Author Topic: Which transfer case mount to use???  (Read 2231 times)

sege

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -36
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Which transfer case mount to use???
« on: Aug 27, 2006, 09:25:17 PM »
I have an '85 4Runner that needs a replacement transfer case mount.  I ordered one, only saying I wanted a V6 4x4 mount because it's beefier, and was sent Toyota part #12371-65010.  It is obviously the wrong one, as one of the mounting ears is quite a bit taller than the other.  Does anyone know the correct Toyota part number for the heavy duty transfer case mount, like the one Marlin sells???  All I got off a search on Pirate is that it MIGHT be this one: 87-8903 RN6# PN 12371-35050... :help:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: Which transfer case mount to use???
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2006, 09:50:27 PM »
you need a 4cyl. mount.  The 6cyl mount is very different.  :yupyup: 

You'll find it on this page right here :thumbs:
http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/transfercase/tcase_ac.htm

This guy right here

Toyota Heavy Duty Transfer Case Mount
Toyota makes different mounts for 4cyl and V6 applications but the larger V6 unit will fit all 4cyl and V6 applications from 1982-1995. Therefore, this makes for an excellent Heavy Duty stock replacement or as a second mount when used with our dual case crossmember. Factory new Toyota OEM part.

MC-14214, Transfer Case Mount, Heavy Duty, $110 (each)

:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

sege [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2006, 10:11:43 PM »
Yes, thank you for the info :beerchug:, I know that mount is what I need.  However, I have a source for discount OEM parts that is much cheaper than what I've found looking on the web, BUT, I need a Toyota part number to get the correct part.  So is the info on this website describing the mount incorrect?  A V6 mount will not work for a 4 cylinder application? 

I just need to find the right part number!  But, it may be that the newer (87 and newer, I think) 22R transfer case mounts are beefier than my 85's, and that it may be identical to the one sold by Marlin, but I just wanna be sure...  Besides, having a correct part number will help others down the road who are in the same boat as me!

Here's a link to the Toy FAQ on Pirate that ALMOST gives me the exact info I need - the info was just never confirmed...   http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112763

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2006, 10:25:08 PM »
Yes, the info on Marlin's page is incorrect.  I had to massacre my 6cyl mount to fit the 4cyl t-case when I went to duals.

I wish I could help you with the part #s, but I'm not sure what they are. 

I've got a spare mount I'm not using (and my massacred one :hahaha: ) if you're interested.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Aug 27, 2006, 10:31:49 PM »
If I can remember, I'll get you a Toy part # tomorrow at work. 

BTW, If you try to get one aftermarket(NAPA, etc) ask for one for an 88 4cyl auto.  All the listings I have at work show the wrong mount, unless I look up 88 auto. :twocents:

sege [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 27, 2006, 10:42:04 PM »
Good info guys, thanks! :biggthumpup:  So Blackdog, is that a pic of the V6 mount?  Was it taller on one side than the other?  It looks like the one I have...

I actually found more info on Pirate *note to self: learn to search bettah :smack:* and it looks like the mount with part #12371-35050 is the 4 cylinder mount with more beef to it.  I'll post more exact info when I can...  Gonna double check one last time with the parts guy tomorrow and I'll post back!

sege [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 27, 2006, 10:51:55 PM »
OOPS! :punish:

I think I posted this in the wrong forum... :smack:  Guess the mods will move it accordingly... :slap: :spankbutt: ;)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 27, 2006, 10:58:30 PM »
Good info guys, thanks! :biggthumpup:  So Blackdog, is that a pic of the V6 mount?  Was it taller on one side than the other?  It looks like the one I have...

I actually found more info on Pirate *note to self: learn to search bettah :smack:* and it looks like the mount with part #12371-35050 is the 4 cylinder mount with more beef to it.  I'll post more exact info when I can...  Gonna double check one last time with the parts guy tomorrow and I'll post back!

yeah, thats the v6.  I screwed up, I meant to post the massacred pic.  Guess it helps to preview huh?

here's the right one

-Ronald Reagan