Author Topic: Bump in the Steering.  (Read 1241 times)

Jagdverband44

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 155
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
Bump in the Steering.
« on: Mar 25, 2008, 02:13:23 PM »

Sup guys,  I have been hearing this bump at three points from lock to lock when steer at low speeds. I cannot figure out where it is coming from as I checked all of the tie-rod ends on the hysteer, the linkage going into the steering box, the knuckle mount bracket bolts, the u-bolts, the shackle mounting points and spring mounting point on the shackles and everything is tight. You can feel the bump in the floorboards. I think it is coming from the knuckles and it is probably time to rebuild them, but before I drop 185 bones on a Marlin kit, I want a few second opinions, and maybe if you guys think I messed up my Birfs. The Birfield soup is also coming out under both knuckles. I know I am in bad shape, so go easy. :bananabeer:
I've got the most liftedest truck in town, that little jap truck done stand no chance gainst my Chevy. My Chevy gots a V8 more lift an bigger tires,and an exhaust system, whats yer tuna can got, a V4, and them tires look like they is offa Saturn Corulla. The dealer instulled my lift, so ya no its done right, you just try to foller me throo them rocks an see what a reel truck can do.

Doof

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,205
  • Member since Apr '07
  • establised summer of 89
    • View Profile
Re: Bump in the Steering.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2008, 02:19:20 PM »
pull it apart and check em out... and your seals also

Jagdverband44 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2008, 09:37:09 PM »
   I know the inner seals are shot, I am going to be installing Marlin's HD inners. In the FSM it lists all sorts of SST's needed to disassemble the knuckle that I do not have. Am I F*cked on this or can the SST's be improvised? Also, what would a tell tale sign that a Birf joint was toast?  :attention:
I've got the most liftedest truck in town, that little jap truck done stand no chance gainst my Chevy. My Chevy gots a V8 more lift an bigger tires,and an exhaust system, whats yer tuna can got, a V4, and them tires look like they is offa Saturn Corulla. The dealer instulled my lift, so ya no its done right, you just try to foller me throo them rocks an see what a reel truck can do.

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2008, 09:41:06 PM »
Read this, it shows you how to rebuild without the SST's.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/AxleRebuild.shtml

I am thinking that your trunnion bearings are shot and that is where you are getting the bump in the steering.

Here is a link to the 85 FSM, it shows you how to take apart the Birfields and check them.

http://www.lukemiller.org/toys/1985_toyota_4wd_front_axle_FSM.pdf
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

Jagdverband44 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2008, 02:29:27 PM »
 I took the thing apart down to the where the hub body is removed and realized that i dont have a 54mm socket  :clap2: Gotta order one and also a full rebuild kit from the Marlin. I removed the steering bracket and rotated the knuckle as it would in its steering rotation and I heard a good clink/bump which I believe to be the Trunion bearing. Either that or one of the parts of the Birf is shot which would be bad. Dont mean to hijack my own thread but I need an Aussie locker and thought to ask if anyone knows of someone or sells them for a reasonable price? I figure now that I am getting into front axle work that I might as well throw in a locker as well, the rig is not complete without the front being locked up as well.

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2008, 02:36:59 PM »
I've seen a steering column bearing failure cause similar symptoms... :headscratch:
'82 pickup, +3, locked, doubled
'82 pickup, IFS long travel, V8
'85 4runner, V8 rock crawler
'88 X-cab, V6

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2008, 06:56:02 PM »
i vote  busted trunion bearing,  either way  the  Marlin rebuild kit  will fix you up
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way