Author Topic: Horrible noise in the rear - bad diff?  (Read 2766 times)

Yota Up

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
Horrible noise in the rear - bad diff?
« on: May 24, 2007, 10:24:21 PM »
Wish I could play the sound for ya'll.
It only happens when the wheel is turned.  That means if I'm going straight, it's quiet.

As soon as I'm turning, I hear a bad noise from the rear.  Could it be the limited slip in the diff?  Or is it because I have no shocks and it's pulling one side of axle as I turn.

I only hear this going real slow.  Don't know if it also happens going fast.

SACD_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 217
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
Re: Horrible noise in the rear - bad diff?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 12:25:10 AM »
It sounds like the Limited slip is out of wack, can you give us more info on the type of LS and what the sound, sounds like.
Starting from scratch again...

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 05:54:18 AM »
It sounds like the Limited slip is out of wack, can you give us more info on the type of LS and what the sound, sounds like.

X2 If you can give us an idea of what it sounds like it will be a hell of allot easer for us to help you.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 07:26:10 AM »
no matter what type  its gotta come out
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

twistedtoy92

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 09:05:49 AM »
i bet its your spider gears !!!!!  mine broke a few teeth and jammed so i was driven with both axle locked in for a few days then it came loose and every corner CLANK CLANK CLANK!!! pulled it out sure enough 4 teeth gonne and a half of a ring gear tooth!!
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 09:12:01 AM »
no matter what type  its gotta come out

Not necessarily, if it's a limited slip with the wrong oil in it it will moan, grown and chatter pretty bad?

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 01:28:03 PM »
When a new mechanical LSD is installed, it can give out an unusual chattering noise. This is caused by the clutch plates vibrating as they slip over one another and can be reduced or eliminated by proper break-in of the LSD You are most likely to hear it when driving at low speed or backing into the garage. Once the LSD, has been properly broken in the noise will disappear, although some larger LSD,s can continue to make some chattering noise even after break in.

The other common cause of chattering from your LSD is using the wrong oil. Both poor quality oils and all-synthetic oils can cause chattering.
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Yota Up [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 07:32:37 PM »
This is a factory toyota V6 4:88 LSD.
I used the oil that's recommended in the manual, and made sure it said "recommended for LS".

It was a crappy oil...?

Oh, one more thing.  When I got this thing in the mail, shipped from GA - it had GLASS pieces inside.  Tiny little pieces of glass, like someone in their shop broke a lightbulb above the diff.

Tiny glass enough to mess with thick metal gears?

And the sound is hard to describe.  It's like the leafsprings are being pinched and moved, or the body is rubbing hard on something, but not the same CLUNK you get when your tranny goes out.  Although I think I would definately consider it a CLUNK...

SACD_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 10:57:46 PM »
what kind of play do you have in you DL, Are you running a CV shaft or double cardan.  grab the DL and see if it moves up/down, left/right.

This clunking only happens on take off and gear changes right? it seems like and sound resulting from too much play in the pinion.

Yes, i beleive glass will break down gears quiet well, did you get it all out? it would act like dirt for the most part, scaring the ring and pinion.

Yota Up [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 07:23:21 PM »
No play in the driveline. No up/down, no left/right, all solid.

Must be the diff?  I suspect it's only partially slipping.  Scarred r&p would not make this noise, would it?

SACD_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 09:00:26 PM »
The R&P being scared no, them scaring yes. Have you pulled the plug to check for metal? that will be your first place to look for failure. Then if you see nothing pull the 3rd and check the r&p for scaring. You never know maybe your crush sleeve failed and moved you pinion. I wouldnt drive it much more untill you check/pull it though.

Yota Up [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 07:03:35 PM »
Damn.  Even if I pull it, I don't know what to look for.  It looked alright(from my rookie angle) before I put it in.  Contacted the company in Georgia and the guy told me to drain and refill and use an LSD additive.

Does this sound like something an additive of lube would affect?

SACD_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 08:49:55 PM »
Yeah if your running dino in it, then throw some Redline in there and see what happens. Could be as simple as a fluid change. pretty cheap fix and it never hurts to run a good lube with any gears.

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 08:01:03 AM »
Damn.  Even if I pull it, I don't know what to look for.  It looked alright(from my rookie angle) before I put it in.  Contacted the company in Georgia and the guy told me to drain and refill and use an LSD additive.

Does this sound like something an additive of lube would affect?

This is what I have said?

LAGEN WAGON

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 244
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Just another slow built truck
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jun 01, 2007, 01:19:59 PM »
I had the same problem with a V6 L-slip all because I did not put the gear oil with the additive in my third. They do make a tube of additive that can be added to regular gear oil.....5 bucks and most likly no more noise. You can buy it at Kragen .....NAPA good luck
85 EX Cab..30 Spline Longfields+Longs hub gears, 37" MTRs on crawlers..Marlin Hy steer.5.29 Detroit, Hydro, V-6 Tacoma Axle, 5.29 E-Locker, Marlin Duels, 4404's front, Chevies rear, Fully armored, Bobbed bed, Warn XDI 9000, Downey Header 2.5 Exhaust. Blah
85 runner 3" lift 30 spline longs/hub gears shave housing,trussed/armored. 4.88 detroit heims hysteer. V-6 rear axle 4.88 detroit. Marlin 4.7 case fully armored downey hi flow exhaust..The grocery getter.

Yota Up [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jun 01, 2007, 05:50:17 PM »
Yeah...Toyguy - sounds like you were right, buddy.  Right on.
Thanks a bunch to all you guys for your help.

Gonna get it done this weekend.