Author Topic: How waterproof is the 3RZ?  (Read 1510 times)

Eli

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
How waterproof is the 3RZ?
« on: Oct 11, 2007, 08:47:37 AM »
I'm considering a 3RZ. I see a lot of mud and water. How waterproof is it? I'd probably get a distributorless version. Are the coil packs sealed?

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: How waterproof is the 3RZ?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2007, 12:29:42 PM »
my friend had a taco with 3rz  and snorkel  it ran  dang near under water  and never gave him any trouble

if you want a deep water buggy,  go with a  manual pump diesel
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

LOL @ IFS

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 292
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Not so common common sense.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2007, 12:50:23 PM »
I floated the bed on my Taco once.  Either I had a hell of a bow wave, or I just freakin' lucked out, because I had water coming over the hood with the stock intake, and it kept chugging along.  It ran pretty rough for a few mintues afterwards, but I'm attributing that to the electronics getting wet.  I think it's as waterproof as any other engine... if you keep the water out of it and the electronics, it'll be fine.

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2007, 02:49:08 PM »
The electronics probably could be sealed up pretty good with a few plastic boxes and some gasket sealant.  Most of them, like the relays, just need a small bead around where the base is/where they plug in(seal cracks and so on).  The contacts and such won't short with only 12V running across them.   The biggie is to do the same with the snorkel of course.  It's always loads of fun to watch the newbies die in deep water because they just snapped a kit all together and didn't actually seal it tight.