Author Topic: Local Junkyards  (Read 2667 times)

Highwayman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 41
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
Local Junkyards
« on: Dec 10, 2007, 02:54:59 PM »
Any suggestions on how to get a good deal or respect at the local junkyard? When I go it seems they are always overpricing me when I check internet resources the parts would cost less, the only reason I purchase thru the Junkyard is that it is closer and I get to see what I'm paying for and no wait time. On the east coast they are the closest part used parts supply to me. Im pretty regular there sounds stupid but could it be how I dress look when I go there? Asked to exchange an gauge cluster for an older one (I got an 83 from them didnt work for my older 80) found an older one in there yard asked if I could exchange and they said no but they might give me a break on the price. Just seems I could be treated better I pull all my own parts never ask for tools never haggle about there prices which seem high. Like for example today  I got an air cleaner cover cost me $10 just my opinion but does more like $5 seem a far price? Thanks for the feedback!!!

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Re: Local Junkyards
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2007, 02:59:04 PM »
junk yards make their money off of people that NEED parts right then to get their vehicle running...at least thats usually the kinda people i see when I'm there
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2007, 05:59:19 PM »
Any suggestions on how to get a good deal or respect at the local junkyard? When I go it seems they are always overpricing me when I check internet resources the parts would cost less, ..............

................never ask for tools never haggle about there prices which seem high. Like for example today  I got an air cleaner cover cost me $10 just my opinion but does more like $5 seem a far price? Thanks for the feedback!!!
  um  yea  and   btw  just how do you dress :eek:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2007, 06:02:36 PM »
  um  yea  and   btw  just how do you dress :eek:
dood, u gotta go in covered in grease, stinking, filthy in clothes that are hanging onto your body by a thread with 50 cent in your hand begging ....

btw, hit me up if u need any good used yota parts hehe...
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2007, 08:56:37 PM »
dood, u gotta go in covered in grease, stinking, filthy in clothes that are hanging onto your body by a thread with 50 cent in your hand begging ....

btw, hit me up if u need any good used yota parts hehe...

If hitting up a Ford junkyard, you have to smell like cat piss as well. Atleast that has been my experience. :twocents:
« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2007, 09:07:56 PM by KDXSR5 »

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2007, 10:35:16 PM »
If hitting up a Ford junkyard, you have to smell like cat piss as well. Atleast that has been my experience. :twocents:

I know I'll regret asking, but why?
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2007, 11:07:57 PM »
the cat pisses on his work clothes,   I guess

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2007, 11:09:23 PM »
out here, in ca... if you speak spanish, you get stuff way cheaper... haha, i look hispanic sorta, i guess, and get speaken to in spanish all the time, but when i say huh?! thats when they look @ me funny and the price goes way up.....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2007, 11:11:22 PM »
out here, in ca... if you speak spanish, you get stuff way cheaper... haha, i look hispanic sorta, i guess, and get speaken to in spanish all the time, but when i say huh?! thats when they look @ me funny and the price goes way up.....
hispanic-covered in a coat of grease

TRACKER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 442
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2007, 05:28:35 PM »
next time go there with machine/technician uniform  :dunno: 
Pride - is what drive a man to do his very best even when no one is looking ..

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2007, 07:43:43 PM »
I know I'll regret asking, but why?

Every ford junk yard i have been to (my dad likes fords for some reason) smells like cat piss and there are always cats around. Every other junkyard I have been to is normal.

The best way to get a good deal is to get connections. My dad knows a lot of people in town, so I have some connections through him. I can call for a part and get a high price. The second he calls, he gets a lower price. I kind of think it is bs, but whatever.

One junkyard I like going to always has new guys around, so I can go in, pull a part, and give them a (fair) price for it. Usually they will go with my price, especially if they have no idea what the part is.

My boss' husband does small car demo derbies, and he usually gets junk cars for free, so sometimes I can just go out to his place and get a part I need.

I don't know what else to tell ya. One way to gain respect is become a friend with one of the guys, and help them out once in a while. I don't know about junkyards in the rest of the country, but around here they are on the smaller side, pull your own part type places. I know down in Denver, there is one where you tell them the part you need, they go get it, and you don't even have to get dirty. Those types of places it might be very hard to get a cheap deal in. Ok, enough of my mindless babble.

rage

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 26
  • Male Posts: 142
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2007, 09:36:07 AM »
All the junkyards around here are small and owned by crazy/wierd tweekers. Just gotta catch them on a good day and show up lookin like white trash covered in grease.

Redeyejedi

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 115
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2007, 02:19:50 PM »
All the junkyards around here are small and owned by crazy/wierd tweekers. Just gotta catch them on a good day and show up lookin like white trash covered in grease.
and what if you're black?  :headscratch:
alcohol.....the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78234902@N06/

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2007, 02:29:19 PM »
and what if you're black?  :headscratch:
price goes up 500 dollars
RIP KYOTA

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2007, 02:32:09 PM »
be friendly with them and usually you get a better deal. one of the yards in midland i went to the guy behind the counter couldnt speak spanish very well (large hispanic population in that area) and the person in front of me refused to speak english. sold the guy his part and when it was my turn the salesguy asked if thats all i needed and i replied "no hable ingles" (i'm about as white as it comes). they guy looked at me and started crackin up, i ended up paying 15 bucks for the axle shafts/hubs for the front axle and the axle shafts for the rear.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

Redeyejedi

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 115
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #15 on: Dec 13, 2007, 02:35:04 PM »
price goes up 500 dollars
   damn!!

nice red! maybe i go for SA look.... orale'! i do espeaking espanish so i guess i haggle in my second tongue!!
alcohol.....the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78234902@N06/