Author Topic: fuel pump issues?  (Read 1338 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
fuel pump issues?
« on: Oct 21, 2006, 07:55:44 PM »
I was on my way to class this morning, and my truck decided to take a dive.  Speedo dropped to 0, and I lost all power.  Pulled over to the side of the road, got out and checked some wires, got back in tried to start it.  It'll crank fine, but won't start.  No smell of gas either.  Just went out a little while ago listened for the fuel pump when the truck is turned on, NADA.  Pulled a fuel line, tried to start the truck.  Once again, NADA.

So I'm thinking its the fuel pump.  For the last few weeks (and it actually happened before the roundup as well)  My truck will stutter every once in a while, it is an instantaneous event, and it only happened occasionly.  I'm guessing it was in its death throes, andfinally decided to crap out today.  I'm pretty confident its the fuel pump, but I figured I'd get a 2nd opinion :thumbs:

Thanks
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: fuel pump issues?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2006, 07:58:44 PM »
have you looked into the fuel pump relay yet? last summer the one on our explorer crapped out.....

i guess it stranded my mom a couple times.. she tried to start it, it wouldnt start, she called my dad, he came and then it started without an issue...

i knew it wanst the fuel pump, because i had replaced the pump 6 months before..... so i popped the hood, and smacked the relay as my dad tried to start it, the relay then clicked and it started....

we replaced the relay that day and it hasnt happened since
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2006, 08:00:25 PM »
Check your connections too.  You may have a wire pulling out of the connector or a loose connection.  Never rule out the simple problems!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2006, 08:01:56 PM »
have you looked into the fuel pump relay yet? last summer the one on our explorer crapped out.....

i guess it stranded my mom a couple times.. she tried to start it, it wouldnt start, she called my dad, he came and then it started without an issue...

i knew it wanst the fuel pump, because i had replaced the pump 6 months before..... so i popped the hood, and smacked the relay as my dad tried to start it, the relay then clicked and it started....

we replaced the relay that day and it hasnt happened since

haven't checked it, (too dark)  but usually that'll happen when starting.  We had some of the same issues with an old van. I'll check it tommorow and see though.  I  was going 75 on the freeway, and my power took a dive

Check your connections too.  You may have a wire pulling out of the connector or a loose connection.  Never rule out the simple problems!
Thats another thing I need to check.  I had to go to the class, so I didn't spend time messing with it then.  And it was too dark when I got home. 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent