Author Topic: How do you tell the diff between chromoly and stock axle shafts?  (Read 10790 times)

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Ok, so I think I got a deal from a guy on CL today.  I got 2 drivers side and 2 passenger's side axle shafts and a short birf.  Two of the shafts are brand new from Marlin never used, only taken out of the box to show me before I put them back in and took them home.  The guy before bought them from Marlin in '03.  The other two and the birf are visually used, but still in pretty good shape.  Then the guy I bought them off of sold them to me, so he was the middle man, and I'm the :idiot: that doesn't know the visual difference between chromoly and stock :hammerhead: I don't have pics yet, not sure I can get them any time soon either :dunno:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
no real way to tell unless they are stamped which i doubt they are. only chromo safts ive ever seen stamped were a set of d44  superriors.  sometimes you can tell if they are aftermarket  by  the coloring.  usually they will have darker rings in them.  best bet is to take them to a machinest that has the technolgy to test materials.
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Hmmm.. Okay, thanks IC :thumbs: I'll have to do something like that.  They are two different colors basically one set is darker than the other :dunno:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
Ummm...the chrome-moly will be all-shiny-like?  :dunno:
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

bluetoy84

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -100
  • Male Posts: 300
  • Member since Jun '04
  • rice bouncer
    • View Profile
Stock birfs will have "birfield ntn" stamped on the outside of the bell along with some other numbers. Chromo longs have "longfield" etched on the flat part of the bell.  I have bellfields and they are stock birfs that have been treated and a ring welded on the bell. They have "BF" stamped on the end of the stub shaft. Not sure about other brands, but I think longfield and marlin's are the only "chromoly" birfs and they look totally different than stock birfs.
TOYOTA FOUR WHEEL DRIVE..............need I say more?

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Thank you.

I'm pretty sure the birf is stock, it's the axle shafts that I'm curious about. 

bluetoy84

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -100
  • Male Posts: 300
  • Member since Jun '04
  • rice bouncer
    • View Profile
The machined finish on the stock shafts between the bigger splined end and the seal surface absolutely looks like crap. It looks like they machined them as fast as they could. Aftermarket shafts will look a lot smoother. This still don't tell you if they are 4340, but if they where bought from marlin they should be the 4340 shafts. Did he ever sell anything else ? Not sure.
TOYOTA FOUR WHEEL DRIVE..............need I say more?

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
I bet Marlin could tell, maybe even tell you who he sold them to and how much shipping was and what state the were shipped to and how nice that states is. :rofl:

Sorry Marlin, I couldn't help myself. We all love you, but you already knew that too.
 :bowdown:
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
I bet Marlin could tell, maybe even tell you who he sold them to and how much shipping was and what state the were shipped to and how nice that states is. :rofl:

Sorry Marlin, I couldn't help myself. We all love you, but you already knew that too.
 :bowdown:

Yeah, but I didn't want to bother him with it that's why I posted it here :outtahere:

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
The machined finish on the stock shafts between the bigger splined end and the seal surface absolutely looks like crap. It looks like they machined them as fast as they could. Aftermarket shafts will look a lot smoother. This still don't tell you if they are 4340, but if they where bought from marlin they should be the 4340 shafts. Did he ever sell anything else ? Not sure.

not entirely. i see  the same deal on aftermarket shafts all the time.
Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
Look at the price tag!  :cheese:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Look at the price tag!  :cheese:

:rivers: There isn't a price tag :down:

derek

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -61
  • Male Posts: 600
  • Member since May '02
  • slow truck=more time to nap
    • View Profile
put them in bobby longs axle breaking machine.
that will tell you based on the twist and break point. :laugh: :gap:

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
I'd measure the diameter on each of the axles and if they are all the same, I'd bet they are stock.  I'm pretty sure the 4340 shafts are a different diameter than the stockers.

I know the 30spliners measure 1.258".  :)  (which are a hair bigger than my stock axles. (1.252"))

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
not if they are stock spline.  they wont be bigger
Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
I'd measure the diameter on each of the axles and if they are all the same, I'd bet they are stock.  I'm pretty sure the 4340 shafts are a different diameter than the stockers.

I know the 30spliners measure 1.258".  :)  (which are a hair bigger than my stock axles. (1.252"))

I don't think they'd fit in the third if they're any bigger.... But all 4 of mine are the exact diameter

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
I meant the diameter of the shaft, but not where the splines are.  :D

But as IC mentioned the 4340 are the same diameter as the stockers, so it wouldn't tell you anything anyways.  A friend said his 4340's from Pig were a smaller diameter than his stockers. (again, not where the splines are as yes that would be the same diameter.) So conflicting info verse what IC stated.

Borrow a camera!  Post some PICS!  :D

Picture time.  I'm talking about measuring here on the shafts.
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2006, 10:48:00 AM by All_Set »

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Soon as I install my camera onto the computer I've been using at home I'll get pics up :crossed: