Author Topic: keep on rolling  (Read 3013 times)

randito

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 34
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
keep on rolling
« on: Oct 24, 2006, 05:40:02 PM »
I've noticed recently that my 4runner doesn't roll quite as easily as it used to.  By roll I mean with the tranny in neutral, foot off the brake and sitting on an incline.  It's not like anything's seized, no strange noises, but it just seems that need to use the engine to get a little momentum going, I live on a hill is why I've noticed this.  So I'm thinking that maybe the parking brake is not releasing or maybe a wheel bearing.  Planning to jack up the front then rear tomorrow to see how freely the each wheel spins by hand.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: keep on rolling
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2006, 06:35:57 PM »
thats the first thing i would do,  let us know how it comes out
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,060
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2006, 09:00:14 PM »
I bet it rolls better forward than backwards.  My e-brake was sticking and it tightened while backing up.  I didn't notice it going forward.

I had a rear axle bearing fail and you will know when one goes.  It sounded and felt like the truck was self-destructing.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

85toyrunner

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2006, 01:20:26 PM »
I had some e brake sticking on my runner when in reverse and when i was taking a sharp turn offroading or in a parking lot but i went through and replaces it all and it stoped i didnt notice any thing different on the old cable it might have been too short cause i replace the rear axle that was wider
Brandon

randito [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2006, 03:51:04 PM »
Guys, thanks for the replies.  I finally got to this today and it's obvious that the e brake is sticking on the driver's side.  I can pry on the bellcrank to make it release, but as soon as I set the  e brake, it will stick again. 

I'm guessing that I need to take the drum off to determine what exactly is causing the e brake cable to stick.  I'd also like to take the drum off to give the rear brakes a good inspection since I've been driving around like this for a while.  Well, I did everything I could think of to get that damn drum off.  Released the shoes with the adjusting star, liquid wrench, banged on the drum with a 2lb sledge, hit around the lip of the drum with a dull chisel and stripped out the threads attempting to screw a couple bolts into the drum.  Repeated this for about 2 hours with no luck. 

So I wondering if anyone's got any tips/techniques that I haven't tried for removing brake drums?  Thanksyou all. 

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2006, 04:14:58 PM »
Guys, thanks for the replies.  I finally got to this today and it's obvious that the e brake is sticking on the driver's side.  I can pry on the bellcrank to make it release, but as soon as I set the  e brake, it will stick again. 

I'm guessing that I need to take the drum off to determine what exactly is causing the e brake cable to stick.  I'd also like to take the drum off to give the rear brakes a good inspection since I've been driving around like this for a while.  Well, I did everything I could think of to get that damn drum off.  Released the shoes with the adjusting star, liquid wrench, banged on the drum with a 2lb sledge, hit around the lip of the drum with a dull chisel and stripped out the threads attempting to screw a couple bolts into the drum.  Repeated this for about 2 hours with no luck. 

So I wondering if anyone's got any tips/techniques that I haven't tried for removing brake drums?  Thanksyou all. 
Did you disconnect the ebrake when doing suspension work or something? Probably stretched the cable out and/or made the shoes thingy-eyed. You might have to adjust the star thingy all the way in.
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2006, 04:28:52 PM »
if the ebrake is sticking, disconnect it then the drum might come off easier, other than that, there is the easy way, buy a new drum, and take the old one off with a hammer in pieces

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 03, 2006, 04:33:42 PM »
there is the easy way, buy a new drum, and take the old one off with a hammer in pieces
unfortunately that's how I had to get my last one off. if u do manage to get it off... run your finger nail around the inside of the drum and make sure there aren't any lips. it should be smooth. if it has been sticking it's possible there could be a lip. if so u must get the drum resurfaced
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

toyotatuner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 03, 2006, 05:01:21 PM »
rocking motion back and forth, or a slide hammer, if you can be creative with mounting it. if all else fails, break the backs off the shoe retainer springs, and unbolt the wheel cylinder, and take the whole brake assembly out as a unit.(the shoes will fall out now)
Good Luck! :thumbs:

randito [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 04, 2006, 11:14:16 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but I don't quite understand taking the drum off in pieces with a hammer? 

there is the easy way, buy a new drum, and take the old one off with a hammer in pieces

Just for a little more detail, the suspension is completely stock and I adjusted the stars to pull the shoes in as far as possible.  The drum spins freely once I adjusted the star, so I don't think that that's my issue and I didn't have a hard time getting that passenger side off.  I'm thinking that maybe I could try to heat up the drum with a propane torch?  If that doesn't work, I'll probably take it to a shop. 

RRMike

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2006, 12:03:35 AM »
remove the backing plate nuts on the rear, the brake line and the e-brake cable.  Pull the whole axle out.  Throw in the garage for a spare and get a whole new assembly for 20 bucks.  That's what I did.

toyotatuner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2006, 09:48:31 AM »
your stuck on a lip that the brake shoe created inside the brake drum, if you break off those retainers it and disconnect the wheel cylinder it should come off, of do like RRMike Said,take to whole axle assembly out. Please, by no means go beating off the drum, you could break more than that. If you do decide to go that route, wear some good eye protection

fullthrottle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 177
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 07, 2006, 04:40:50 AM »
in the yello is y you can't get it off.  thak it all off and get a new one then you got a spar :_order:
SASed 94 pu- marlin crawler 4'' springs, 5.29s aussie R lockright F 30spline longs , crawler box and 37'' SSR's

toyotatuner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 07, 2006, 12:04:55 PM »
what do you guys use to draw this stuff? im on 2002ACADlt...
-John

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 07, 2006, 04:54:44 PM »
that drawing looks like msn Paint

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 07, 2006, 05:21:38 PM »

on most yota axles theres a small phillips head bolt  holding the drum  to the axle flange

if you have that  removed,  then  open the bleeder on that side.  work  the e brake lever on the backside of the brake  and  it should come off
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

randito [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 08, 2006, 05:04:13 PM »
Well, I finally got the drum off.  Actually I didn't get it off, but my friendly neighborhood mechanic did.  I pulled the axle out, but still couldn't get the drum off.  Finally when I took it to the shop, they sprayed it with some WD-40 and hit it much harder than I had with a mini-sledge.  Turns out that the axle and drum were rusted together. 

Everything looks pretty good, no grooves in the shoes or drums.  Now I just have to take it apart to figure out why the e-brake bell crank is sticking.  Thanks for the help, hopefully it all goes smooth from here on.   :crossed:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 08, 2006, 06:25:33 PM »
im sure the springs broke