Author Topic: Advice for first timer?  (Read 5440 times)

BikerTrash

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 207
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
Advice for first timer?
« on: Oct 29, 2007, 09:11:38 PM »
I am looking to buy a 96 crew cap F250 with the 7.3 automatic transmission and was wondering if it would be able to pull my  my truck (84 4runner) and possibly one other truck (either a 86 pickup, or a fj40 depending on which friend tags along on which trip).  I am planning on going with a goose neck trailer since  I am more used to that and like how they handle compared to a bumper pull trailer.

I have pulled long trailers before while working for my grandfather (in the 40 foot range with about 12000 pounds on it) but never long distances, only maybe 30 miles round trip and that was with a 1 ton. I just don't want to buy the F-250 and then first time I hook up to somehtign find out I should have bought a 1 ton or a Manual.

I could probably get the old farm truck and use it as a tow vehicle, but I don't think I want to be driving cross country in an 83 C30 Single cab Flatbed dually, keeping a 454 full of fuel.
There is a fine line between clever and stupid, I just wish I knew when I crossed it.

84 4runner
02 Suzuki V-Strom
95 Honda 1100C1
06 Ram 2500 4x4
(please note, listed in order of preference)

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for first timer?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2007, 09:18:27 PM »
I towed a 25 foot gooseneck with 2 trucks on it 3 times with my 99 F-250 auto.  1 time was down to LA from Sac (800 miles? roundtrip) aboit 13,000 pounds total trailor weight.  That is the max for that truck to tow too.  something is wrong with the rear axle now, might have burned up the posi or what ever is in the back of it.  and it didn't tow it that good stock.  After i put a chip in it it towed a lot better.  but it is hard on the rear axle.  And that tranny might not like it for too long either.  i won't be towing that trailor anymore.  I wouldn't do it with that truck.

BikerTrash [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2007, 07:27:57 AM »
I towed a 25 foot gooseneck with 2 trucks on it 3 times with my 99 F-250 auto.  1 time was down to LA from Sac (800 miles? roundtrip) aboit 13,000 pounds total trailor weight.  That is the max for that truck to tow too.  something is wrong with the rear axle now, might have burned up the posi or what ever is in the back of it.  and it didn't tow it that good stock.  After i put a chip in it it towed a lot better.  but it is hard on the rear axle.  And that tranny might not like it for too long either.  i won't be towing that trailor anymore.  I wouldn't do it with that truck.
Ok, Guess. I will keep shopping.
There is a fine line between clever and stupid, I just wish I knew when I crossed it.

84 4runner
02 Suzuki V-Strom
95 Honda 1100C1
06 Ram 2500 4x4

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2007, 08:39:15 AM »
yea  i would go 1 ton and 5 or 6 speed

but  the 7.3  is a strong  motor  :thumbs:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2007, 10:37:09 AM »
that auto would be the weakest link and wouldnt be happy pulling that kinda load for too long. where are you located? i know of a 2001 chevy 1 ton dually for sale with the d-max/allison.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

BikerTrash [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2007, 08:33:38 PM »
I am in south Louisiana

84 4runner
02 Suzuki V-Strom
95 Honda 1100C1
06 Ram 2500 4x4

Doof

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,205
  • Member since Apr '07
  • establised summer of 89
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2007, 08:53:42 PM »
get a manual and then install the jake brake or engine break or air break....or whatever name it might be called...

my boss has been talking about doing that for a few years and he has a 250 crew cab i think... might be 350, but he hauls :pokinit: all the time all over with a goose neck trailer (or the travel trialer to the coast and it does just fine with the auto), ive seen him haul some gnarly loads like nothing. but again he has been driving like that for at least 20 years so he is used to huge heavy loads....ill double check with what he drives tomorrow and ill ask him or show him this thread and get his opionion on here for you

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Oct 30, 2007, 10:56:30 PM »
thats 3 differant types of brakes.
jake brake-partially closes the exhaust flow from the motor causing it to bog down. it works as a brake, but also harms the motor over time. can be put on any exhaust system.
air brake-what 18 wheelers and heavy duty trucks use instead of hydraulics.
engine brake-uses the compression of the motor to slow the vehicle down, very effective and causes no harm to the motor. only available on certain motors though.

USAF EOD tech

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,909
  • Member since Aug '06
  • One Toyota + One Mopar = Topar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 31, 2007, 01:57:59 AM »
Use a condom  :rofl2: Oh never mind you had another question.  Damn title.

Doof

• Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 31, 2007, 03:40:36 PM »

:funny:

jake brake-partially closes the exhaust flow from the motor causing it to bog down. it works as a brake, but also harms the motor over time. can be put on any exhaust system.
engine brake-uses the compression of the motor to slow the vehicle down, very effective and causes no harm to the motor. only available on certain motors though.

thanks for the info...... id go with the air brake... sounds cool when you slow down

BikerTrash [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 03, 2007, 11:42:30 PM »

It's ok, that is never bad advice  :disturbed:

84 4runner
02 Suzuki V-Strom
95 Honda 1100C1
06 Ram 2500 4x4

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 06, 2007, 09:10:33 PM »
The new dodges come with Exhaust brakes so they can't hurt the motor that bad.

BikerTrash [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 12, 2007, 10:26:37 PM »
Really off topic bu I think I just found my tow rig, just need to track this guy down and see if he will sell it :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpH1NPfQ790

84 4runner
02 Suzuki V-Strom
95 Honda 1100C1
06 Ram 2500 4x4

Doof

• Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 12, 2007, 10:45:56 PM »
that thing is sick

BikerTrash [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 13, 2007, 11:41:35 AM »
What sucks it is it probably built on like a little ranger from or something.

84 4runner
02 Suzuki V-Strom
95 Honda 1100C1
06 Ram 2500 4x4

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 13, 2007, 06:22:50 PM »
   a "jake"  brake is  just a brand name  of  a  design of  engine brake,  it has  nothing to do with exhaust  other than  it  switches  the valves  so that  the engine acts  as a compressor  working against itself.  exact same thing  as a engine brake because  its just a "brand" name  of  a  brand  of  engine brake,   and ive never heard  of  any  exhaust (small deisels)  or engine brakes (large diesel) causeing any kind  of  abnormal wear  on the engine, 
  right

Cummins, Detroit, Caterpiller,  Mercedes, the list goes on and on

and FWIW  Caterpillar  had  a  "torque brake",  it was basically  a HUGE  torque converter  on the back of the engine  the flywheel and clutch attaches too,  but  when applied  it could provide  up to 1000 lbs  of  braking torque  to stop the truck
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #16 on: Nov 13, 2007, 09:21:04 PM »
with the engine brake i'm talking about the 1/2, 3/4, 1 ton truck market. most big rig companies that i know of have engine brakes.

with the jake brake (what i was told when i saw an example of it) was a valve that would partially close the exhaust, effectively bogging down the motor.

USAF EOD tech

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 14, 2007, 11:03:05 AM »
with the engine brake i'm talking about the 1/2, 3/4, 1 ton truck market. most big rig companies that i know of have engine brakes.

with the jake brake (what i was told when i saw an example of it) was a valve that would partially close the exhaust, effectively bogging down the motor.
well  JAKE  as a  brand  might have  a  small diesel exhaust brake,  i think Banks has one  i'll  have a looksy

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 14, 2007, 11:16:21 AM »
well  you are right,  because of the limited space  in the valvetrain of smaller diesels  Jacobs Vehicle Systems, aka "JAKE" has  released a  exhaust brake  for  rv's  and  light duty trucks, 

but  Red,  the difference is between the exhaust brake  and  engine brake, 

kinda likethe  e locker  and  arb,  they are both selectable lockers  but work different

or a BETTER   analogy  is   Detroit  locker  and the Detroit truetrac,  made by the same company but  work completely different

ctdellerman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 31
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 18, 2007, 12:49:52 PM »
An exhaust brake is basically a trap door that slams shut anywhere in the exhaust on a diesel truck.  Some manufactures of them are Jacobs, PacBrake, BD and Banks.  They are very common on Cummins Engines in RV's  and are on option for Dodge trucks.  They do not harm the engine.  To throw a better spin on the "Jake" term, the exhaust brake on my Dodge is made by Jacobs but is not actually a jake brake because it has nothing to do with the valve train like on a semi.  If you are planning on towing heavy I suggest two things, 1st buy a Dodge with a six speed and 2nd put an exhaust brake on it.  Goodluck
1987 4-Runner, elocker rear...gathering parts for SAS conversion
2001 Dodge 2500 4x4 QCLB Cummins Diesel 6spd HO.  Edge Juice with Attitude, Edge Jammer II injectors, AFE Stage 2, MBRP 4" exhaust, Jacobs exhaust brake, FASS fuel system, Southbend Clutch, Carli Suspension, 3" Sway-A-Ways, custom Deaver leaf packs, custom long travel airbags, 3rd gen wheels, Lukes links, DSS, Royal Utility bed

BikerTrash [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2007, 09:37:32 PM »
Well I went and did it. I bought a tow rig. Probably not the best tow rig but it is what I could pay cash for, and should be reliable as a stone, but is it a bad sign when a trucks Fuel guage is the same size as the speedometer? On the good side I doubt it will even know my 4runner will be behind it while towing.

1987 chevrolet c30, almost the exact same truck as the farm truck I wanted, just in Much much better shape, and an actual bed instead of my grand dads flat bed.

Couple quick questions, I think the 87 is one of the first years to have injection on it, is there anything I can do to wake it up without getting worse mileage that I figure the 454 will already get? Second, I am guessing it wwont be able to ride any better than it does now unless I pile something in the bed which I guess would also hurt the mileage, but I am open to any suggestions.

Now I just need to hunt down a trailer...

better pictures tomorrow.

84 4runner
02 Suzuki V-Strom
95 Honda 1100C1
06 Ram 2500 4x4