and brace it better.
"Never make your passion your occupation. it will loose it's luster and become work. that's why i never wanted to become a gynecologist!"

I also taught him how to put in 5min of hard work and then spend 15min staring and admiring what you have done...

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2008, 05:19:45 PM »

somthing i should proble do sone
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2008, 06:42:19 PM »
I have ran my SAS'ed Toyota with the steering box in the stock location for ten years without a problem until I put a set of Marlins springs on a couple of years ago. The draglink ended up a bit behind the tie-rod and on full stuff on the driver’s side, they would hit. I did not have this problem with the All-Pro or Alcan springs I ran in the past. I moved the axle back one inch, all was well with the DL, and TR but I picked up a nasty death wobble because it changed the caster angle. However, that was just part of the problem I also found that the shackles kept coming loose and the bushings were wearing out prematurely. Upon tearing, it down I also found that the frame was cracked in three spots, and the spring hanger was bent back and up about a quarter of an inch and had a crack in it also, and a broken main leaf on the DS spring.

Well I have fixed the frame, replaced the spring hanger (what a bummer to remove the old one). I installed new springs from Marlin and the axle will be move back to the original place. As far as moving the steering box, I got rid of it and I am going full hydro.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2008, 06:54:44 PM »

X2. It all depends where you locate the spring hanger. I think most of us here will tell you, the SAS is well worth it if you can afford to do it. If you move the spring hanger too far foreward you will need to move the PS box. Also like Aaron said bracing it is important too. Marlin sells a cheap little kit that makes mounting it real simple and strengthens it a lot. all you have to do is figure out where your spring hanger will be, then hook up the high steer and cycle your suspension and see if the tie rods hit. leaving the steering box as one of the last parts of the SAS is a good idea because it will allow you to see just where you need to place your box.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

toeyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2008, 02:28:14 PM »
ok then thanks for the info. Ive been reading and searching and it seems pretty simple. I mean pretty much you just put the spring hanger flush with the factory crossmember across the front, center it, and weld it up after a good test fit.

And as far as the shackles, with the jigs that seems pretty much common sense. If im wrong about that now someone correct me. Ill start a build thread so you guys that want to, can help me out along the way. Itll be a week or so untill i can get some parts ordered though. Thanks again.

Another thing... i dont want my front tires under my front bumper. Is there any way to mount the front spring hanger where i can keep the front tires as close to the center of the fenderwell as possible? How about a few pics from some of your rigs of the front tire placement in the fender well. thanks.
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2008, 07:51:48 AM by toeyota »