Author Topic: About to get a 94 PU with 3.0L...  (Read 2002 times)

ZachMan

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
About to get a 94 PU with 3.0L...
« on: Aug 14, 2006, 05:24:06 AM »
I have been searching and people say the 3.0L is not a great engine and I read about the head gasket issues. Anyways th truck is a 94 ext cab v6 auto SAS and has 120k miles and one owner. The guy said he has never had a problem with it. I was wondering do I run the truck until it does have a problem or do I need to get the head gasket fixed before any issues? Or whats a cheap(er) motor swap? Not looking for huge power, but not looking to go 4cyl either.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: About to get a 94 PU with 3.0L...
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 2006, 08:13:30 AM »
i would run it till you have a problem,  some 3.0's  never have trouble   just the luck of the draw i guess
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 2006, 08:20:21 AM »
I have been searching and people say the 3.0L is not a great engine and I read about the head gasket issues. Anyways th truck is a 94 ext cab v6 auto SAS and has 120k miles and one owner. The guy said he has never had a problem with it. I was wondering do I run the truck until it does have a problem or do I need to get the head gasket fixed before any issues? Or whats a cheap(er) motor swap? Not looking for huge power, but not looking to go 4cyl either.
check out toybuilds build up thread, i gave him a drivable 92 s10 blazer with a 4.3 v6, and he paid 700 for a harness, computer, and fuel system, and an adapter to go from a chev v6 to a toy tranny is about 400, you can find 4.3 equiped trucks all day for 500...might think about that

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #3 on: Aug 14, 2006, 08:43:15 AM »
I'd just leave 'er be, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Like Glen said some never have trouble with the head gasket. The ones that do seem to constantly have the issue, the ones that don't run forever. It is a common problem but not an epidemic but once the bug bites it seems to be chronic.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

ZachMan [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 14, 2006, 09:00:17 AM »
Well the guy just told me he did replace the head gasket and timing belt last year for the first time. He said thats the only issue he has had and he just told me to not run the engine real hot.

The main thing is its a one owner truck that got a SAS done and bobed bed for $2800 so I don't think I can go wrong. Its mainly so cheap cause it has dents and dings, but its gonna be my trail/once in awhile driver. Might see 2-4k miles a year.
« Last Edit: Aug 14, 2006, 09:07:20 AM by ZachMan »

ZachMan [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 14, 2006, 09:04:17 AM »
check out toybuilds build up thread, i gave him a drivable 92 s10 blazer with a 4.3 v6, and he paid 700 for a harness, computer, and fuel system, and an adapter to go from a chev v6 to a toy tranny is about 400, you can find 4.3 equiped trucks all day for 500...might think about that

Thats a good idea.

Sorry I am not familar with Yotas, does this truck I ma getting have an AW4 like my XJ or something else? I love those aisen warners.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #6 on: Aug 14, 2006, 09:06:12 AM »
Toyota 4wd is part-time 2wd really is 2wd, that's why they get decent gas mileage.

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 1,392
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 15, 2006, 08:33:23 AM »
Don't expect a huge power gain over a 22R/RE with a 3.0.

ZachMan [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 15, 2006, 08:57:27 AM »
I know my buddy has a '92.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #9 on: Aug 15, 2006, 08:58:16 AM »

One time at the 4Runner Jamboree I gave a guy that broke his U-joint a ride to Bakersfield to get a new one. He had a 4Runner with the 3.0 and commented that my Turbo 4Runner 22ret had more power than his 3.0. Oddly enough though my brother who had a 91 extra cab had more power than my 4Runner.
« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2006, 09:05:49 AM by Rocksurfer »

sof'indetermined

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 112
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 15, 2006, 06:44:40 PM »
my 3.0 has 150,000 plus, runs great, not much power i am in need of more for sure so a swap is in the near future but not all 3.0s have issues only most of them. its a little better than a stock 22r but not by much, not enough to matter anyways.
83 yota that wheels
04 wrx wagon that hauls butt
assorted crap that mostly doesnt do anything

Plowking

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -75
  • Male Posts: 504
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #11 on: Aug 16, 2006, 08:42:42 PM »
My 3.0 runs great the best thing you could do is first check the timing belt for dry rott and wear, when it snaps it will trash the top end, go for the k and n air filter if you are mainly out of the deep puddles, the air box location is known for sucking down water into motor. I have seen it happen.

Good Luck
2008 Dodge Diesel  (Cummins Rule)
6.7 manual quad 8 foot bed H&S delete, banks air box
93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R

Alpine4x4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Im special
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 17, 2006, 01:57:24 AM »
Have you put the two side by side?  Me and my friend ran the same suspension setup, same tire size and he had a 22re i had the 3.0.  I could out pull him up hills all day long.  Yes it isnt the most powerfull engine but it kicks the crap outta the 22-re when it comes to torque. 
My 3.0 has 257k on it and going strong and my friend has 270k on his still running.  Mine has had the heads done at 250k and dno if his has the heads done.  Good little engines...pushed 110 and can pull 95 with 33" swampers!!!
1986 Toyota 4Runner-SAS-22re-Comp Cam-Downey Headers-Bored .40 over-Flowmaster-Full Rebuild-6" Lift-35x14.5 Boggers-Lockright f/r-Geared-Hysteer-Being full rebuilt!
-Rolled and sold-
1989 V6 Ext. Cab SR5  1.5" BJ spacer lift, 2" custom shackles, 33x10.5 swamper tsl radials, cragar steelies, marlin ceramic clutch.

Plowking

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #13 on: Aug 17, 2006, 04:23:53 AM »
I will say the 3.0 i have verses 22R I had, the 3.0 has twice the balls and low end for pushing snow and just driving and clumbing hills, the 22r was beat though
93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R

howdy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '03
  • I Love My Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 17, 2006, 12:17:37 PM »
My 3.0 runs great the best thing you could do is first check the timing belt for dry rott and wear, when it snaps it will trash the top end, go for the k and n air filter if you are mainly out of the deep puddles, the air box location is known for sucking down water into motor. I have seen it happen.

Good Luck

The 3.0 is actually a non-interference engine, so if your timing belt were to go it would not make contact with the valves like the 4cyl engine would.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 17, 2006, 12:47:01 PM »
i would run it till you have a problem,  some 3.0's  never have trouble   just the luck of the draw i guess

I was talking to my brothers' friend about this a while ago.  He has a toy 3.0 with over 300k miles on it, and has never had a problem, and it's always been a delivery truck for his junk yard.  He knows about the head problems, he's just been lucky.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 17, 2006, 05:23:27 PM »
I wouldn't hesitate for that price, especially since he's had the heads done just last year.  I can speak from the other side, went through 2 engines and put in a third in one year.  Original motor went out at 185K, 2nd went out at about 190K, and the third is going strong at a little over 200K ( I think)  :pokinit: happens, not my favorite engines, but hey, when the run they run well :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Plowking

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #17 on: Aug 17, 2006, 05:32:34 PM »

The 3.0 is actually a non-interference engine, so if your timing belt were to go it would not make contact with the valves like the 4cyl engine would.
Dont buy it, I bought my blue truck with a bad timing belt and it needed a head and it had a bent valve total bs
just check the belt thats all i am saying 40.00 for the belt is worth avoiding the aggrivation and fresh new history
93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 17, 2006, 05:37:35 PM »
Dont buy it, I bought my blue truck with a bad timing belt and it needed a head and it had a bent valve total bs
just check the belt thats all i am saying 40.00 for the belt is worth avoiding the aggrivation and fresh new history

I'd check the belt anyway, but it is a PITA to replace, and you have to tear off the front of the motor to do it.  However, the 3.0 is a noninterference motor :yupyup: 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent