Author Topic: Thinking about moving to Truckee, CA or Tahoe area at least  (Read 3693 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Thinking about moving to the Tahoe area, particularly truckee.  I want a change of scenery, and I'd love to live up there.  Same job opportunities and pay are up there as in the Sacramento area, and as far as I can tell, cost of living is lower.  Anyone in the area that can tell me otherwise, or at least give me an estimate of the cost of living. 

I know gas is more expensive, utilities get used more in the winter (but not as much as much in the summer, like we use them down here)  rent is cheaper :dunno:

thoughts, comments? job opportunities?  I've got some leads, but anything new never hurts
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 193
  • Member since May '02
  • I believe in Life before Death
    • View Profile
    • www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com
I'd think cost of living would be much higher but I dunno. I'd love to move there if I could get a job..
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA
www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
all the places we've looked at in Truckee are $$$$$$$$$$$. would be sweet though being so close to Tahoe, Con, Fordyce and Reno

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
I hear Wichita is nice.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
I hear Wichita is nice.

Sorry, I've lived in KS once, don't wanna do it again :hahaha:

I'd think cost of living would be much higher but I dunno. I'd love to move there if I could get a job..
all the places we've looked at in Truckee are $$$$$$$$$$$. would be sweet though being so close to Tahoe, Con, Fordyce and Reno
Thats what I thought too, but I've been looking into it, and the rent is actually cheaper in comparison to Sacramento.  :dunno:  I'm gonna try to call around and get some actual #s on utilities and such, so we'll see. 

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
JUST DO IT!!
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

sloyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 251
  • Male Posts: 818
  • Member since Mar '05
  • 1/4TiLTKrawlers.Petaluma,Ca. 707-766-9592
    • View Profile
Truckee is an awesome place to live,if i could make the same amount of money.I would to it in a heart beat...good luck!! :thumbs:
I'm not responsable for my own action's.

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
Cost of living has been going up and still continues to. The overflow from Tahoe is driving costs up. The people who can't quite afford Tahoe are pushing into areas like Truckee.
If you can afford it, I say go for it. It's beautiful up there. It's also VERY cold there, so be ready.

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Cost of living has been going up and still continues to. The overflow from Tahoe is driving costs up. The people who can't quite afford Tahoe are pushing into areas like Truckee.
If you can afford it, I say go for it. It's beautiful up there. It's also VERY cold there, so be ready.

I love the cold :yupyup:  grew up in Colorado, and a few of the plains states, where that wind combined with cold and snow can freeze your :moon: off.  Doesn't surprise me about the overflow, mabye I should get up there before it gets too expensive?   :think:

-Ronald Reagan

mikerob

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 102
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
You could always move to Portola.  LOL

alwaysbroken

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -80
  • Male Posts: 98
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Thats a nice area, What is the work like up there for a construction worker..  A union one at that :smack:
89 4 Runner, 3.0, 5spd, 2.28 crawl box, 4-1 atlas, prorock 60 up front, crd60 out back, on 37" mtr's

CTENG in KS

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
I hear Wichita is nice.

You know...this guy has a pretty good idea.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
You know...this guy has a pretty good idea.
I've been there it sucks  :moon: actually anywhere in kansas pretty much sucks :yupyup:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
I've been there it sucks  :moon: actually anywhere in kansas pretty much sucks :yupyup:
:hahaha:  :yesnod: 

Quote from: alwaysbroken link=topic=29147.msg320757#msg320757
date=1165622197
Thats a nice area, What is the work like up there for a construction worker..  A union one at that :smack:

There are actually a coupla openings in Reno to do the same thing I'm doing right now, but I'm not sure if I want to do that.  I'm looking at a few driving jobs, and I'm still pursuing a career in the Fire Service, and would love to be a FF in that area.  Truckee has a volunteer dept that I could get on with, and they usually hire full time positions from the volunteers, plus I can also test for local cities as well;  As far west as Sacramento, and then S Lake Tahoe, N Lake Tahoe, Reno, Sparks, Carson City, etc. as well.

-Ronald Reagan

CTENG in KS

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant

Its not so bad...at least you aren't here...

Blingn

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 155
  • Male Posts: 2,356
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
just move to sac so you can be closer to us!