Author Topic: How to identify a stupid car dealership.  (Read 2442 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
How to identify a stupid car dealership.
« on: May 15, 2007, 10:14:21 PM »
I stopped by a local Dodge dealership the other night to look at some trucks with my sister-in-law and while I was drooling over the SRT-10 quad cab for under $50k I noted that the truck next to it sitting on the ramps had severe rust on the yokes and rear driveshaft.  This brand new truck had more rust than my 85 truck or 89 4Runner.  Of all the trucks on the lot they chose to display the obvious flood truck for all to see.  What a bunch of idiots.

:smack:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

83yota

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 372
  • Member since Mar '04
  • rollin my nike's
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: How to identify a stupid car dealership.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 10:15:37 PM »
no one said they were smart and i dont know that all that many people would notice funny though :ha_ha:
85 toyta 4runner Soon to be full widths... i hope http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=62935.0

90 toyota runner Very sadly gone
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=75563.60

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 10:17:47 PM »
I had to school the dealer I just bought my truck from, I was looking at a Toyota Pre-Runner and he told me it had a rear locker, my reply was I don't see a TRD sticker on it so it does not have a locker. I made him show me the actuator, of course he couldn't find one.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

83yota

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 372
  • Member since Mar '04
  • rollin my nike's
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 10:19:09 PM »
now thats funny :doh: :rofl:
85 toyta 4runner Soon to be full widths... i hope http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=62935.0

90 toyota runner Very sadly gone
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=75563.60

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 10:20:06 PM »
You guys don't know what rust is. If you can't scrape it off with a screwdriver, then it aint rusty  :yesnod:
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

NT-OUTBACK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 139
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 01:49:48 AM »
If the rust is not coming off in flakes who gives a rats, it's a truck

motorider228

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 433
  • Male Posts: 460
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 02:54:15 AM »
Blackdiamond, the new dodges all have a problem with the driveshafts and yokes having rust on them.  My 06 ram has it and had it with less than 20 miles on the clock.  No signs of a flood vehicle either.  On the dodge boards I freequent most guys had this issue with their brand new dodges for some reason.  I am not keeping the truck due to an unfixable warranty issue but if I was I would just yank the drive shaft, sand it down, and hit it with some grey anti rusting rattle can.

Edit: I don't mean all, I mean about 90%

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 07:10:18 AM »
I guess I didn't crawl under any of the other new Dodge trucks, but I did look under some of the used ones and they all seemed to look fine.  If that is a common Dodge problem, then I can't imagine purchasing a 30-40k truck that comes with rust on it.

:shake_head:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 07:12:03 AM »
You guys don't know what rust is. If you can't scrape it off with a screwdriver, then it aint rusty  :yesnod:

I am a qualified structural inspector on Navy ships and I have seen some excellent rust.  It's amazing how bad minor rust can look.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 10:30:39 AM »
I've noticed that on may domestic trucks over the years.  I've always been surprised by how much surface rust there is on the undercarriage/drivetrain no a new truck, then look over at a jap truck and they're all nice and clean underneath :dunno:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 10:50:40 AM »
I've noticed that on may domestic trucks over the years.  I've always been surprised by how much surface rust there is on the undercarriage/drivetrain no a new truck, then look over at a jap truck and they're all nice and clean underneath :dunno:
I've noticed the exact same thing.
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 12:12:29 PM »
The surface rust on new vehicles looks bad because it has not changed color to the dark that most undersides of vehicles look like. On a newly rusted piece of metal it is fairly bright and really looks eye catchingly ugly. I would doubt if the domestic manufacturers even paint the steel on the driveshafts etc. Once most of that stuff gets a thin coating of oxidation on it I think it actually provides a protective coating. Most of the rust will take place on the thinner most succeptible pieces of the truck like the body first. Once the body is rusted out then watch out!
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough