Author Topic: TOYOTA REAR DIFF SETUP PROBLEMS  (Read 2562 times)

SLIVER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 503
  • Member since May '06
  • ))--SLIVER-->
    • View Profile
TOYOTA REAR DIFF SETUP PROBLEMS
« on: Aug 04, 2007, 03:00:06 AM »
So today I installed 5.29 gears and an Aussie Locker in my 8 inch.  I used the OEM pinion shim and adjusted the ring gear.  I read on a thread that the pinion nut should be set so that it takes 18 inch pounds to rotate the pinion while out of the housing.  I had no way of measuring this and tightened the pinion nut until the nut was not able to turn much more.  The force it takes to turn the pinion never changed.  It turned as freely as ever.  I finished adjusting the ring and pinion and put it back together.  It felt like it had the same backlash and adjustment as the original.

After getting it back together and filling the pumpkin with oil I drove it.  When I transitioned from accelerating to coasting the diff made a sound like a Harley was following me.  By the time I got home (about 10 miles later) the third member was hot as hell.  I'm afraid I really screwed things up.  Any ideas whether I tightened the pinion nut too much or too little?  Has anyone else had this experience?  What other problems could exist?  I know this is hard to answer but any ideas would be helpful.
))--SLIVER-->

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Re: TOYOTA REAR DIFF SETUP PROBLEMS
« Reply #1 on: Aug 04, 2007, 04:24:21 AM »
You hit the nail on the head. It is hard to say without being there and seeing it.

It could be the pinion is still loose causing it to oscillate on decell or the pattern is wrong.

Did you check the pattern with the pression blue? (yellow in most cases)

If not the gears mesh is very important, I would first check to see if you have any side to side movement in the pinion, then pull it and inspect it for damage.

Are you using a solid pinion spacer with shims or a crush sleeve? A solid spacer is best the crush sleeve can only be used once and could loosen up. They also take extreme force to crush some times.

If this is your first gear setup, you should find someone close to you that has done a few to look it over with you.

If it isn't done right it won't las long.

Good luck,
Mark
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

canadian4x4er

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 20
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 04, 2007, 08:06:58 PM »
I say the same as above, did you change the crush sleave or put in a solid spacer?
When you're riding in a time machine way far into the future, don't stick your elbow out the window, or it'll turn into a fossil.

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Aug 04, 2007, 09:22:17 PM »
10-15 INCH POUNDS of pinion bearing preload with new bearings, used bearings are less IIRC.  you really need to pull that thing back out.

The first couple times you run new gears the get a little warm.  You are supposed to get them warm, and let them cool completely and then repeat the cycle.

where are you located?

ZUK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 168
  • Member since Nov '02
    • View Profile
    • ZUK's Gear installs
« Reply #4 on: Aug 05, 2007, 09:11:30 AM »
You really handi-capped yourself without the right tools. Your pinion is really loose and when you go to remove it you will see swirl marks in your case that look just like this...
           www.gearinstalls.com
2001 White Xtracab Taco 3.4L Auto TRD
88 Runner/V6/auto/31"/5.29gear

canadian4x4er

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 05, 2007, 08:33:54 PM »
Lol those marks look all too familiar .
When you're riding in a time machine way far into the future, don't stick your elbow out the window, or it'll turn into a fossil.

SLIVER [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 503
  • Member since May '06
  • ))--SLIVER-->
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 06, 2007, 10:16:59 AM »
 I printed out an install guide from ZUK and figured that I could handle it. After weighing my options though, I don't want to risk the $600 that I have into parts. So I took my diff to Six States here in utah to have it set it up correctly. I will pay them what they want to set it up correctly and not shred my new gears. Thanks for the help guys but there comes a time that I will leave it up to the pro's.

))--SLIVER-->
))--SLIVER-->

canadian4x4er

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 06, 2007, 11:09:04 AM »
Good plan, that is what I did with my rear as well.