Author Topic: Electric Lockers___Yea or Ney__? ? ? ?  (Read 1613 times)

bayrunner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Electric Lockers___Yea or Ney__? ? ? ?
« on: Oct 03, 2007, 10:01:55 PM »
Hey Guys ____ need some opinions on the “Toyota electric locker”. They have been converted to a manual system via “push- pull cable”. I’m wondering how dependable they would be. Also, how they would compare with other lockers ” manual or auto”. Are there any other hidden  problems associated with this system in particular that I wouldn’t encounter with other lockers systems(dependability, durability).Also what would be a fair price?Your opinions are greatly appreciated ,thanks in advance ._____BAYRUNNER

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: Electric Lockers___Yea or Ney__? ? ? ?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2007, 10:06:13 AM »
I have never been a fan of cable conversions for e-lockers.

I run e-lockers front and rear using the electric motors and I love them. They ALWAYS engage or disengage whenever I need them, and I've NEVER had it not disengage like I've seen with ARBs.

In my opinion, I prefer e-lockers because the locker-side carrier bearing is stronger, I don't have to have a noisy ARB air compressor on board, I don't have to worry about air leaks, I don't have to worry about air pressure, and I don't have to worry about condensation forming in the ARB air lines on a cold snow run.

I know this isn't about E-locker vs. ARB, but if I may, think about it this way. If you were going to run ARBs, then you are going to have to do wiring anyways, right? There are switches, and relays just as with the E-locker. The only advantage of the ARB wiring job is that the harnesses are already made and come prebuilt. But you still have the chance of a wiring problem, just as with an E-locker, but THEN you ALSO have the chance of an Air leak or some Air pressure problem with the ARB that you do NOT have with the E-Locker.

I have been in 1 vehicle that had cable controlled e-lockers, and I was not impressed. The driver had to keep a constant pressure on his cable-lever until he felt the locker engage or disengage. With the e-motor, all I have to do is quickly flip a simple 2-wire toggle switch open or closed in order to disengage or engage my e-locker. I never have to leave my hand anywhere and wait for the e-locker to operate. Flip the switch, then resume wheeling.

I've never experienced any problems using the e-motor.

But I am sure you will get mixed opinions from your question.

Good luck
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

8D3TOY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2007, 02:44:44 PM »
Don't forget with the E-locker you still have to modify your axle housing.

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 97
  • Male Posts: 1,095
  • Member since May '04
  • From Reykjavik Iceland...
    • View Profile
    • R&T
« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2007, 03:22:54 PM »
I am running arb... and I am seriusly looking into the e-lockers

I hate that air compressor. going off ewery 5 minutes... and I am never know if the lockers are on and always get frustrated when I hear that compressor going off.....
4runner body on a hilux frame = Hi-Runner.
 2,4 dti duals 2,28 x 2,28 to 8" 5.71 with arb´s  and 39,5" trxus
gathering parts for my goal which is
350 Chevy 700r4 auto to 2.28 x 4.70  and 4.88 9,5" cruisers diffs,diamondaxles and cable lockers, 44" richard cepecs

ToYocRawleR

• Gettin' Loose!!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 3,110
  • Member since Oct '05
  • The Homie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 04, 2007, 08:52:57 PM »
E-lockers are the shiiizzzzz!!!!!!!! Way more dependable and way cheaper.
-
Rigs:
05 F-250 Powerstroke
93 RunneR ...Build-up  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=85644.0

fortysixandtwo - I drove through Dunsmuir once I dont think anything there is "super nice"
Just kidding man. I guess there is, its your bed

steed

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 07, 2007, 02:17:22 AM »
i have a 2002 tacoma sr5 it has a rear electric locker i was wondering if theres an electric locker for the 7.5 front ifs?

Redeyejedi

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 115
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 07, 2007, 12:34:39 PM »
i hope to go front and rear elocker when my truck gets underway.
arbs are good lockers too, detroits also. just depends whether you want selectable or not. and i completely agree with BigMike.
imo...electricty is more reliable than air under varying offroad conditions..
alcohol.....the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78234902@N06/

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 07, 2007, 12:45:54 PM »
I am running arb... and I am seriusly looking into the e-lockers

I hate that air compressor. going off ewery 5 minutes... and I am never know if the lockers are on and always get frustrated when I hear that compressor going off.....
Easy fix the next time you have the diffs out, replace the O-rings on the air manifold. My compressor may go off once or twice a day if I am not shutting the key on and off.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #8 on: Oct 07, 2007, 12:52:28 PM »
man i dont even have a compressor its all about the co2 tank
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
    • R&T
« Reply #9 on: Oct 07, 2007, 05:50:14 PM »
Easy fix the next time you have the diffs out, replace the O-rings on the air manifold. My compressor may go off once or twice a day if I am not shutting the key on and off.

these have only been using them for one year.  I have used the for 4-5 whole days. I used to have detroid lockers.  I like how the arb´s work on street, = unlocked, but basicly I don´t have a clue if the locker is on or off. the sound of the compressor dosn´t bother me. I don´t like to hear that thing go on when I need the lockers the most. = makes me think that the lockers have been slowly disengaging till the compressor goes on.

I am running the small arb compressor. I was thinking to get a different set of gauges for front and rear lockers, and keep trying to fix these things. but then again there´s also low temperature that I have to deal with. that means ice in the air system... that just isn´t fun either.
350 Chevy 700r4 auto to 2.28 x 4.70  and 4.88 9,5" cruisers diffs,diamondaxles and cable lockers, 44" richard cepecs

~tc~

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 143
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 07, 2007, 07:13:29 PM »
If your ARB is cycling that often, you have an air leak that needs to be addressed. As mentioned above, mine will go pretty much all day without cycling the compressor.

IMHO, the air vs electric debate is pretty pointless. The electric wire is just as vulnerable as the air line. The fact of having some degree of on-board air negates the extra complexity (which is debatable - the wiring for an elocker is MUCH more complex than that for the ARB)

The big advantage of elocker is that it can be activated manually if necessary (remove actuator, change state of the locker with a prybar/screwdriver, change state of actuator, and reinstall). I have NEVER read a good review of the cable actuator.

The big advantage of ARB is that you have some degree of on-board-air and you don't have to modify your axle housing. Also, since there isn't an elocker for the IFS front. If you want a selectable, ARB is the only option.

When I priced it out, doing a TruTrac in the front, Elocker in the rear + on-board air was more expensive than ARB's front and rear (with the larger compressor "capable" of inflating tires, albeit slowly) since there are package deals on the ARB setup that get you the compressor for free.
'93 4Runner, V6/MT ARB's, armor, 33's, no lift!

President, CO Chapter TTORA www.cottora.org

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 07, 2007, 10:35:52 PM »
I was thinking of going with an E-locker but I don't want to modify my axle housing so I'm going with an ARB. I'm installing OBA & I'm going to set the air compressor to come on when the psi gets down to 100 psi. It only takes 90 psi to lock the ARB so I will install a regulator & it will always have 90 psi. I also read an article in the Sep/Oct 2007 4WD Toyota Owner mag & on page 36, the guy they were interviewing was asked "Worse part ever from Toyota?" His reply was "Electric locker 8" diff. The locker should have been a 9.5" diff. The 8" diffs were being broken way back in 1986, as this rear end was the 4 cylinder Turbo rear end back then. The 8" ring & pinion are not strong enough, and when customers build their trucks up and add large tires and such this is a weak link." The guy that was asked to answer this question
 :headscratch:

Marlin
« Last Edit: Oct 08, 2007, 03:13:34 AM by Tallchevy350 »
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
    • R&T
« Reply #12 on: Oct 08, 2007, 02:54:56 AM »
uhum... I have heard that the yukon diff has a bigger pinion, one of the main reasons for my worries is that I have to change to 4.88 from 5.71

I am currently running 5.71 4cyl. diffs. with an 2,4 turbo diesel interc. and 39,5 trxus. I am going for a 350 chevy and am thinking on going for 4.88 v6 and a high pinion front.  I am hoping that the 4.88 v6 is stronger than the 4cyl.
please correct me if I am wrong