Author Topic: so i got a new cam and header.... runnin strong now!  (Read 2279 times)

dov'd85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -470
  • Male Posts: 348
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
so i got a new cam and header.... runnin strong now!
« on: Mar 11, 2007, 09:39:03 PM »
and now my truck won't run.... when i pulled the vavle cover i found my cam to be bad on a brand new motor with les than 3000 :dunno: bad metal... so i bought a comp cam 4x4 cam... and a thorley header, put it all together and it wouldn't idle and it pops out the exhaust :headscratch: the timing is set at 9 degree advance per the spec on the cam they say to advance an extra four degree's for the cam. once i got the timing set it still popped out the exhaust. it runs smooth except for the popping ??? and the fact that it now won't idle... it ran good before the cam and header.. all the wiring is just how it was when i pulled it apart the first time and it ran and idle'd great? :beer:
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2007, 09:52:46 PM by dov'd85 »
85 long bed: 30 spline long, hydro assist, hysteer, 223.1 twin sticks, 39.5 iroks, rear disk,
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=28696.msg344178#msg344178

derek

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -61
  • Male Posts: 600
  • Member since May '02
  • slow truck=more time to nap
    • View Profile
sounds like you have the timing off.

BigBs84

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 349
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
THE CAM WILL HAVE SOME LOPE AND IT WILL BE ROUGH AT IDLE. UP THE IDLE  :dunno: :twocents:
Build it wright-wind it tight
   High-N-Tight offroad
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45027.0 My truggy build

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
What grind number is the cam?

dov'd85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
got it figured out... it runs and i broke in my cam last night.... but it still won't idle... i have all the vacum lines hooked up.... no intake or exhaust leaks, i am going to change the oil and recheck my valves today.... my ecm flashed 11 blinks then 5... 5 is for the 02 i new i would get that code because the 02 is broken but that would stop it from idling, and 11 blinks says something about a short to terminal T? not sure what that is yet :dunno:

james
85 long bed: 30 spline long, hydro assist, hysteer, 223.1 twin sticks, 39.5 iroks, rear disk,

partyman66

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Male Posts: 5
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
IAC?
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 4-Cyl 5-Speed Reg Cab Stepside, 275/70/16 Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
check and adjust your tps.

dov'd85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
truck ran fine a month ago.... got it running..so so, i got the cam broken in and it still won't idle?? no vacum leaks or exhaust leaks, i don't know why it won't idle i am going to readjust the vavles, and recheck cam timing aswell as ignition timing....what am i missing"?

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
wow, i thought i posted to this earlier..... are you sure your cam and crank are lined up to 0* with the rotor in the correct spot? it is supposed to be at a 45* ish angle pointing to the radiator
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

dov'd85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
wow, i thought i posted to this earlier..... are you sure your cam and crank are lined up to 0* with the rotor in the correct spot? it is supposed to be at a 45* ish angle pointing to the radiator

ya i have torn the cover off once and the vavle cover off a couple times... to verify that the cam timing is correct... i am going to go back and readjust the vavles today and reset ignition timing, with #1 on tdc and the timing mark on the crank on 0 degree's the circle on the cam gear is at about 11 o-clock just left of center a half tooth to the left if you are looking at the motor from the front...

skyscraper

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 589
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
I am running the comp cam also, and i run it at the stock specs, 5 degrees before.  it idles a little rough, but doesnt pop or anything.  Make absolutely sure that when the mark on the pulley is at 0 degrees, that the rotor is pointing to the #1 plug wire in the cap.  Its easy to get it off one tooth, and it will still look like its pointing to the #1. 

dov'd85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
well tried again tonight,, took off the valve cover varified my cam timing once again... right on the money, but for some reason my plugs keep fouling out? :headscratch: :think:.... no codes, now it doesn't want to run period, vavles adjusted at 8 intake 12 exhaust.

grind number on the cam is T20 252S

maybe i got a bad cam/wrong cam?? :dunno: runnin out of idea's

thanks

james

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
OK James,
             I am running the same cam, and I checked my cam spec card and it says absolutely nothing about running your ignition timing at anything other than the stock timing. Second the valve setting is .010 intake and .010 exhaust. Due yourself a favor and reset the ignition timing to the stock 5btdc, and set he valves at .010 intake & exhaust. If you run with a valve setting other than specified you stand a good chance of wiping out a good new cam. Also make sure you set he valves the way the fsm says. Good luck let us know what happens.

dov'd85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
ALRIGHT!!!!!!!!! runnin strong, well somewere from have my cam timing off at first, than the vavles and back firing out of the intake and exhaust :headscratch:.... the hose from the back of the vavles bellow the throttle body had blown off :greengrin: once i put it on fired right up set the timing and it runs damn good :yesnod: :thumbs: sounds alot nicer with the cam,header and my 5 in long flowmaster super 40 :yupyup: so wheelin this weekend thanks for all the help and idea's :beerchug:

james