Author Topic: g52 going bad?  (Read 1162 times)

Rcap80

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 6
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
g52 going bad?
« on: Jan 17, 2007, 07:34:46 PM »
I have a question about cause and transmission interchange.  I have an 83 4x4 22r with either a g52 or g54 tranny.  when I shift from 1st to 2nd it sounds like a loose piece of metal is either in my engine or transmission just for a second it sounds like something is broken floating around it does the same from 2nd to 3rd.  It just sounds like something is broken or loose.  Also when in 4th and 5th gear when I give it a little more than a 1/4 of the skinny pedal it sounds like valve chatter but I believe it is coming from my tranny.  I am having a tough time locating the exact location of the noise due to a loud truck and s#$*y directional hearing.  But I adjusted the valves yesterday and now I believe it is coming from the tranny.  I am driving 700 miles on monday 1/22 and I don't think if it is the tranny that it will make it.  I am fairly mechanically adept but not transmission rebuild adept.  So my question is how much roughly does it cost to get a tranny rebuilt, and what transmissions will bolt up directly?  I don't want an L series and I know that a G52 and 54 work, I also believe that a w56 will work with no mods. Is this correct?  What do newer Taco's use and would that work? WHat is the strongest manual tranny I can put in that will bolt to my 22r?  Lastly will an R series work out of a 6 or a 4 turbo?  I pretty much have this weekend to do this so any help would be greatly appreciated.  I am changing the tranny and case oil first thing in the morning so I am expecting to find some metal shavings in there.   Thanks in advance, Rob

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: g52 going bad?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2007, 07:48:33 PM »
if  you have a L52  which you should (83 had a L52) then  a L52HD from Marlin is what you need,  NO  a G52 or G54 or w56  will "bolt right up"

only  the L will bolt up  without cutting your driveshafts  UNLESS  you had the driveshafts from the same type truck, 

the G and W trannies are about 6 inches longer than the L trannies,  HOWEVER  the L52HD that Marlin makes  has  the  gear set from a G54  in the L52  short case,   so you get the stronger G54  in a short case that bolts right up
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Rcap80 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2007, 08:03:43 PM »
The old L series was replaced with this G series a couple months ago right before I bought the truck.  The transmission that is in there is a g series I just don't know if it is a 52 or 54.  It was a junkyard tranny.  So should I buy a W series or will an R series work?  I think the newer tacos have a w59 but not sure so would one of those work?  I want to do this right the first time so is it worth rebuilding a g or is it better to get something stronger?

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2007, 08:13:59 PM »
you can use a w  if its a forward shift  or you get the tcase too
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Rcap80 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2007, 08:57:52 PM »
Alright, last question.  I know a w56 will work but will a w59 work? If I get the transfer case as well.  I am having a tough time finding much info on the 59.  I am assuming it is also the same length as the 56.  and 21 spline as well.  What are the differences between the 56 and 59.  Thanks again.